Windows 8.1 is causing mouse lag, which is bad news for gamers

Monday, 21st October 2013 13:58 GMT By Dave Owen

Everyone loves Windows 8. So it comes as a real shock that the newly released Windows 8.1 is causing issues with mouse lag and cursor jumping in some PC games. Games said to be affected are Deus Ex: Human Revolution, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, Metro 2033, and Call of Duty games.

Games that don’t use Raw input for reading mouse movements are the ones suffering, as something has changed in how Windows updates pointer positions. This Reddit thread reporting on the issue contains a sort-of fix that reduces the problem in some games. Hopefully it’s something Microsoft will address quickly.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Pytox

SteamOS will be the solution to this problem ! :p

#1 9 months ago
  2. AmiralPatate

Or Win7.

#2 9 months ago
  3. torjs99

roll on valves linux!

#3 9 months ago
  4. azmza

When SteamOs release what about all Steam windows games can still play them in SteamOs !?.

#4 9 months ago
  5. AmiralPatate

They would need some sort of native Windows virtual machine. Or ask devs to remake all their games.

#5 9 months ago
  6. gomersoul

Windows needs a proper competitor, then they might start making a decent os. Hasn’t been right since xp

#6 9 months ago
  7. NiceFellow

All part of the plan to drive people to XB1…

More seriously I thought I’d get W8 on the back of this but looks like I’ll be sticking with W7 for a while yet.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Panthro

Or an intentional plot to drive even more gamers away from MS… They seem to be doing that a lot lately.

GRAB YER’ TIN FOILY HATS PEOPLES!

#8 9 months ago
  9. The_Red

So true. Pretty much every single electronics giant loses it after periods of being number 1. Sony’s handling of PS3 is the perfect example. Most Windows versions are also like that.

The only reason the likes of Win XP and Win 7 didn’t suck beyond known measures is because they followed absolute disasters.

#9 9 months ago
  10. deadstoned

I was hoping it would be fixed by now, its a massive pain. My PC gets it really bad whenever I ALT TAB to the desktop. Makes the computer unusable.

#10 9 months ago
  11. sebastien rivas

Here I agree 100% with you, well disaster is a big word but I agree in depth.

Now is the most important part…. why does a good windows MUST be preceeded by a series of less good, bad, or nightmarish windows?

MS has the power to make something new, great, and make it right but they do not!
    Why?
    I would really feel like a monkey, dumb, and fucked actually to see myself pay for an OS then pay again for its bigger brother just because it is better written.
    In all truth and sincere assumption Windows 8 is the Windows 95, some major visual overhaul with some addition to thevway windows work over windows 3.1 but extremely clunky and nappealing in many ways hat it will take another version or even 2 versions to go and reach the potential of what windows is supposed to be.

So windows can put some shine and some glitz to sell, as long as thoae clunks exists and as for me as long as there is no overhaul again with the UI hen I ll run away.

#11 9 months ago
  12. ArithonUK

No mouse lag, but PunkBuster is allergic, so BF3 won’t now run at all.

#12 9 months ago
  13. AlchemyFire

I have a hard drive partition just waiting for Steam OS

#13 9 months ago
  14. dizzygear

Funny. The 8.1 update failed for some reason on my machine. I guess it was a good thing in the end.

#14 9 months ago
  15. foofly

@13 just install a Debian based OS into your partition, download and install steam and enjoy. It’ll be the same as Steam OS.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Malmer

Not using raw input seems kinda sloppy of game developers. Even I in my hobby coding projects used raw input for mouse look.

#16 9 months ago
  17. TheWulf

Or just get a number of good hardware and software boffins together to create a Wine-based DirectX compatibility layer. That way, one would be able to install Windows games on Linux. And believe me, I’d be very surprised if that wasn’t cooking over at Valve, right now.

The thing is is that it actually wouldn’t be that hard to do at all, especially if you could get a hardware developer on board in order to speed up the process. And they have that, they’re pretty much in bed with Nvidia at the moment. Nvidia have already refocused on creating Linux drivers, and the framework for Wine DirectX is already present.

Give it a few years and I genuinely think that most gamers will be using Linux and that Linux will be backwards compatible with all Windows games. IT already is backwards compatible with all slightly older games, so…

Yeah. Mark my words on this.

#17 9 months ago
  18. TheWulf

Microsoft continually dropping the ball like this are just opening the field more and more for Valve to move in. There are going to be a lot of pissed off people who’re going to want to switch from Windows to SteamOS. I just hope Valve are handling this right, because if they do…

#18 9 months ago
  19. TheWulf

Yeah. The importance of SteamOS though is in what I pointed out to #5. Consider how much more powerful SteamOS would become if it suddenly had a very successful open source DirectX compatibility layer project available for it, and even pre-installed with it.

Jussayin.

#19 9 months ago
  20. NinjaHart

It seems that MS is always rushing out unfinished OS just to get the most money out of people. That is why I never get a new OS before it’s been out for at least 6 to 12 months. Then the major issuse usually have been fixed and the OS is pretty usable for most activities that your computer is strong enough to handle.

But I am pretty excited about Steam OS, Valve usually does things pretty good so I’m looking forward to a power battle for the best OS in the future.

And I’m wondering where Dave got it from that everyone loves Win 8, everyone I know said it sucks. :)

#20 9 months ago
  21. Ubiwer

After upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, what to do if there is password problem to login Windows 8.1? http://reset-windows-8-1-password.blogspot.com

#21 9 months ago