Xbox One: gigaflops and teraflops don’t matter, games do – Harrison

Tuesday, 1st October 2013 11:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One and PS4 are locked in something of a verbal format war ahead of launch, with commentators on either side touting raw stats and numbers at one another like spec-missiles. Microsoft’s Phil Harrison has said none of that matters, as long as the game library is strong.

Speaking with Edge, Harrison said, “Well I think there’s a couple of things I would say, one is that every platform I’ve ever been involved in somebody has said ‘oh, this has got more gigaflops or more teraflops than the other one,’ and at the end of the day it never really matters.

“It’s all about having the best games and having the most impressive experiences, and clearly Xbox One has the best games. So that would be my first response.”

He added, “The other is that any time that you ask a developer – including, by the way, our own internal studios – in the run up to launch of a console you’re going to get a slightly nuanced answer because the operating system’s not finished, the performance of the machine’s not locked, and as you may be aware we can increase CPU and GPU capability on Xbox One.

“So I think it’s impossible to draw any conclusions from that based on pre-launch unfinished hardware and unfinished operating systems. My main response is going to be always that it’s about having the best game experiences and the widest possible set of content that people want to play.”

What do you think? If the games are there are you even bothered about the fine spec details, or do you feel it matters to the long-term prospect of a new console?

Let us know below.

1. Hcw87

True that.

PS4 got Killzone and Driveclub and that’s about it.

#1 10 months ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

“It’s all about having the best games…and clearly Xbox One has the best games.”

Matter of opinion though I guess (though not necessarily his MS-paid option) but personally Forza and Ryse do nothing for me. Dead Rising…maybe, but got burnt on the last two. Everything else is pretty much multi-platform so…?

#2 10 months ago
  3. freedoms_stain

Xbox exclusives were so exciting I sold my 360 and bought a PS3.

So yeah, I’m totally shit-your-pants excited for what Xbox has this generation.

Totally.

#3 10 months ago
  4. fengato

It does matter – the better quality of 3rd party titles on 360 made me shift primarily to the MS camp last gen (I just purchased Sony exclusives for PS3.) If the PS4 is consistently the stronger platform, then Xbox has lost the very thing they coaxed me over with in the first place.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Fin

“gigaflops and teraflops don’t matter”

“We’ve got the infinite power of the cloud”

#5 10 months ago
  6. Joe Anderson

Not sure why Xbox has the best games? Not much in it really. PS4 has loads of exclusive downloadable titles on Day one, as well as it’s retail titles. Xbox One has Dead Rising 3, Forza and Rise. Not a lot else. I think both consoles are a bit light on content and will be for a while. We all know Sony will have amazing exclusives due to it’s Studios which provide very unique content.

It’s be nice to see MS open some more studios and create games specifically for their system rather than buying timed exclusives.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Reddpayn

But eventually better giagaflops and teraflops equal as better games heheh.

#7 10 months ago
  8. VibraniumSpork

@3 http://img.pandawhale.com/42370-Joffrey-slow-clap-gif-QNW1.gif

#8 10 months ago
  9. Hcw87

MS: Forza, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, LocoCycle (doesn’t look good though), Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon, Fighter Within

Sony: Knack, Driveclub, Killzone

Those are the exclusives i can come up with at this moment, surely one has the advantage over the other. Feel free to point out if i’ve missed a few games on either console though.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Kuppz90

I think both consoles have good exclusives, but as of right now i lean towards Xbox, i’d buy an xbone just for Forza tho but as mentioned its all a matter of opinion, and its the games that truly matter

#10 10 months ago
  11. Erthazus

and games you listed does not look good either. Killer instinct with arcadish controls, Crimson Dragon – WTF is that, Fighter Within? Are you nuts?

RYSE is a QTE fest with 900p and Crysis 1 graphics.
    Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 are OKAY at best and not system sellers at all.

I know for sure that Sony has inFamous:Second Son at february release and fuck that. That game shits on every game you listed.

So in other words, Xbox one has no games.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Joe Musashi

MS Execs may want to start talking to each other to get their stories straight.

Its inconsistencies in the attitude behind these statements that damages the credibility of all of them. People who ask “But who are we to question what Microsoft tell us?” could use the above contradiction as a starting point.

So far, neither camp has anything I am aching to play. The notable exception being Resogun.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Hcw87

People take your comments as seriously as they take ps3fanboy’s comments.

Also i listed first party launch games, which Infamous is not.

#13 10 months ago
  14. nilo

@9 Sony: Knack, Driveclub, Killzone, Order 1886, Infamous Secon Son, Shadow of the Beast, Yakuza Ishin

#14 10 months ago
  15. orakaa

@13 : Oh, come on… You are the Xbox equivalent to PS3fanboy, everybody knows that.
    And it is not a compliment…

#15 10 months ago
  16. Erthazus

@13, you know what? You are an idiot and retard at the same time. You know why? Because:

Infamous:Second son is a FIRST PARTY. From Sucker Punch.

your comments are the same PS3fanboy, my comments has nothing to do with fanboyism. Deal with it.

and for your information RYSE, Crimson Dragon are not first party games.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Bloodstorm

He’s half right, the specs count only for multiplaform to certain extend.
    But if we look at exclusives from the current gen, I do prefer Sony, “the games” are not just launch titles.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Hcw87

Most of those are not launch games.

Infamous is not a launch game.

#18 10 months ago
  19. DrDamn

Capcom are a MS First Party? ;)

You are missing Resogun and other titles like War Thunder, DCUO, Planet Side 2 which may be available on PC/PS3 but are not coming to X1 as far as we know.

#19 10 months ago
  20. Hcw87

I meant Exclusive games for each console. I listed all those i could come up with atm.

#20 10 months ago
  21. DrDamn

Why are you only considering launch day games? You don’t base a console purchase on launch games only do you? A next gen console is not just for Christmas you know :)

#21 10 months ago
  22. Hcw87

Ofcourse, but isn’t that what this topic is about?

People who buy a console on day one usually do it because of the launch games. And the vast majority of gamers will get a console in the first few weeks.

#22 10 months ago
  23. monkeygourmet

MS wasn’t the one who promised most powerful, easiest to code for, made by gamers for gamers etc…

To be fair, they haven’t been able to say much of anything as they have been busy trying to work out what the Xbone actually is soooo…

Sony I feel has done their classic, whispering sweet nothings into the gamers ears without any real proof of concept when talking about power advantages.

MS fucked the delivery but came back well with a pretty solid launch line up.

Whats suprising is Cerny is the main guy, yet he hasn’t yet got Knack running very well. If anyone could push the boat out, I would have thought it would be him, no?

I think the main problem at the moment for MS is;

You may have a ‘weaker’ console, that is actually MORE expensive than your rival… That is a harder sell…

It’s hard to sell a family SUV to someone who can see a nicer sports car available for cheaper, especially if they don’t want the vehicle for family / space reasons…

#23 10 months ago
  24. Eregol

This point of view is purely subjective.

#24 10 months ago
  25. DrDamn

“Ofcourse, but isn’t that what this topic is about?”

No – nothing in the article to specifically mean just launch day. You’ve applied that caveat yourself.

“People who buy a console on day one usually do it because of the launch games.”

If you are only getting one console that would be madness. You get it on the launch titles but also the promise and prospects of what is to come.

#25 10 months ago
  26. DrDamn

“MS has the better launch titles IMO. And im still suprised I don’t see evidence of the 40% PS4 advantage.”

If you trust Mr Harrison then “it’s impossible to draw any conclusions”.

We haven’t got anything to compare properly. For example if someone mentions the Quantic Dreams demo then it gets discounted because it’s not a game, just a tech demo. So you can’t compare it because it’s doing different things … so using the same logic how can you compare Ryse and Infamous or even Forza and DC – they are doing different things.

I’d say there is some evidence out there, though not yet conclusive. As Phil says, wait to see what is delivered before coming to conclusions either way if it matters at all to you.

editted for copy’n'paste cock up :)

#26 10 months ago
  27. mistermogul

“gigaflops and teraflops don’t matter, games do”

Exactly the reason I’ve left you for Sony! ;)

#27 10 months ago
  28. pcbros

Gigaflops and teraflops don’t matter. Would anyone hear say that the original Xbox had more success over the PS2 (less powerful)? It’s always about the games and the value presented.

So if the PS4 ends up having much better games, it will dominate, vice versa if it’s true for the Xbox One. But if they both end up have great games (which will most likely be the case), they will both succeed.

