This is a precious PSA for ESRB ratings

Tuesday, 29th October 2013 16:07 GMT By Phil Owen

Unlike, say, in the UK or Australia, the American ESRB provides game ratings based on age but is not government-sponsored, and so a lot of folks don’t pay too much attention to them. Thus, we get young children playing Grand Theft Auto, and so on. The ESRB is trying to build awareness, then, with this totally cute little PSA.

Having kids is a breeze thanks to the ESRB.

1. SplatteredHouse

Oh, look. The US equivalent of *cough*PEGI*cough* are at it, again.

#1 6 months ago
  2. AmiralPatate

It reminds me of one of GTA IV radio ads. “So you can feel like you’re parenting even when you’re not”.
    But maybe they should try numbers instead of letters. I think 17+ is clearer than M.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Phoenixblight

ESRB is a far better rating system than its movie counterpart. Also the descriptions are far more in depth in telling of its content where that is not the case with MPAA rating.

You can give the parents all the tools in the world but at the end of the day they have to involve themselves in what their child plays, watches, reads and listens to.

#3 6 months ago
  4. DSB

I’ve never loved convoluted censorship this much. Damn that was a good ad :P

#4 6 months ago
  5. AmiralPatate

I don’t know about MPAA, but I was comparing with PEGI. Numbers are universal and clear. M,T,E, it’s fine when you know what it means. If you don’t, it isn’t much help.
    That being said, ESRB rating is much more detailled than PEGI (ie there are nuances like “mild violence” to “intense violence” while PEGI is just on icon with a fist punching the air).

But obviously, all those tools usually go to waste because too many parents don’t care.
    I read something recently about some retailers not selling GTA V to minors, and sometimes parents come back and yell at the clerk because they wouldn’t sell a 18+ game to their 13 year old kid.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Phoenixblight

Part of retail. If the parent wants their 13 year old to have GTA then they should accompany them. THats how I did it and that is when retailers were more lax with ESRB ratings. Now even I get carded and I am well over 30.

#6 6 months ago
  7. AmiralPatate

It also depends on the country. Usually it’s just they don’t want to be take the blame if your kid turns into a bloodthirsty psychopath, even if most retailers don’t care anyway.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Phoenixblight

@7 In AMerica ESRB does secret shopping with minor and if a child is caught purchasing a M game by themselves they get a huge fine. As I said all retailers I know at least the huge chains card you for buying rated M games.

#8 6 months ago
  9. AmiralPatate

Well here there are no law-enforced age limitation on videogames, so big retailers usually don’t ask questions. Only the smaller ones will decide to not sell to a minor.

#9 6 months ago
  10. bradk825

My friend got carded the other day and it was quite funny. He’s just retired from the Canadian Forces after 11 years of service, and he’s been married 5 years, and the guy at EB Games asks if he’s 18. Mike says “Well I hope so!” and the guy says with a straight face “I hope so too.” LOL. So yeah, EB Games is not selling to minors, or, you know, military vets, without picture ID.

Good on them for raising awareness. This is the kind of thing they need to be able to say they tried to do when the next angry parent organization tried to blame video games for all the evil in the world. Parents do need the tools to make good decisions, and step 2 has to be using those tools.

#10 6 months ago
  11. Phoenixblight

Not out here in AMerica again I have been carded every time I have gone into Gamestop, Best buy and Walmart when purchasing a rated M game. It may not be law-enforced but ESRB and retailers have an agreement you sell to a minor you get a fat fine(its around 5k)

#11 6 months ago