Xbox One will not contain real name option for Xbox Live at launch – report

Wednesday, 16th October 2013 17:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox One will allow folks to use their real names through Xbox Live, but the option will not be made available at launch, a Microsoft representative has said.

Speaking with Kotaku, the representative’s comment comes after Xbox One’s friends app was revealed earlier this week, but only showed users’ Gamertags and not real names.

“While real identities continue to be part of our plans for the experience on Xbox One, at launch, customers will continue to search for friends using their Gamertags,” the representative said.

“Our teams are working hard to deliver a quality experience for Xbox One. This means prioritizing some features and sometimes postponing others for a later update.

Sony announced a similar option with PlayStation Newtork on PlayStation 4, but have not confirmed whether the option will be available at launch next month.

1. noamlol2

“big deal!”

who’s stupid enough to use their real name with a community which is top notch of using racial slurs and other low end insults

#1 10 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

Uh, stupid people: duh :)

But seriously MS has a reputation system which is reported to keep track on Good or Badsports.

#2 10 months ago
  3. noamlol2

@2 if you say so

the last reputation system didn’t do shit

when you like prefer/avoid player it didn’t do jack!

i still bumped around the douches i marked as bad sports

but who knows, MS might pull it off right

for me, i know steam’s can do a better job then that.

#3 10 months ago
  4. bradk825

I would really rather leave my full name out of it, but I assume that’ll be an option like it is now.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Panthro

Im willing to bet alot of kids wouldnt like there full name being on display, since alot of them like to scream racist and sometimes quite disturbing things down the microphone.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Putting your real name on the internet is among the most stupid things you can do.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Dragon

^Agreed 100%.
    Only morons do that.
    Celebrities are a separate case though.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

I have one of the most generic names on the planet (Michael O’Connor) so this is absolutely no issue whatsoever to me.

People get too obsessed about the concept of privacy sometimes. Using your name will not impact in your life in any meaningful way, and will be visible to whoever you choose to make it visible to. Personally, I like the idea of having my friends list personalised with my real life friend’s names.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Dragon

^It also helps that you run (or ran?) a gaming site doesn’t it? So I would put you in the “celebrity” list.

#9 10 months ago
  10. monkeygourmet

I wish I hadn’t posted my real name on VG247, there are some real fucking freaks on here who get off on abusing that kind of information.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@9 I would hardly call myself a celebrity. That’s really stretching the term. I also used to run under a pen name for a while. I’ve had my share of death threats, mind.

@10 I’m pretty sure if they are that they’re probably breaking some privacy laws, and a quick word with Pat would quickly go amiss.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Dragon

There you go, an example of crying over spilled milk :D

Edit-
    Says the guy who got “B.A.N.N.E.D.” himself.
    How does it feel to share the honours with Da Man, TEA and Shatner?

Oh well, looks like you need the same treatment as dear Francis. Buh bye.

@11,
    That is what its about. As you said, if you put it out, be sure to grow a thick skin and not being a platform fanboy.
    Da Man anyone ? :D

#12 10 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

There you go, being a prick again! :)

I’ve never bothered going to Pat about anything, even though certain things could have quite happily got people banned etc… Dragon is the master snitch, we don’t need anymore here.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Legendaryboss

Oh boy.

#14 10 months ago
  15. monkeygourmet

Legendaryboss’s boner throbbing with anticipation.gif

#15 10 months ago
  16. Legendaryboss

Not sure if stupid or just trolling?

#16 10 months ago
  17. SCAssassin

Those avatars want to consume my soul.

#17 10 months ago
  18. taternuggets

This is about as disappointing as the ability to smash my controller into my forehead not being supported at launch.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Legendaryboss

Um, okay?

#19 10 months ago
  20. Ireland Michael

@12 There’s a big difference between having your name in the public domain and letting some friends on your friends list see it in the news feeds.

Regardless of how I feel about people’s overreaction to privacy issues, nobody has a right to be harassed about their identity, and websites and business are legally obliged to respect that fact.

@13 Dealing with your privacy is not being a “snitch”. This isn’t high school.

#20 10 months ago
  21. _LarZen_

I kinda like that one can use your full name, I would actually prefer if they required it from all online players.

About time people stop hiding behind made up names and thinking they can say or write whatever they want and get away with it.

About time there is more consequences for being a jerk online.

But for me personally I have no idea who the people on my friends list are anymore. It’s a bunch of silly avatar names.

#21 10 months ago
  22. monkeygourmet

“Dealing with your privacy is not being a “snitch”. This isn’t high school.”

No, but it’s close.

I seem to recall a thread set up by Gheritt or someone similar where VG247 users posted pics with no drama. Times change obviously and certain people will abuse that kind of positive thing.

#22 10 months ago
  23. bradk825

@19 in other words he doesn’t give a fuck, lol. He won’t be providing his full name, just like he won’t be smashing himself in the face.

#23 10 months ago
  24. derpachu

Thank fucking god. I bet if it was people would be saying “EVN MOAR LYKE TWITTER NAOW!

#24 10 months ago
  25. ps4ever

@21 silly as your made up name _LarZen_, it is you that is the online jerk here.

#25 10 months ago
  26. edragon

When I read this article I was shocked. Really they add option to search by real names? Are you kidding me?

So I contacted with Microsoft. They confirmed this article is BS! For Microsoft, users privacy is very important and there will be no such a function like VG24/7 wrote here.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Ireland Michael

“For Microsoft, users privacy is very important ”

Ell ooh ell.