It’s not rocket science…

#28 10 months ago
  29. Gradly

This is hilarious. Of course gigaflops and teraflops don’t matter and that’s why Microsoft was rushed to bump both CPU and GPU in the last minute after the people started comparing both consoles.

And of course gigaflops and teraflops don’t matter when the majority of games are running in sub-HD, 720p – 900p.

Talking about unfinished product, stuff a month before the launch is bullshit. It’s not as easy as flipping a switch.

What distinguish PS4 games is that every title seems to incorporate an amazing tech behind experience, stuff like, dynamic lighting and Global Illumination.

Microosft is struggling with their PR and marketing flops, talking about “the infinite power of the cloud”, “balance”, “did you see Titanfall”, is complete bullshit

#29 10 months ago
  30. Joe Musashi

LOL, that article:

And a sentence or so later:

“…the performance of the machine’s not locked, and as you may be aware we can increase CPU and GPU capability on Xbox One.”

For the record, I agree with the overall sentiment. But the manner in which the PR is delivering its message could not be more haphazard and inconsistent. It’s genuinely impossible to know what to believe.

#30 10 months ago
  31. SplatteredHouse

“It’s all about having the best games and having the most impressive experiences, and clearly Xbox One has the best games.”

Name them. Because, in the absense of that, it’s just another Cloud-power argument from Microsoft lacking any weight, and looking to buzzwords for hope.

@3: “Xbox exclusives were so exciting I sold my 360 and bought a PS3.” It was an extraordinary thing to see Microsoft’s first party depreciate in value as the last generation went on. I couldn’t blame anyone that had enough of their mangled focus and skewed priorities.

#31 10 months ago
  32. absolutezero

People want to buy the PS4 as some sort of statement against what MS tried to do with the XBOne. Yet the XBOne has slightly more appealing games!

Oh no what do I do? I have made my choice of console 2 months before they actually come and totally can not change my mind whatever shall I do.

I know! I’ll shitpost and pretend that I would never have liked the XB games in the first place! Even though if they were flipped I would be talking them up to high heaven! I am a cunt!

#32 10 months ago
  33. monkeygourmet

I guess people always dismiss the Quantic Dreams thing because Cage’s stuff is becoming more and more like a mildly playable ‘graphic novel’ rather than a fully playable experience.

The playable on tablet function with Beyond shows this is the direction his team are taking.

Obviously the new title could be different but without a fair amount of interaction or control, his titles are not really considered as traditional video games, and the graphics don’t measure up in the same way.

I lump Remedy’s effort in with this until I see gameplay of both titles. Kind of like 7th Guest was, back in the day…

Now, you could say the same for Ryse. It’s closed off, without much freedom, hence the graphical quality can be boosted somewhat (ala Uncharted), corridor type titles always look pretty good as it’s a closed ecosystem.

All im saying is, after the CELL fiasco, I need more proof than believing in the power difference rather, same as MS’s Cloud claims.

Alot of people have already bought Sony’s PR based purely on a strong E3 showing, although IMO that was mainly won because MS fucked up so bad. It’s not hard to score if there is no goal keeper.

I read alot of sites and Sony fanboys are some of the most annoying i’ve come across. Now alot of people are saying that PS4 BF4 has been gimped for the Xbone and should be running at a higher resolution if it wasn’t for the fact it had to be dialed in for the ‘weaker’ console…

Loads of specualtion and bullshit. If that was the case then Knack, a first party title developed by the man who helped craft the system should look amazing and run buttery smooth…

#33 10 months ago
  34. Sadismek

@22 “And the vast majority of gamers will get a console in the first few weeks.” What? You did a study on that? Because “vast majority” is vague, faulty and big talking.

#34 10 months ago
  35. pcbros

It’s about the games. Which equals personal preference.

To say Killzone, DriveClub & Knack > Forza, Killer Instinct & Ryse (or vice versa) is pointless and only serves to convince yourself that you are buying the “better” console.

#35 10 months ago
  36. ps4fanboy

i am actually really excited about next uncharted game and MK10, neither of which has been announced yet but everyone knows they are being worked on.

#36 10 months ago
  37. monkeygourmet

Mario Kart 10?

You’ll have to wait a while, 8′s coming out after Christmas. :)

#37 10 months ago
  38. Dunno

LOL then keep xbox360 going Harry son! :D

#38 10 months ago
  39. bradk825

This may surprise people on both sides of the argument, but the system of choice for one person does not affect your enjoyment of the other.

Buy what you want, whether it’s “Xbone” or “PS3.5″ you don’t have to defend yourself.

#39 10 months ago
  40. Eregol

Anyone basing a console purchase on launch titles is incredibly naive.
    You should be basing it on the software over the console’s lifecycle. I’d argue that both line ups have their duds and their decent titles, but neither has a real proper system seller.

I managed to play the majority of the PS4′s launch line up at Eurogamer, and it made me want one, not for any particular title, but just because what it can do looked really REALLY good.

#40 10 months ago
  41. yeoung

@23:

I don’t think Microsoft having more exciting launch titles (subjective, though I agree) is a reflection on the spec setup of the PS4. If anything, I think Sony’s approach to some core features, such as F2P not requiring Plus, Indie showcases at large venues and the competitive pricing for the console itself play a much larger role then this supposed 40% power advantage. I’ve read more articles and press releases noting the amount of indie developers gearing up for PS4 development, than I have of this power advantage face-rubbing.

The Gara interview the other day shows (the pretense of) community involvement from a corporate perspective. A lot of people were impressed by an actual human-seeming spokesperson. A lot of what Sony is shooting for and has largely already achieved in my opinion, is gaining some goodwill. Every so often this sentiment gets reiterated in the form of indie dev interviews on smaller gaming sites, where they stress that Sony is taking an active role in supporting development and building strong relationships.

Maybe not immediately apparent to the average consumer, but word absolutely spreads. It may even be feasible that Sony at one point will start to emulate Steam’s actively transparent consumer-dev-platform involvement.

Besides, studios aiming for parity on systems will largely negate the power advantage, which becomes most apparent in first party titles, mainly graphics-wise I’m assuming.

#41 10 months ago
  42. _LarZen_

Live blog from Microsoft special press conference:

*Harrison steps out on the stage.

*Different charts are being shown, X360 selling really good in the US.

*Harrison is showing games on the X360 and says gigaflops and teraflops don’t matter, games do. So we have decided not to launch the Xbox One!

*The crowd gasps, some are booing and other laughing hysterical.

*Harrison is smiling from ear to ear, as he points to the big screens showing games running on a real X360 unit. And points out again that gigaflops and teraflops do not sell games. Great games do, and we have the best games in the industry.

*The crowd starts to boo even louder, others people are laughing so hard they cant control their body functions.

*Harrison thanks everyone for coming.

#42 10 months ago
  43. xxJPRACERxx

These GFlops and TFlops figures are theoretical best-case scenario. What’s important is how devs can exploit this power and this really get down to system design, compiler optimization and programming tricks.

Since we don’t really know how these systems are built for now we can only judge from games and so far MS launch titles look much better than what I’ve seen on PS4.

#43 10 months ago
  44. patoFeo

Sorry Harrison but your forza and ryse doesnt really do it for me. That’s how “big” the x1 is for me. I don’t know anything besides those two games and I don’t like them. Perhaps dead rising 3 but meh, I played enough zombie games I want a break. Maybe I’ll get the x1 2 to 3 years later but not now.

#44 10 months ago
  45. ps4fanboy

@37 i meant MORTAL KOMBAT 10!!!
    not mario kart

#45 10 months ago
  46. Riseer

This is coming from the same guy that boasted about ”CELL” and all of the numbers…Phil please go home.

#46 10 months ago
  47. Lengendaryboss

#47 10 months ago
  48. Riseer

If MS had the power advantage they would shout it from every mountain top. http://makeagif.com/i/rfbOl

#48 10 months ago
  49. Hcw87

So, just like Sony in other words?

#49 10 months ago
  50. lacerz

Launch Titles by console:

Xbox One
    Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, Forza, Fighter Within, Killer Instinct, LocoCycle, Zumba Fitness, Peggle 2, Powerstar Golf, Zoo Tycoon, and Ryse.

Playstation 4
    Blacklight: Retribution, Contrast, DC Universe, DiveKick, DriveClub, Killzone, Knack, Minecraft, Pinball Arcade, Putty Squad, The Playroom, Resogun, Super Motherload, Switch Galaxy Ultra, Tiny Brains, War Frame, and War Thunder.

