Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Rayman: Legends failed to meet Ubisoft’s expectations

Wednesday, 16th October 2013 03:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Ubisoft has admitted that couple of key current-gen titles have under-performed, contributing to revised financial forecasts issued earlier today.

During an investor conference call reported by CVG, Ubisoft chief financial officer Alain Martinez confirmed that neither Splinter Cell: Blacklist nor Rayman Legends met sales performance expectations.

“As we have said we have experienced lower sales than we anticipated when we gave our targets. Already released games such as Splinter Cell, Rayman and others,” he said.

Ubisoft lays some of the blame on the upcoming console transition, believing users aren’t keen to invest in platforms they’ll be replacing soon.

The publisher has accordingly lowered its financial forecasts for the coming year, but admits that a good chunk of the missing change comes down to the delay next-gen titles, specifically Watch Dogs.

“Watch Dogs was trending towards the higher part of our guidance because the pre-orders were very good. We had more units than we had on the original plan,” Martinez said.

1. aaron_avelino

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is a great game, it’s one of my most anticipated titles this year and i think it’s under appreciated. Please Ubisoft do not cancel the Splinter Cell series or any Tom Clancy brand :(

#1 9 months ago
  2. Jerykk

Blacklist is a good SC game, though you wouldn’t know it from how they marketed it. Instead of trying (and failing) to appeal to the CoD market, they should focus on marketing to people who actually play stealth games. After the sham that was Conviction, a lot of Splinter Cell and stealth fans in general had basically written off the series. When Blacklist’s debut footage showed Sam getting into firefights and calling in airstrikes, these people just wrote it off again.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Triggerhappy

As a matter of principle I refused to buy the new Splinter Cell due to the dropping of Michael Irons as the voice of Fisher, and I hope the lackluster sales are related to this in some way. Ubi has given the two’s-up here to long term fans in hope of bringing in a new and younger audience. It’s the old fabled tale of new customers getting a better deal than the old ones, or new customers being the focus rather than existing ones. I mean imagine it was 2005… and at the height of Splinter Cell popularity… if it had been announced that Irons was getting bumped??… people would have went nuts.

But rather than taking to the Ubi forums or signing petitions and being a moany bastard (like right now) I’ll just not buy the game.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Ekona

Yeah, I totally stopped watching Home And Away after they replaced Pippa with someone else. Ruined it for me then, too. :(

SCB was ace. I loved SCC, and if anything SCB was better presented. I enjoyed having the option of going through a level three different ways, without being penalised too harshly for any approach.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Triggerhappy

@4: Thanks man, glad someone else here can feel my pain :P

#5 9 months ago
  6. Fluffytoast

Well, this sucks, especially considering the quality of both. I’ve definitely been a fan of both series for a very long time.

I really loved Rayman Legends, it was a ‘more of the same’ type sequel, but it improved just about everything with Origins, fleshing it out so it was more than just a series of levels. Something gives me the bad feeling that Rayman is going to be abandoned again, but we can hope, right?

With Splinter Cell, I definitely felt like it was good, but a mixed bag. The gameplay was great, it was good to see non-lethal and perfectionist type runs return. Maybe this was just me, but the story/characters/overall set-up felt soul-less, like they had to keep the series going, so do everything they can to ignore the events of Conviction (Third Echelon becoming corrupt, etc)

#6 9 months ago
  7. junguler

loved blacklist and rayman is their best franchise in my opinion, these guys don’t really know what gamers want.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Jerykk

@3 Boycotting a game because it has a new voice actor is pretty dumb. Gameplay > voice acting. Was it disappointing that Ironside was replaced? Definitely. Does that warrant dismissing the entire game and all the hard work that the actual devs put into it? No. You need to reassess your priorities when it comes to games.

#8 9 months ago
  9. GwynbleiddiuM

^Not to mention the new guy did a decent job on that too. Blacklist was a challenging and good stealth game. It definitely was better by miles from last couple of titles in the series.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Agt_Pendergast

Blacklist is easily the best Splinter Cell game this gen. I kinda wish they cut out the big dumb action scene moments that bookend a few of the levels, though. I’m totally digging Spies Vs. Mercs as I haven’t had a chance to try it out back in the Pandora’s Tomorrow/Chaos Theory days.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Dunno

Good! Maybe next time they think before start making another crappy splinter cell game

#11 9 months ago