Ryse season pass grants 14 multiplayer maps and an extra game mode for $20

Saturday, 2nd November 2013 19:35 GMT By Phil Owen

Yes, Crytek’s Xbox One-Exclusive Ryse: Son of Rome will have a season pass for four post-launch downloadable content packs. It will cost $20, and the packs will combine for 14 new co-op Gladiator Mode maps, some new mode and new skins, weapons, and so on. Some math after the break.

The Xbox Wire — or Xblog as I call it — says the season pass price is “a more than 25 percent discount versus buying each add-on pack individually.” “More than 25 percent” here would indicate they’ll be $7 each (making for 28.5-percent savings on the season pass).

1. Francis O

This is a rip-off. Let me get this straight Microsoft:

Xbox One: $499.99
    Xbox Live: $59.99
    Ryse Son of Rome: $59.99
    Ryse Season pass: $19.99
    Extra controller: $59.99

= $700 without tax …… Seriously? Microsoft can keep their TV box and overpriced games/services

Whatever happened to buying a game…..and you got the full game for your money.

#1 6 months ago
  2. N7Caboose

Extra controller and Season Pass is optional. Microsoft isn’t the only one doing this so why are you surprised at this?? Im sure if nintendo was fully into this then they would do it!!

#2 6 months ago
  3. traumadisaster

Have u seen the game footage? I will slurp it up! We are buying luxury tech…did you think we were picking up a spot of milk custard? When someone trips my trigger such as this (Rome & Star Wars) they win I’ll pay premium. Have you seen the live action series on Ryse, I will pay out da ass foe dat too! Im pumped playin rome 2 now this comes out, been watchin rome stuff on tv, it is THE LORE! You win Bill, good call on this IP. I’d do the same for sw battlefield3, just give what I want and I will pay!

#3 6 months ago
  4. Diingo

So in other words you’re passively accepting the cancer within the industry.

The most I can hope for is another video game crash so that the phoenix can rise from the ashes. It’s become too big and corporations are neglecting our favorite hobby because the passion for gaming has been pushed to the side for the sake of higher profits.

#4 6 months ago
  5. UuBuU

@1 Its even harder to stomach when the season pass content is nothing more than the kind of content modders produce huge amounts of for free in PC games.

Consoles = overpriced and poor value for money

Ryse (and pretty much all the other big name console exclusives) = garbage

Why even bother with next gen?

#5 6 months ago
  6. polygem

@3:oh, so the people these things are made for really do exist. to me ryse itself and that live action crap did nothing…oh sweet 16.

#6 6 months ago
  7. polygem

“Why even bother with next gen?”

destiny and a the possibility of a demons souls related game, oh and a new medievil game – maybe…
    these are the only reasons i can come up with right now.

#7 6 months ago
  8. N7Caboose

@4 if it is worth it then i am all for it, ive only bought 2 season passes and one of them came in the limited edtion of the game and that was halo and the borderlands 2 dlc both for me were worth it.
    If it is a game that i have no real interest in then these season passes are nothing! If its one i like and feel that it will be worth it then yeah ill get it!
    So im all for it if it is something that people are interested in! If your not then who cares it dosent affect you in the slightest :)

#8 6 months ago
  9. Francis O

Nice Fallacy you idiot.

#9 6 months ago
  10. noamlol2

meanwhile you can get the witcher 3 full for 60$ with no external fees

and it’s a better game too

so FUCK YOU MICROSOFT

#10 6 months ago
  11. TheBlackHole

Or… And I know this is controversial… You could just NOT BUY IT.

I know. Radical, right?

Complaining about the price of content most of you don’t even want is absurd. Vote with your wallets. Consumers will always win out. Fact is, a lot of people are totally cool paying for extra content and see it as good value.

#11 6 months ago
  12. traumadisaster

Not only do people like me exist I also game in 4k on a titan but cant get ryse on pc yet. I also found some 360 arcade golf game that entertained me for 9 holes. Its all in the mood I happen to be in, and we should be fine with whoever having fun in whatever way.

#12 6 months ago
  13. UuBuU

@11 Fact is, a lot of consumers are stupid and don’t know when they’re being ripped off.

Oblivion’s horse armor sold well. It was all the uproar and complaining that made Bethesda realise they were doing something wrong, not poor sales.

#13 6 months ago
  14. polygem

@12: sure man, sorry. i was acting like a grumpy ol’ ass :)

#14 6 months ago
  15. TheBlackHole

Sorry, I don’t buy that stupid consumer crap. People are perfectly capable of understanding basic consumerism.

The difference is that some people have different cost to value thresholds to you, I suspect because you remember the time when a game was a game and dlc didn’t exist.

#15 6 months ago
  16. UuBuU

@15 Actually, I remember a time when games had a potentially limitless amount of new conent for free. That time still exists in PC gaming. It’s called modding.

In selling such overpriced DLC, all developers are doing is taking advantage of console gamers who don’t know any better.

#16 6 months ago
  17. livewired500

@16 I remember a time in PC gaming that we had expansion packs a year after the original game that cost as much as the original with an expansion #2 six months after that. Then they would release a “Gold” edition 6 months later that cost the same as the original. It’s been going on a long time.

Of course, old expansion packs used to give us tons of content and sometimes would update the engine and graphics.

But as for buying DLC before you even know what it is, well Jim Sterling says it better than I: http://www.destructoid.com/jimquisition-reasons-to-pass-on-season-passes-263205.phtml

#17 6 months ago
  18. Nephilimator

Lol don’t support this bullshit. Make sure the thought of this dies with the first attempt.

#18 6 months ago
  19. TheBlackHole

@16 “in selling such overpriced DLC, all developers are doing is”…

Getting paid for the work they’ve done.

Fixed that for you.

#19 6 months ago
  20. aseddon130

I played Ryse at a Xbox One Lock In in my town, it did nothing for me. It looked nice and shiny but by the end of the 15 minute demo i had seen pretty much what the game had to offer and already had seen recycled execution animations. It was really dull.

My friend however, loved the game and is gonna pay £50 for day one version.

#20 6 months ago
  21. Nephilimator

^^ yeah its a gow wanna be with no content. Funny thing is Santa Monica will have a better looking engine and actual content with a real plot.

#21 6 months ago
  22. DarkElfa

They’re doing this because they have gamers figured out. They know what makes us tick and what our psychological profile is. Sometimes they over step, but they get is mostly right.

#22 6 months ago