After that you have your AC, CoD, BF, and all the other cross console games. I’m pretty sure there will be games a’plenty no matter what you choose.

#50 10 months ago
  51. Lengendaryboss

You said first party right? Ryse isn’t, DR 3 isn’t, Killer Instict isn’t, Fighter Within isn’t.
    The phrase you are looking for is Second/Third party titles.

#51 10 months ago
  52. Hcw87

Nah, i meant exclusives really.

Also, Minecraft is a PS4 exclusive now?

#52 10 months ago
  53. Riseer

@49..Sony really hasn’t been talking much about it.Oh sure once and awhile you will get some PR talk but it hasn’t been overdone.

#53 10 months ago
  54. Lengendaryboss

Does this ring any bells?
    “Also i listed first party launch games, which Infamous is not.”
    Hey if Titanfall can be claimed exclusive to Xbox One why don’t we apply it to other titles.

@15/16
    Its looking likely thats how things are.

#54 10 months ago
  55. Riseer

@52,Yea minecraft is coming to Ps3/Ps4/Ps Vita….

#55 10 months ago
  56. lacerz

Apparently Minecraft’s a launch title for the PS4, but not the Xbox One. I’m sure it’ll be on both, just not at launch.

#56 10 months ago
  57. Hcw87

Infamous is a first party game sure, but not a launch game.

#57 10 months ago
  58. Lengendaryboss

Yeah true but the list of games you listed are launch games but majority aren’t first party.

#58 10 months ago
  59. Hcw87

I know, but instead of first party i meant console exclusive games. Just mixed up those two words, and i can’t go back and edit those posts now.

ANYWAY, i’m just criticizing the launch lineup of one console, i don’t go into every Sony article bashing the console as a whole. Which is what a fanboy does. Still buying both consoles, since i’m interested in atleast one game on each console.

#59 10 months ago
  60. bobnice

I dont give a shit about hardware specs. Look at GTA5…its running on a console with 512mb of ram (360) and 256mb ram (ps3). My computer has 8gb of ram and its useless right now because I cant play GTA5 on it, and I cant play NHL 14 with my mates on my PC, even with its 8gb ram and i7 processor amd gtx580. Specs are getting me nowhere on my PC right now.

#60 10 months ago
  61. Riseer

@bobnice Well Ps3 has more then 256mb of ram..its more like ”380-400mb for games” from what I have read.

#61 10 months ago
  62. Eregol

@61 PS3 has 2 sets of 256MB of RAM. One for the GPU and one for the CPU.
    The idea is that you route jobs through the CPUs SPUs to utilise the RAM for the CPU to handle graphics based code.
    It’s why the PS3 is considered such a bugger to code for.

#62 10 months ago
  63. DrDamn

“ANYWAY, i’m just criticizing the launch lineup of one console”

Why are you criticising a launch line because you *prefer* the games in another launch line up. Look at the lists other people have posted, you seem to be unaware of what’s coming for PS4 and concentrate on what you prefer for X1.

#63 10 months ago
  64. Fin

This is flat out the reason I prefer consoles to PCs.
    GTA V running a piece of hardware that’s seven years old? Amazing.

#64 10 months ago
  65. Riseer

@62 I know it has a split memory pool 256mb Vram running at 700mhz and 256mb XDR running at 3.2ghz.

#65 10 months ago
  66. Riseer

Lets not forget Sony has some of the most talented studios around.I am giddy for Killzone SF and Infamous SS,also i can’t wait to see more of The Order 1886,I want it to be like a updated Nightmare Creatures so badly.

#66 10 months ago
  67. Hcw87

I’ve never really cared much for indies, and that’s what everything else is pretty much. I want to play stuff i can’t allready play on PC.

#67 10 months ago
  68. Riseer

@bobnice,That’s why owning a console has its perks.

#68 10 months ago
  69. pcbros

People who bash other platforms are either a) immature, b) scared of the other platforms or c ) all of the above.

Most fall into “c”.

Think about it. No one here is trashing the Ouya or Wii U. It’s because they don’t pose a threat. But since both the XB1 and PS4 are able to deliver knock out punches, people fear the competition and use childish comments like “xbone, bs4, microshaft, etc” to make themselves feel better.

Yet at the end of the day, whether Sony or Microsoft roll on top… It has no effect on us. Will you like inFamous any less because the Xbox One is outselling the PS4? Will you like Titanfall any less because the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One?

Either way, does it even matter? We all know the Steam Machine will dominate all! ;)

#69 10 months ago
  70. DrDamn

That’s fair enough – though you really can’t see why your comment at @1 would cause a reaction?

#70 10 months ago
  71. Hcw87

Those are its two big hitters, can you really disagree with that?

#71 10 months ago
  72. Eregol

Those are it’s two EXCLUSIVE big hitters. Just because other games aren’t exclusive doesn’t make them not big.
    Other titles are well worth playing like Resogun and Octodad. 2 great titles that are worthy of anyone’s time.
    If the F2P titles get their balance right there’s no reason why they can’t be good enough reasons to own the console either.

#72 10 months ago
  73. DrDamn

Those are it’s two big hitters but it’s far from all it has.

#73 10 months ago
  74. fearmonkey

@59 – I see you in most MS articles or Sony articles where something can be defended about the Xbone or to bash the PS4. You do exactly wat you called me out for and others have noticed.

“oh, this has got more gigaflops or more teraflops than the other one,’ and at the end of the day it never really matters.”

Yet MS is the one going “Look we bumped up the speed on the CPU” and “Look we bumped up the speed on the GPU” and even here he mentions that.
    To me it shows they are worried about the perceived PS4 power difference.

I have to say though, at the end of the day, he is right about specs not deciding the final victor. PS2 won over Xbox, though I didn’t like the PS2 near as much as the Xbox. I loved the original Xbox and games simply looked and played better.

However, I do care about specs, and as both consoles are close in architecture, it seems wise to go for the most powerful which is also $100 cheaper. That being said, I love MS’s franchises like Halo and Fable, but none of those are at launch, so no Xbone for me right away.

I very much disagree that Xbone has the best launch titles. PS4 has the only first party FPS in Killzone which I think looks absolutely gorgeous. It has the only platform like title in Knack (A genre I love) and it has a racer though I am not as much into those except for Rallysport games.

Xbone has Forza as its best title (not a racing fan really as I just mentioned), Ryse which is in my opinion the best looking and best title at launch for the Xbone, but the gameplay is in question, Dead rising 3 which I never liked the series, and Crimson dragon which is meh to me.

Xbone gets Titanfall later and PS4 gets Infamous later, and I am much more interested in Infamous as I can play Titanfall on PC.

The real stars are the third party titles like Watch Dogs, Assassins creed 4, and Battlefield 4.

Gaming tastes are all subjective, and what ever floats your boat is fine, but we won’t all agree on which system is best. The titles this time are way different than each other, and it’s what you prefer. Xbox one has 1 first party title that interests me (Ryse)and PS4 has a whopping two (Killzone and Knack), so PS4 wins for me barely. It’s just the fact that PS4 doesnt make me buy the camera and spend the $100, and that it has more raw power for future games that has me wanting it right now. The other thing is that i feel I need to support Sony for going against MS’s draconian DRM and it’s thanks to them that we got all the 180′s.

It’s not the specs that win at the end of the cycle, but it doesnt hurt :)

#74 10 months ago
  75. DSB

I’ve just been skimming through the comments, and all I got from that was “bias, bias, bias, bias, bias, absolutezero made a funny, bias, bias bias”

Is no one gonna comment on the total 180 by Phil Harrison here? Remember the PS3?

I do believe we were told that that was THE BEST, MOST POWERFUL console ever, and it was so totally worth the pricetag because of all its amazing HORSEPOWER, and 4D GRAPHICS. And it ONLY DOES EVERYTHING.

Holy crap dude. This is like the Pope converting to Islam and praising Allah.

I know Harrison is in a difficult position, especially with the hole he dug for himself at Sony. He really can’t say a lot without getting ragged on, but this is just hilarious though. Not a shred of credibility there.

That isn’t a point against the Xbone or for the PS4, it’s just “Harrison”. Mother of god…

#75 10 months ago
  76. fearmonkey

@75 – I know lol, it’s a bit surreal hearing the man who narrated the tech demos for the PS2 and PS3 at those E3′s talk about how specs don’t matter lol.

