Ouya CEO: “We made a lot of mistakes”

Tuesday, 22nd October 2013 23:25 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Ouya founder and CEO Julie Uhrman has copped to the company’s mistakes over its troubled history, and vowed to do better.

Uhrman made a presentation at Portland’s XOXO festival in September at which she discussed Ouya’s many stumbles on its path from wild dream to purchasable reality.

“We have done a lot of things wrong. We’ve made a lot of mistakes,” she said, as transcribed by Polygon.

“And I think one thing that’s really unique about us is that we’re gonna continue to make them. We’re young, we’re scrappy, we’re moving fast. We’re building this product in the open with you. We got our start with you. We get better every day because we listen to you. Some things are going to resonate and some things aren’t going to resonate.”

Some of the specific issues Uhrman touches on in the video below include shipping problems which left Kickstarter backers waiting well after units were available in shops; problems with the controller; the awkward “Get some” Tweet used to promote – of all things – That Dragon, Cancer; and a terrible leaked ad.

Ouya is an Android-based microconsole which insist all games supply a free-to-play version or demo. It’s available now in Europe and North America.

1. DuckNation

And making the Ouya was the first mistake

#1 9 months ago
  2. Panthro

@1 Well it was crowd-funded, If people didn’t want it they wouldn’t have thrown money at it.

They Ouya only failed on the software front, not hardware.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Legendaryboss

Hey ho!

#3 9 months ago
  4. Pitts

Nah. If I had it to do all over again, I’d back it in a second.

The reality may be a lot harder to live with, but the idea is still golden.

I hope Ouya continues to improve, because we have nothing to lose here and everything to gain as gamers.

#4 9 months ago
  5. monkeygourmet

The Ouya story makes me sad. It was an interesting device.

Watching people hate on people attempting new things is one of the most stomach churning parts of the internet for me. Makes me want to puke.

#5 9 months ago
  6. salarta

@1: More accurately, people hating on the Ouya for being Ouya was the first mistake made by people that hate the Ouya.

#6 9 months ago
  7. DSB

I don’t think startups have the same room to make mistakes these days.

Either way, those mistakes are pretty damaging. Great that they’re human, congratulations to them, but people really want companies that they can trust, and they’ve obviously acted in bad faith, and apparently they couldn’t stop fumbling the ball.

I don’t trust companies like that. If they had acted as soon as people told them there was something incredibly wrong going on, then maybe.

#7 9 months ago
  8. FeaturePreacher

Is ouya dead yet? If not I guess it will be next year.

#8 9 months ago
  9. MrWaffles

The OUYA is not dead. Yes, PR is not doing it a favor, but at this stage it’s still recoverable.

If they get their shit together and release an app store that isn’t completely dumb, then they’ll make a lot of money by the end of the year.

#9 9 months ago