Frictional Games releases new SOMA video teaser

Monday, 7th October 2013 13:41 GMT By Dave Owen

The mystery of Frictional Games’ upcoming PS4 game continues, as the developer has released a mysterious new live action trailer. It’s called ‘SOMA: Item #4017 – “Mockingbird”‘, tying in with the recently unveiled SOMA teaser site. It’s best to check it out for yourself. Warning, it contains some strong language, so don’t play it out loud at work.

The trailer follows another, which was titled ‘SOMA Item #2656 – “Vivarium.”

Frictional Games is the developer of Penumbra and Amnesia: The Dark Descent, so expectation is rather high. The game, whatever it might be, is currently thought by many to be a PS4 exclusive, though there hasn’t been official confirmation of this. Hopefully more will become known as the mystery unravels.

1. Old MacDonald

“The game, whatever it might be, is currently thought to be a PS4 exclusive with no PC release planned.” – What?!? Well, that ruined my day.

#1 7 months ago
  2. TheBlackHole

Sadly, this video was much less interesting than the last one.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m fascinated to see where this goes, but a half decent actor and some explanation for those not reading the website as to why the video is weird (nobody explains that he’s disassembled himself and has randomly appropriated someone’s personality – someone who happens to work in that fascility) wouldn’t have gone amiss.

#2 7 months ago
  3. AttilioCarotenuto

Looks great!

“Frictional Games is the developer of Machinarium and Amnesia: The Dark Descent”

I think you meant Penumbra. Machinarium is from Amanita Studios.

#3 7 months ago
  4. TheBlackHole

Eh? Where on earth did this come from?

Don’t believe that for a second.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Dave Owen

@3 I do mean Penumbra! I almost made the mistake of including A Machine for Pigs too!

@4 I see mixed things about this, but at the moment only the PS4 release has been touted. It probably will end up on PC, but only the PS4 is confirmed.

#5 7 months ago
  6. TheBlackHole

Can you say where? Was it an interview? A press release?

#6 7 months ago
  7. Dave Owen

Hmm, I’m increasingly unsure about this. I thought it was quite definitively a PS4 exclusive, as that’s how I’ve frequently seen it discussed. It’s certainly been PlayStation publications that are really focusing on it. But looking around at forums and whatnot, there’s a great deal of uncertainty. While some are saying PS4 exclusive, others are certain it’ll be on PC too…

#7 7 months ago
  8. TheBlackHole

@7 Okay, cool. Maybe somebody knows something we don’t.

Sony aren’t in the business of paying for exclusives, and Amnesia absolutely thrived on Steam, so I would be absolutely astounded if they go next gen exclusive.

Frictional are only an indie team after all – they are not really in a position to be bringing a new IP into a new gen with a tiny install base.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Erthazus

Where Frictional Games said that this is PS4 exclusive?

What the F?

Since when? Their previous awesome games were only on the PC and when someone announced it? Who and where said something about Playstation 4?

#9 6 months ago
  10. Legendaryboss

Its not, the platforms are still a mystery, but it is hinted to be coming on a PlayStation platform/s.

So no, not exclusive to anyones knowledge.

#10 6 months ago
  11. Erthazus

I’m buying PS4 though at some point but I want to play Frictional game on the PC.

Machine for Pigs from “Chinese room” was a complete and stupid mess that should not exist while amnesia was a blast.

#11 6 months ago
  12. Erthazus

Oh look Dave Owen, i’m sure this is coming to WiiU you know why? Because that woman has WiiU Gamepad in her hands in the trailer…

Sweet mother of Logic

#12 6 months ago
  13. Jerykk

You’re mistaking this with “Everybody’s Gone to Rapture,” a PS4 exclusive made by The Chinese Room, devs of Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs. No platforms have been announced for Soma.

#13 6 months ago
  14. fearmonkey

That trailer was awesome and I enjoyed the first one too. I hope they manage to make the game just as interesting as the videos here.

I bet it’s on PC and might be on PS4, probably would be on Xbone then too.
    As Erth mentioned, they are primarily a PC dev but you never know.

#14 6 months ago
  15. Pitts

I hadn’t heard anything about platforms, but I suppose assumed it was at least inbound for PC given their track record.

It would be pretty disappointing for me personally if it was suddenly locked to one platform.

#15 6 months ago