I have mentioned that before so I didn’t say it again, but i completely agree with you. Having Harrison’s name in with MS is just…weird.

#76 10 months ago
  77. fearmonkey

I posted this in a different article but I’ll post it here and it seems to be along these lines of discussion.

“Then there are the GPUs themselves, the Achilles heel of the XBox One. While there is nothing wrong with them per se, they are a slightly older revision than used in the PS4 but the differences are small enough to be ignorable. What does matter is that the PS4 has about 50% more units at roughly the same clocks, 1152 at ~800MHz vs 768 at 853MHz, a massive difference. Couple this with the vastly more user-friendly 8GB GDDR5 memory design and you have a clean kill for Sony on performance.

Microsoft made a really impressive SoC that is a multimedia monster with a bit of gaming ability, technically speaking it is quite impressive that they pulled it off. Not to take anything away from the hardware designers but Microsoft management simply aimed wrong. Sony made a gaming machine, Microsoft did not. Sony made a clean design for coders, Microsoft did not. Microsoft made a complex technical masterpiece that is in a no-mans land between a far <$100 Android media center and the PS4. Sony just did right for gamers and won the battle."

And that really pretty much says it all really.

#77 10 months ago
  78. pcbros

@77 – Microsoft made an all-in-one entertainment system (hence Xbox One). So they will be attracting non-gamers as well. Yet, they are providing gaming performance that has been shown *so far* to be on par with the PS4. Also, don’t forget exclusives like Halo, Titanfall and Forza.

I think the major difference will be price. The $400 PS4 price tag will help quite a bit at first.

I fail to see how Sony or Microsoft have won “the battle”… but if comparing specs and technical designs helps you feel better about your choice, so be it.

#78 10 months ago
  79. Lengendaryboss

Titanfall is not exclusive, i say this with a very tired voice.

#79 10 months ago
  80. monkeygourmet

Then they must all be asleep at the wheel if they can’t harness all that amazing power, even one of the architects Cerny can’t even get a platformer runnig at 1080p at 60fps on the wonder machine.

Things just don’t add up…

#80 10 months ago
  81. pcbros

@79 – It’s not coming to the PS4, that’s my point.

#81 10 months ago
  82. Lengendaryboss

Thats cool, but people really need to stick with the definition of what exclusive actually means.

I’m so tired of stating this i’m not even going to bother, but being on PC, Xbox360, Xbox One doesn’t help anyone saying exclusive and not being on another next gen platform doesn’t either.

#82 10 months ago
  83. fearmonkey

@78 – Well I am comparing specs in an article titled “xbox-one-gigaflops-and-teraflops-dont-matter-games-do-harrison” so it seems fitting here. I mentioned it another article regarding performance as well.

@80 – I am not hung up on 60fps at 1080p, I am happy with 1080p 30fps. I don’t even game at 60fps on my home PC as I game with everything maxed at 2560x1440p. Most newer graphics intensive games run 30fps+. For multiplayer it’s nice, but other than that, it doesnt really matter to me.

What does matter to me is being in true 1080p rather than upped if possible.

@81 – “It’s not coming to the PS4 “yet”, that’s my point.” Fixed that for you.

#83 10 months ago
  84. Joe Musashi

A game not being announced for platform A doesn’t make it exclusive to platform B. Especially when it’s already been announced for platforms C and D.

It seems the same faction are forever moving goalposts and mixing up terms. “oh I meant exclusive”, “oh I meant first party”, “oh I meant launch window”, “Oh, when I said I’m neutral and unbiased I meant I swallow the PR guff from one company so quickly it doesn’t even touch the sides, then repeat it ad nauseum without even understanding it what it is I’m repeating.”.

#84 10 months ago
  85. DrDamn

One game doesn’t define a consoles power. The Knack team is small and the focus is not on being a graphical showcase. Have you seen Lococycle? It looks shit therefore the X1 is rubbish?

Or you could actually just wait and see what gets delivered and compare what *can* be compared then if you care.

#85 10 months ago
  86. pcbros

@81 – Yet? Where’s that info coming from?

@84 – We were talking about people buying a PS4 or XB1. The fact that Titanfall is coming to XB1 and not the PS4 = advantage XB1.

Why be so anal about things? These are discussions based on video games, not politics.

#86 10 months ago
  87. Joe Musashi

Whatver context you choose to spin, the word “exclusive” still doesn’t apply to Titanfall. It’s that simple.

Nobody is being anal about anything. Some of us are simply sticking to facts and reality rather than favoring make believe, sales-speak, unproven claims or redefining words like “exclusive” when it suits.

#87 10 months ago
  88. Lengendaryboss

@86/89
    Nitpicking is hardly the solution you can claim “Titanfall” Not “Titalfall”.

#88 10 months ago
  89. pcbros

@87 – Still don’t see how Titalfall being an XB1 exclusive game or a game not being released for the PS4, changes the fact that PS4 owners will not play it on their platform.

But if you see the big difference, then good job pointing it out.

By the way Dr. Grammar, it’s “whatever” not “whatver”…

#89 10 months ago
  90. fearmonkey

@89 – If you really think that Titanfall (published by EA, and made by a EA funded developer) won’t eventually be coming to PS4, then you don’t know EA every well.

I wouldn’t doubt that Dead Rising might pop on over as well, but on that not as sure as it’s not as big a title. Titanfall is made by the original guys behind COD, EA looks at that as a HUGE money maker, no way that they won’t be bringing it over eventually.

This is a timed exclusive and thus EA would never mention it being on PS4 to well after launch, 6 months to a year.

#90 10 months ago
  91. monkeygourmet

Lol, Joes after PC Bros.

Don’t worry PC Bros, he’ll do this for a bit then move on to someone else, oh the circle of life.

#91 10 months ago
  92. Joe Musashi

PCBros, I’ve not once taken issue with your grammar. Your skewed and inconsistent logic and clear “Well, so long as it’s not on a Sony platform..” motives whilst claiming neutrality along with your ever-growing catalogue of contradictions is what’s been highlighted. Consistency or attention to detail really aren’t your strong suits.

91: Stop attempting to derail on-topic discussions. That’s twice in under 24 hours.

#92 10 months ago
  93. monkeygourmet

I can’t derail something that has already gone ‘off topic’.

Stop picking bones in everything certain people say, while at the same time ignoring 95% of their other contributions.

#93 10 months ago
  94. pcbros

@90 – Who knows but the point is that gamers will not be playing Titan Fall, Killer Instinct, Halo and Forza on a Playstation 4. So if someone likes these games, they will buy a Xbox One. No one is going to care that their consoles doesn’t have anough gigaflops.

Same with inFamous, Uncharted, Killzone and Gran Turismo. People that prefer these games, will buy a PS4. They aren’t buying it because their console has more gigaflops.

3DS > Vita = Flops mean nothing in comparison to the games.

#94 10 months ago
  95. Lengendaryboss

I’m even more speechless now.

#95 10 months ago
  96. Joe Musashi

@93 Sorry, sticking to facts rather than make-believe is kind of my thing.

If people are offended by real-world details instead of favoring make-believe then that’s their problem.

And stop persistently haranguing me, please. You’re not even contributing anything on topic at this point. Congrats on your successful derail of another on-topic discussion.

@95 Logic and facts are lost on those with their head in the cloud.

#96 10 months ago
  97. monkeygourmet

Arguing semantics of wether the majority of people see Titanfall as an exclusive with someone who obviously doesn’t want to get deep into that discussion is neither on topic with this news story or really anything to do with videogames.

As PC Bros has said, if you want a Titanfall, most people will be picking up an Xbone for it. That’s a fact. It’s seen as a system seller.

Is it ‘technically’ an exclusive? No. Let’s move the fuck on… Christ it’s painful sometimes…

#97 10 months ago
  98. Joe Musashi

It’s not semantics.

Titanfall is not a platform exclusive. Fact.

Saying, or at any level, trying to assert otherwise is spin and lies. You either favour facts or spin. If you want to play Titanfall you do not have to buy a Xbox One to play it. Microsoft and their zealots want to to believe otherwise but because it is not a platform exclusive it is not necessary to buy Microsoft’s console to play it.

That’s all there is to it.

That such mind-numbingly straightforward, black-and-white logic is so fervently twisted and obfuscated by a bunch of people that want to ignore simple facts says a lot about why it’s important to keep a check on facts rather than believing what the salesmen say with their carefully chosen and beguiling words and half-truths.

When you get people that clearly can’t grasp that black-and-white simple fact it makes any objective person question whether those same people can grasp more intricate and nuanced details. As we’ve seen here, for the most part, they can’t.

It doesn’t have to be “Christ so painful” if people stick to facts rather than favouring half-truths and corporate spin.

#98 10 months ago
  99. Lengendaryboss

Or they could, you know buy an Xbox360 or PC since its such a system seller, unless those platforms vanish in thin air around the world its not a fact.

Thats like saying the new Yakuza game is exclusive to PS4, forgetting the PS3 and PS Vita versions.

Now we are moving on from this.

#99 10 months ago
  100. pcbros

@92 – Saying Titanfall was an XB1 exclusive was a poor choice of words. Calling it make-believe or a contradiction is a bit much.

Monkeygourmet made a good point. Jumping on the fact that Titanfall is not an exclusive by definition doesn’t change the point I was making. So why harp on something that has no real effect on my argument? Stick to the bigger picture and stop focusing on the scraps that fall from the table.

And are you suggesting I’m anti-Sony in some way by my comments?

@99 – But at the end of the day, whether Yakuza is an exclusive or not, it’s not coming to XB1… advantage PS4. That’s the fact.

#100 10 months ago
  101. monkeygourmet

Yes, yes, yes… We understand this. Games companies have history of lying and most of us were here or online to see that happen.

No Vibrate in Dualshock 3 because of sixaixs, the cell, 3DTVs making gaming better, DRM in Xbone, Kinect actually working, Wii U concentrating on hardcore gamers etc… Etc…

They all talk bullshit most of the time.

Thank you for being the voice of truth and justice when someone uses the wrong terminology (even though they have made dozens of valid points and contributions), it really helps.

#101 10 months ago
  102. monkeygourmet

And as PC Bros said, xxx game not appearing on another rival brand is a huge advantage. Exclusive? Not so much, but defiantly advantage.

Inb4, if you’d had said that originally, I would have spared you my wrath.

Pro tip, by having conversations with people and understanding their point of view after many of their posts, you can kind of pick over when they may stumble with wording. Or, you can be a dick and pull people up the first chance you get…

Edit:

From my perspective, PCBros is a new(ish) poster (unless alt account etc etc). His posts have been un biased and generally show enthusiasm for gaming and technology (basically, what this forum needs more of).

All I’ve seen are people pick apart his posts like vultures…

#102 10 months ago
  103. Eregol

The question is, why buy an XB1 for Titanfall when it’s available for PC and 360? MS didn’t even arrange for it to be playable on XB1 at Eurogamer and stuck with the 360 version instead.
    It’s not out til mid 2014 either is it?

#103 10 months ago
  104. pcbros

@101 – Sometimes it’s best to let it go and just move on. No sense is wasting your time.

@103 – It’s like saying why buy a XB1/PS4 for BF4 and COD. You can play both on PC and 360/PS3.

Most people will be buying those systems to play those games and not Ryse/Killzone. Just wait and see the sales figures.

No matter how we want to put it, at the end of the day, whether a big one or small one… Titanfall = XB1 advantage.

#104 10 months ago
  105. Lengendaryboss

Because apparently the Xbox One version is the only version that exists and benefits from having Titanfall available exclusively all to itselfs, it will be a system seller for XB1 but do nothing for the other fictional versions PC and Xbox360.

Sorry sarcasm, great question which hasn’t been answered.

#105 10 months ago
  106. antraxsuicide

I also like pcbros, and I’m new to posting.

@103 I think it’s spring 2014. And it’s a great launch date that I’m sure was mutually agreed on by MS and EA. EA doesn’t cannibalize their own sales of Battlefield 3, and they don’t have to worry about CoD stealing sales from Titanfall. MS gets to have a popular game launch after their initial sales period, which continues their launch sales. Win-win.

edit: As for its PC/360 versions, they’ll be there to sure up the sales figures for Respawn. That guarantees them some good profit, but they’ll definitely keep those versions quiet. Advertising has never really been a thing for PC gaming, and all Titanfall commercials will end with the X1 logo, not the 360.

It’s the same reason Sony spent time hyping KH3/MGS5/FF15 even though they’re all multiplats. The advertising will determine which platform benefits the most.

#106 10 months ago
  107. pcbros

@105 – Let’s answer that question then…

Why buy the XB1 version?

First we have to answer the question, why buy any console game over it’s PC version. Usually convenience and the lack of a capable gaming PC.

Why by the XB1 version over the 360 version? Better graphics and possibly better online play (don’t remember the 360 running on dedicated servers).

#107 10 months ago
  108. monkeygourmet

Are all versions going to release simultaneously? Genuine question, has that been announced yet?

#108 10 months ago
  109. Lengendaryboss

So convenience problems (PC) and lesser graphics/dedicated servers (Xbox360)

So thats the reason to go for the Xbox One version, that isn’t valid.

#109 10 months ago
  110. Joe Musashi

“Titanfall = XB1 advantage.”

Unless the other platforms that it is coming out on happen to exist.

Oh! Wait. They do! Gee golly willickers? How does that work out?

Oh. Hang on, when we look at all the facts – and don’t carefully omit details that we would rather pretend didn’t exist because they don’t further our wonky argument it seems that it’s not as clear-cut “YAY XBOX ADVANTAGE” as some people are trying to assert. (I mean, if you’re blindly pro-XB1 at the expense of other things, such as facts and reality then I guess that might swing it. But that’s at the cost of being supremely PRO one thing or supremely ANTI something else. But .. nah! That could never happen)

I guess, there’s no point recommending “look at the big picture” when those recommending such a practice carefully cut out parts of that big picture whenever it suits them. I guess that’s just one more contradiction to add to the rest.

The reasoning given actually works when applied to a genuine platform exclusive. It doesn’t apply when referencing Titanfall for a very simple, significant reason. Titanfall is not an Xbox One exclusive.

Seems people still can’t grasp (or refuse to grasp) what that means in the real world.

#110 10 months ago
  111. fearmonkey

@109 – Your forgetting that Titanfall on Xbone has “the powah of teh clowd” It will simply be better..

oh man…I couldn’t resist everyone..i’m sorry lol…

#111 10 months ago
  112. Eregol

@107 Thing is, you’re not answering the question. If Titanfall is such a massive advantage for the XB1 what is the USP? Why must you buy an XB1 to play Titanfall. It’ll work on your 360 (if you have one).
    You cannot consider third party games as part of the answer as, of course, it’s ‘exclusive’ to XB1, but it isn’t.

So, considering it’s not exclusive, why MUST you buy an XB1 to play it?
    A third party title across many platforms is no reason to buy a console.

#112 10 months ago
  113. monkeygourmet

Titanfall ISNT an exclusive. Can we get that out the way please?

It will however be marketed as one wether you like it or not.

Almost certainly the Xbone will have the best console version.

It is unconfirmed wether it will have a simultaneous launch on X1, 360, PC.

It could very well be a timed exclusive for X1.

X1 will almost certainly receive DLC first.

It is unconfirmed for PS4.

The cloud may or may not help this title.

It will be marketed in a way to sell Xbone systems.

#113 10 months ago
  114. Joe Musashi

@109 Not only is it not valid. It’s unproven. Oh my.

@106 Great point – the power of marketing and its fondness for only mentioning half of the details is astonishingly effective at leading people into thinking a half truth is the whole truth.

#114 10 months ago
  115. pcbros

@109 – They why buy COD & BF for any console over the PC version. I’d love to hear that answer.

@110 – “Unless the other platforms that it is coming out on happen to exist.”

So Titanfall coming out the XB1 and not the PS4 does not equal ANY advantage for the XB1?

Get real…

#115 10 months ago
  116. antraxsuicide

@112 But that’s been working in NA for the past 2-3 years for MS. If you’ve got the option, why not play the best version? If I was looking at buying a PS3 or a 360 because I wanted to play Skyrim, why would I get the PS3 when I know about its issues.

Most of the next-gen games that people are talking about are multiplats (Watch Dogs, AC4, Destiny, etc..)

#116 10 months ago
  117. Lengendaryboss

No, why mention it? Until stated otherwise i’m assuming they are launching together like most vague releases dates.

Even though i joke about it ;) Thats becoming a problem.

Exactly.

“It will however be marketed as one wether you like it or not.” Like FIFA 14 for Xbox360 or FIFA 13 for PlayStation platforms in the UK; i can cope with that, BUT its not you can all type exclusive but until two versions get canned your just grasping at straws. I’m gonna go down to the store after seeing Titanfall ad and see two other versions alongside the One, exclusivity lost.

“X1 will almost certainly receive DLC first.” Based on what?

#117 10 months ago
  118. Professor Zoom

God, I’m tired of PS4 fanboys. Fuck PS4.

#118 10 months ago
  119. Lengendaryboss

And yet Skyrim sold extremely well on PS3.

#119 10 months ago
  120. Joe Musashi

@117 “Based on what?”

Two people said so!

The sheer amount of make-believe and absence of objectivity that people are propping up their arguments with is pushing the needle from ‘comedy’ to ‘tragedy’.

#120 10 months ago
  121. monkeygourmet

Our exclusive games…

Doesn’t directly say Titanfall is exclusive. Small print ‘also available on 360, PC’

#121 10 months ago
  122. Lengendaryboss

Then you can go where the sun doesn’t shine! :D

I don’t know it could be the platform you own for the foreseeable fortune and other factors: but to downplay and apparently forget other versions in favour of the “Superior, dedicated served based Xbox One game” that is just absurd.

#122 10 months ago
  123. monkeygourmet

Are people crazy?! The advantage this game coming to the Xbone is obvious.

So obvious MS made damn sure it wouldn’t be seen anywhere near a Sony console for a looooong time…

There is a reason for that. It’s a system seller.

Same reason they packaged FIFA, to try and get one over on Sony in Europe…

#123 10 months ago
  124. Joe Musashi

@121 “Our exclusive games won more than 100 awards at E3″

Page lists 13 games. 6 of which are multiplatform. 7 of which have no release date.

The page makes a point of not saying which of the games listed got what number of awards.

Great marketing spiel but pretty much the textbook definition of a half truth.

As yet any “advantage” is unproven. Let’s remember just how critical ‘unproven’ is for a number of people that have made a point of dismissing details based on lack real-world proof. It would be very silly to argue against ‘unproven’ things in one breath and argue for ‘unproven’ things in another.

#124 10 months ago
  125. Lengendaryboss

I’m sorry should i start typing in caps so people get what i’m saying? MS can imply its exclusive, they can throw marketing money towards that purpose, they can do whatever they want. They can come to my house and say “BUY TITANFALL ON Xbox One”

But its still not exclusive; is it implying? Yes. But is it really? No. You can find all the links in the world that imply but i dear you to find one where they flat out say it.

#125 10 months ago
  126. Lengendaryboss

I’m not saying i don’t see the advantage, i see it very well. But that doesn’t excuse the fact as i have said gods knows how many times.

#126 10 months ago
  127. Eregol

@116 But it won’t be the best version will it? The best version will be on PC.

#127 10 months ago
  128. monkeygourmet

Of course, it’s marketing. The small print sorts all that out.

While the Sony site doesn’t mention ‘exclusives’, it also doesn’t mention that 70% of the titles displayed on the PS4 page are available elsewhere and probably for cheaper.

Or the fact the PS Plus is required for online play.

Why would they do that? Same reasons as MS.

#128 10 months ago
  129. pcbros

The point I made throughout the whole conversation was that it will be about the games. It’s a matter of preference.

If you like games like Ryse, Titanfall (Disclosure: This game is not an exclusive, but will NOT be available for the PS4), Killer Instinct, Halo and Forza… you are going to buy an Xbon One.

If you like games like inFamous, Uncharted, Killzone and Gran Turismo… you are going to buy a Playstation 4.

What does this all mean? Gigaflops and teraflops don’t matter in the real world.

Why we decided to focus on one game (Titanfall) and it’s non-exclusivity was pointless.

And if you have a PC capable of running games like Titanfall, then you will probably pass on the XB1/PS4 all together and enjoy gaming at it’s highest technical level and leave behind the fanboys and their pathetic campaigns to promote one system over the other.

It really gets old how people manage to turn everything into a console war.

#129 10 months ago
  130. Eregol

@128 Sony have not made it a secret that PS Plus will be required for online play on PS4. And while it doesn’t flat out say it, the PS4 section of the Playstation site states:

PlayStation Plus gives you exclusive access to a diverse range of immersive online multiplayer experiences to suit all players’ tastes, from Killzone™ Shadow Fall to #DRIVECLUB™, Watchdogs™ and Destiny™.

But it also states the other multiple benefits for having a PS Plus sub.
    What it DOESN’T state however, is that it isn’t required for F2P titles or sub based MMOs.

@129 If you think that EA will not bring to PS4 at some point you are incredibly naive. I reckon you’ll find it’ll be a 12 month ‘exclusivity’ deal.

#130 10 months ago
  131. Lengendaryboss

Its not a console war, No ones bashing PS4/One, at least i’m not.

I’m just stating rightly so that Titanfall is not exclusive; Not being on PS4 doesn’t count, having advantages doesn’t, Implying doesn’t. That exact same logic would apply to Sony/Nintendo if they were in this situation where someone would say Yukuza is exclusive to PS4 or Pokemon on Wii U, 3DS and Wii is exclusive to Wii U. Still wrong.

#131 10 months ago
  132. zoopdeloop

Pcbros you can’t save it now.Everybody knows how EA works and many here pointed it out to you that Titanfall will eventually be on both platforms your replies to them show unease,questioning them to provide proof.You’re not un biased

#132 10 months ago
  133. Joe Musashi

If you don’t want to focus on Titanfall then why make so many comments focusing on Titanfall? Why reply to comments on Titanfall if you don’t want to focus on it? Why put the word Titanfall in big bold letters when saying how you don’t want to focus on it?

Don’t be so melodramatic. People aren’t ‘turning everything into a console war’. They just don’t necessarily swallow the same marketing bullshit other people do. So, when others try to force it onto them, they don’t accept it as gospel.

Don’t contribute dozens of posts to a discussion, then tire of the discussion and make out like everyone else is to blame and, because they don’t see things your way, make out that things are a ‘war’.

#133 10 months ago
  134. Eregol

So, if we’re going to go back to the topic in hand and not Titanfall’s exclusivity…..
    Why buy an XB1 for Titanfall when you could play it on 360?
    Gigaflops and teraflops don’t matter.

#134 10 months ago
  135. monkeygourmet

Yeah! Get ‘I’m pa!

Good oil’ fashioned gaming lynchin’!

Of course (ideally if they launch the same time, even better). In fact, just keep your PS3 / 360, still lots of games coming MS and Sony have been saying.

#135 10 months ago
  136. Hcw87

After playing the BF4 beta on 360 today i can say this: Bring on next gen, i’m fucking tired of this gen.

Smooth crisp gameplay will be a godsend. Not sure if Titanfall is going to be 60fps on current gen either, and it’s outsourced to another studio.

#136 10 months ago
  137. monkeygourmet

Ex-fucking-actly!

It’ll be piss poor and half the experience. PC will fair better, but again, is it launching on all systems at once?

If not, then it could still end up being a ‘timed’ exclusive.

#137 10 months ago
  138. Lengendaryboss

Okay now i should be able to http://i.imgur.com/kp8te.gif even though the points i disagreed with are still being used.

#138 10 months ago
  139. zoopdeloop

@134 Exactly
    the point is Titanfall isn’t a system seller on it’s own neither Yakuza or almost every game that is being released on the 6th generation as well.
    Forza,Ryse,Killzone,Driveclub,Infamous are

#139 10 months ago
  140. Hcw87

Your comment makes no sense, considering the game has gotten rave reviews and ”game of show” on many occasions. That is a system seller to me, people would buy into that hype easily.

#140 10 months ago
  141. Joe Musashi

“Your subjective opinion makes no sense to me. In response, here is my subjective opinion which makes far more sense.”

#141 10 months ago
  142. pcbros

@131 – So Yakuza coming out for the PS4 gives the PS4 no advantage over the XB1? If I’m a Yakuza fan, you better believe I’m going to be eager to play that game on the PS4.

@133 – I put the whole statement in bold, not just one word. Let’s get that fact straight.

I never tried to defend that Titanfall was an exclusive. But if you can’t see how Titanfall being released for XB1 and not the PS4 is a good thing for the XB1, then I have nothing more to say.

#142 10 months ago
  143. Hcw87

How is it subjective, when it’s been proven time and again? Hype sells.

People even bought Alien fucking Colonial Marines because of hype.

Now we have multiple gaming sites hyping Titanfall over the clouds, and you’re telling me that doesn’t matter? Ok then.

#143 10 months ago
  144. Professor Zoom

#125 Failed, wanna go again?

Zampella said during the conference in front of millions of people that Titanfall will be exclusive for Xbox, now go back to your cave, troll…

#144 10 months ago
  145. Professor Zoom

#129 You’re overstuffing him, quit feeding the Sony troll.

#145 10 months ago
  146. Hcw87

Titanfall is a Microsoft exclusive, not an Xbox exclusive.

#146 10 months ago
  147. Joe Musashi

By your own metric, it is unproven and therefore cannot be seen as an advantage though, remember? UNPROVEN = no advantage.

It is not an exclusive (something you did argue whilst you were trying to redefine what the word “exclusive” actually means), it’s not out on any platform, and the platform your evangelising it for isn’t out. For shits and giggles, let’s also add in your evangelising of Microsoft’s Cloud from earlier.

So that’s layer upon layer upon layer upon layer of unproven qualities.

Let’s remember just how quick you’ve been to dismiss unproven and theoretical details as having no meaningful advantage.

Yet here you are, deciding that “Well, sheeeee-it, don’t matter that it’s all unproven. I see it as an advantage for the Xbox One so that’s the end of it”.

Quite a u-turn on your principles just so you can continue to argue (in your totally neutral way) that the Xbox One has an advantage.

Using a muilti-platform game.

That you said you don’t want to focus on.

Which you’re still focusing on.

I’m losing count of your contradictions now.

#147 10 months ago
  148. Lengendaryboss

@144/145
    Looks like you have learnt from the master :D

I’m not going into this again, Titanfall is not exclusive, Deal with it!

I know what he said, I know what Bioware said when Mass Effect 1 wasn’t coming to PS3, i heard Rockstar say the same about GTA IV DLC, i have heard Bioshock developers say the same, i have heard Square Enix and Capcom say the same about their games jumping ship. At some point and there shouldn’t really be a point you don’t believe what the nice man with candy says :D

#148 10 months ago
  149. pcbros

@139 – If we were to poll gamers thinking about buying an Xbox One what games they are looking forward to the most… something tells me Titanfall will be there.

#149 10 months ago
  150. Joe Musashi

@143 If you are claiming your opinion isn’t subjective than, logically, you’re saying you speak for the entire world.

Also putting “to me” at the start of statements makes them subjective and declares you’re not speaking for the entire world.

Let’s not present guesswork or opinions as fact any more. There’s been far too much of that sort of thing already.

#150 10 months ago
  151. Lengendaryboss

If i were to poll PS3 owners on GTA 5, that would definitely be there.
    Seriously? Okay fine that might be true, But if we were to poll PC and Xbox360 owners as well would that count? Because you know they are still getting the game.

The game is coming out on more than just Xbox One, stop fixating on one platform just because “da power of da cloud” With dedicated servers and superiority over other versions. All without even playing the full version.

I forgot to say some of this is supposed.

#151 10 months ago
  152. Professor Zoom

#144 It depends what you mean with exclusive, it’s not an Xbox One exclusive, nobody have said so, it’s not a platform exclusive either, but in terms of consoles, it’s an Xbox exclusive, that means they have no plans to release it on Sony consoles.

#152 10 months ago
  153. pcbros

@147 – “Yet here you are, deciding that ‘Well, sheeeee-it, don’t matter that it’s all unproven. I see it as an advantage for the Xbox One so that’s the end of it’”

You don’t think anyone is buying an Xbox One because of Titanfall? That game is attracting ZERO gamers to the Xbox One?

Wow… your infinite knowledge has no limits.

#153 10 months ago
  154. bradk825

@149 You are correct sir.

I also hope they give them what they gave COD, dedicated servers, no player hosting.

A lot of fun is made of the “power of the clowd” above but to any diehard COD players that dedicated server announcement would have made up their mind. MS is coughing up the dollars for that, Sony isn’t, and COD will have the same shitty player hosting it’s always had on the same shitty network Sony’s always had. It’s time to stop downplaying the importance of that.

Both consoles have their pros and cons, and fanboys on either side only want to talk about the cons. Just buy what you want, you don’t have to defend your purchasing decision to random internet personalities.

#154 10 months ago
  155. pcbros

@151 – Refer to #153

#155 10 months ago
  156. Lengendaryboss

I’m stopping apparently my points aren’t sinking in, i’m starting to doubt they ever will.

“It’s time to stop downplaying the importance of that.”
    Big difference between poking fun and downplaying, the former which is being done moreso than the latter. But i’ll bite MS covering the majority of the costs for something thats been available for quite some time (Even on current gen) is somehow a gamechanger although has not been proven just like “the same shitty network Sony’s always had” which no-one has experienced on next gen???

#156 10 months ago
  157. Professor Zoom

#148 What about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dead or Alive 1-3, Crimson Sea, Hunter The Reckoning: Redeemer, Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Metal Wolf Chaos and Jet Set Radio Future just to name a few?

Did any of these ever turn multiplatform? I don’t know about Mass Effect 1, but I don’t think it was a parternership game, but Titanfall is, as long as that’s the case, it will likely remain exclusive, just like Halo.

#157 10 months ago
  158. Joe Musashi

@153 Of all the possible things to respond to, you STILL overlook every single contradiction of yours to hammer your Microsoft-sponsored mantra of “TITANFALL = XB1 ADVANTAGE”.

That’s some next-gen level of denials you’ve got going on. Possibly cloud-processing enhanced levels of denial at play also.

That’s pretty amazing.

Also, why are you still focussing on Titanfall after you made a big deal about it being pointless to focus on Titanfall and trying to lay the blame at others for doing so? Do you not see how nonsensical you have become?

But, hey, after not understanding the word “exclusive” at least you seem to have a grip on the meaning of the word “infinite”. So that’s something. I guess.

@156 The salesmen have these people under their spell. The best we can hope for is to glean as much relish from their continual foot-in-mouth episodes as possible.

#158 10 months ago
  159. Ireland Michael

While I completely agree with Harrison that it’s the quality of the games that matters the most, I do think its pretty funny how company’s messages change depending on the position of their hardware in the market.

Weaker hardware: “Its all about the games…”
    Stronger hardware: “CHECK OUT OUR UNRIVALED POWER RAAAAWWRRGGRGH!”

#159 10 months ago
  160. pcbros

@156 – I understand how it’s not an exclusive. I just don’t understand why people insist that this game will not attract gamers to the Xbox One.

As for COD: It’s no secret that host-migrations, hacking and lag have plagued the COD series for a long time.

If indeed, they can eliminate (or minimize in the case of lag) those issues, it will be a big thing for COD players.

But we will have to wait and see.

@158 – You keep talking about contradictions and yet you don’t mention any of them. Please enlighten me, where are all my contradictions…

Something tells me you are just an overstuffed crab spewing philosophical nonsense, trying to appear wise in a video game website’s comment section.

Get a life…

#160 10 months ago
  161. sebastien rivas

Not sure why Harrison comes back here and then just to lubricate the gamers

#161 10 months ago
  162. Lengendaryboss

You should have have stopped at “don’t know” because that means your knowlegde of the subject is not so good.

“I don’t know about Mass Effect 1, but I don’t think it was a parternership game, but Titanfall is, as long as that’s the case, it will likely remain exclusive, just like Halo.”

So a game published by MS isn’t a partnership game but ends up on other platforms eventually but a game published by EA is a partnership game which will remain exclusive to those three platforms for the time being (Someone has to get it right) by comparing it to Halo a first party game.

Nothing wrong in that logic at all.

#162 10 months ago
  163. Professor Zoom

#158 If Titanfall isn’t attracting anyone to Xbox, then Infamous, Killzone and Uncharted isn’t on PS4…

#163 10 months ago
  164. sebastien rivas

Make BF series in the bag too.

BF4 is NO exception, I believe I felt it today from 3 players whereas it was nearly impossible to kill WITH A TANK and gunner.
    Beta BF4 hence Beta hacks too and boy do some work dam fast!
    Thankfully most hacks are almost gone off BF3…yeahhhhhhhh ;)

#164 10 months ago
  165. Lengendaryboss

@156 to @160
    I was right! self five ;) But i don’t recall insisting this game wouldn’t attract players to Xbox One, i’m saying that other platforms are being neglected because of…

But i do remember saying that this game was not exclusive i insisted that very well but a point i don’t even make is very well remembered.

#165 10 months ago
  166. Lengendaryboss

Still doesn’t make any fucking sense, Uncharted isn’t on PS4 (ATM) and the other two are in fact exclusive, yes people thats exclusive, only one platform not three not neglecting PC and Xbox360. And they are also first party something which Titanfall isn’t.

I don’t know how many times i have to spell it out?

#166 10 months ago
  167. Ireland Michael

@161. Haha.

And yep, I totally agree with him, it’s all about the games. Which is exactly why I’ll be buying the PS4 first. It has the far superior lineup of titles coming out on it.

Project Spark is literally the only exclusive title on the Microsoft side of the fence that has me even remotely interested in the hardware. Everything else is just the same old generic, rehashed games I’ve already seen done a dozen times before, with prettier graphics.

#167 10 months ago
  168. pcbros

@165 – The discussion was comparing PS4/XB1 games and how people will choose depending on what games they prefer.

#168 10 months ago
  169. monkeygourmet

Really? Just out of interest, what is attracting you to PS4 first? (Games wise)

#169 10 months ago
  170. Joe Musashi

160 I catalogued a handful of your contradictions on the previous page – which you blithely ignored in your dogged pursuit of evangelising the (unproven) advantages of an (unproven) game on an (unproven) console using (unproven) technology.

My post above in 158 references another of your contradictions.

Do you even know what a contradiction is?

So, before you go about throwing names at people how about you read what people write before arguing they didn’t write it. Hmm?

Your attention to detail is bad. You are full of contradictions and the ONLY area you show consistency in is promoting unproven Microsoft products using the same half-truth spun logic that their PR dishes out.

#170 10 months ago
  171. Ireland Michael

@169 Mostly the original indie games coming out over the next few months. Some of the first party stuff looks interesting, but I’d have to see more gameplay first. Knack looks especially fun.

As far as multiplatforms games go, most of my regular gaming friends are going with the PS4 at launch, so it will be more beneficial for multiplayer, since that’s where most of the people I know will be playing them.

#171 10 months ago
  172. monkeygourmet

Come on Shatner, you’ve had your fill. You’ve won again. Congratulations.

PC Bros, you should stop posting on this website now unless you can apologise enough about your terrible terrible MS loving and Titan Fall errors.

#172 10 months ago
  173. monkeygourmet

I’m going for the Killzone bundle, and yes the Indie stuff. PS Plus will deliver a few free Indie titles I think. Infamous is what I’m really after though, was gutted that wasn’t a launch title! :(

#173 10 months ago
  174. Lengendaryboss

Okay i know i had some sort of hand in this discussion, but all has been said whether thats been listened to? Clearly not.

#174 10 months ago
  175. Professor Zoom

#166 So ALL those who don’t have an Xbox, have a gaming PC to play the game?

And thirdparty = will 100% release on PS4
    First party = will not

Is that your point? I can name a bunch of third party games that came to the original Xbox and 360 that remained exclusives.

#175 10 months ago
  176. Professor Zoom

#167 So you’re gonna buy a PS4 at launch just to play a rehashed Killzone, another Infamous and Driveclub that looks like a game that could’ve been made in 2006?

#176 10 months ago
  177. Ireland Michael

@176 1) I have no interest in any of the games you just mentioned.

2) I don’t intend to even touch the new consoles until late next year at the earliest. I have so many great games to play on the current generation that I don’t really see the point. By the time I pick either of them up, the games will be cheaper, the selection of titles will be bigger, and the hardware will be more reliable.

#177 10 months ago
  178. Lengendaryboss

You can phrase it anyway you perceive, its not exclusive and bending the definition as you see fit won’t work. To answer the question yes they could. My point now will be no matter how hard everyone tries Titanfall is not exclusive where its heading. I never said it would be coming to other platforms i said i don’t trust its not coming to PS3/4 which has been preached so many times to end up eventually coming….

Limit those exclusives by EA, Take Two, Warner Bros, Tecmo Koei, Konami, SEGA etc. etc. major publishers: and have not had any sequel/prequel on other platforms. Try to keep it relevant.

And go…

#178 10 months ago
  179. Professor Zoom

#178 I weren’t asking if they could, I were asking if they were 100% coming to PS4? If it only ‘could’ come to PS4 then how isn’t it attracting anyone to Xbox platforms?

#179 10 months ago
  180. Lengendaryboss

No its not ATM, keep in mind could implies a possibility of it happening and i seriously don’t recall mentioning this wouldn’t attract people to Xbox One, although i do think i would say it would attract people to the platforms its coming to. Not just one platform because of reasons unproven.

Your questioning doesn’t make sense.

#180 10 months ago
  181. daytripper

I want to buy pcbros a coffee and a biscuit

#181 10 months ago
  182. pcbros

@171 – I’m personally looking forward to the indie games myself. Any in particular? I have Mighty No.9, Super Time Force and Samurai Gunn on my radar.

@181 – lol

#182 10 months ago
  183. daytripper

Highly recommend Resogun, I saw it at the EG Expo, gorgeous

#183 10 months ago
  184. monkeygourmet

Was Knack the only game running on PS4 hardware? In fact was anything actually running on the consoles that are less than 2 months from release?

Did you see in actual Xbone consoles for example.

#184 10 months ago
  185. pcbros

@183 – Haven’t seen Resogun myself but I’ll definitely check it out.

#185 10 months ago
  186. Ireland Michael

@182 Almost all of the ones they showed recently, but Rime is the one that has caught my interest the most. Just from looking at it, I would buy a piece of hardware solely for they title.

#186 10 months ago
  187. monkeygourmet

Im mildly worried Rime is also on Vita. I hope that foes t hold it back.

#187 10 months ago
  188. Ireland Michael

@187 It is? Even better. My Vita is already overflowing with games, but hey, the more the merrier!

#188 10 months ago
  189. monkeygourmet

I think so?

Yeah, Vita and PS Plus are very nice! I hope you got a big fat memory card!!! :)

Edit: yep! Looks like it.

#189 10 months ago
  190. daytripper

@184 Resogun was running on PS4, that DS4 is a great controller. I never bothered with Knack sorry.

I did see Forza 5 and that was great, Xbox One controller is awesome but that console, it’s huge!! I actually like the look of it but it’s size is still a slight surprise when you see it in person.

#190 10 months ago
  191. Ireland Michael

@189 My 16GB is already so full that I have to keep deleting stuff. I’m going to have to pick up another one at some point.

#191 10 months ago
  192. Eregol

@190 All PS4 games at EG Expo were running on dev units, as were the Xbox One games. So nothing there.
    Reps from both sides have working retail units at home, so nothing there either.

Resogun looks fantastic and was great fun to play.
    Knack looked a lot better than I thought it would, not only that bit it played better too. It certainly isn’t an easy game by any stretch.
    Octodad was great fun, very silly. People of all ages will love it.
    Killzone looks fantastic. The multiplayer was good to watch, the guy who I was with had a blast playing it.
    Assassin’s Creed was Assassin’s Creed. Nothing special. Looked good though. Map implementation on the touchpad is a very good touch.
    Ho hokum is weird, basically a toy.
    Drive club looked good for Alpha code. Doesn’t handle arcade style as I thought it would. I played really badly.

As for Xbox one, due to the way they set their stall you had to queue for absolutely everything, so I only got to play one game which was Dead Rising 3. Had the most fun of the day, but it was a timed sandbox demo. If the game is true to it’s roots and has a timer then you won’t have the time to do a lot of the really fun stuff we were shown.
    It’s also startlingly grey as well. The lack of colour really bothered me by the end.
    But, my biggest issue was the controller. It was light and felt hollow, like I could crush it at ny moment.
    The bumper placing felt too close to the front of the controller as they’re housed in the shiny plastic that has the Xbox logo on it, it took me a while to figure out where they actually were. The rumble was also really really weak as well. Was massively disappointed in that regard.

#192 10 months ago
  193. fearmonkey

@192 – Does Knack have that Pixar movie quality to it that the vids and screenshots seem to show? So far I am most excited about Knack as I love those type of games. my favorite launch game for the 360 was kameo.

Did you play any of the Killzone Single player? What were your impressions?

What were your opinions on the PS4 controller? On the Xbone controller, did you feel the trigger rumbles?

#193 10 months ago