Xbox TV division has “literally hundreds of ideas” for TV content says Spencer

Wednesday, 18th September 2013 10:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft’s Phil Spencer has stated that the company has, “literally hundreds of ideas” when it comes to Xbox TV content, aside from the announced Halo series.

Speaking with Bloomberg, Spencer said of the Xbox TV studio in Los Angeles, “They have literally hundreds of ideas that they are incubating right now,” and added, “”We will have some new announcement for TV shows coming pretty soon.”

On the topic of interactive sports broadcasting, Spencer added, “We believe sports is a very interesting category globally.”

What do you make of the above? Are you happy to see original programming on Xbox One? Let us know below.

Via GI.biz.

1. Xbone

He keep using that word “literally” but I dont think he knows what it means.

#1 1 year ago
  2. johngeoffrey

Ideas are pretty easy and cheap to come up with.

#2 1 year ago
  3. AngryConsumer

guess what…. the tv and drm for the xbone is coming back, games are gonna come second. mark my words!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Bellisner

Couldn’t help myself!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Tearsir

Is Spencer the next one moving to Zynga after failing and being fired?

#5 1 year ago
  6. AngryConsumer

@4 i couldn’t help myself either, lol…

#6 1 year ago
  7. braindead1981

“We believe sports is a very interesting category globally.” – I am really curious if they have a better offering for us Europeans in that regard this time around. If I can watch the NFL via the Xbox One without paying too much of a fortune (I know the NFL Season pass or whatever it is called is not exactly cheap), I could go for a cheaper subscription with my TV company here in Switzerland since I wouldn’t need the extra expensive one that has the HD sports channels… That would be some of the “thousands of dollars of value” that MS (I think it was Mattrick) was talking about.
    But I am pretty sure I am bound for disappointment…

#7 1 year ago
  8. VibraniumSpork

Programme Idea No 1: ‘Amateur Backtrack Fuckosphere’ – a faux-reality docu-soap filmed on location at Microsoft’s Redmond Research Lab, where an increasingly embittered and confused XB1 Tech team are tasked with coming up with a series of outlandish ideas which, while at first showing promise, inevitably get shunted into the scrapheap.

Episode 1: Trouble is afoot when Junior Researcher Lettie O’Hanrahanrahan suggests that the console could be made to blast hot sand into the face of any gamer who uses the words ‘Fag’, ‘Ho’ or ‘Douchnozzle’ during an online round of Call Of Duty. After a lukewarm response from the collective internets the idea is immediately scrapped, and work begins anew on developing the world’s first video games controller made entirely from Cheese.

Starring Whoopie Goldberg as Lettie, Rick Moranis as Don Mattrick’s Ghost and Justin Long as Internet Troll #4. Soundtrack by Amon Tobin.

#8 1 year ago
  9. _LarZen_

“What do you make of the above? Are you happy to see original programming on Xbox One?”

Yes I am, I think it’s a great idea. But I have no doubt that Europe or any country outside the US is going to draw the short stick and be left out like they always have with Xbox.

#9 1 year ago
  10. AngryConsumer

@9 but your still buying the xbone, so why come here and complain about the lackluster then. you only make yourself look like a fool.

#10 1 year ago
  11. antraxsuicide

@9 I’m not sure. MS is really going after Sony’s market share in Europe. The Fifa deal is proof that they’re spending big bucks on catering to your territory a lot more.

#11 1 year ago
  12. fearmonkey

My first response to this is “Meh” but then I think now that G4 is gone, maybe having game oriented programming isn’t such a bad idea.

I don’t watch a lot of TV so it would have to be awesome to pull me in.

#12 1 year ago
  13. lookingglass

This stuff gets put on VG247 as troll fodder for post counts.

It’s sad how easy MS puts themselves into that position though.

“Using Xbox TV and the English alphabet, we LITERALLY have trillions of possible TV show titles we could make into shows!”

#13 1 year ago
  14. _LarZen_

#10 Am I not allowed to express my concerns like everyone else? It’s a fact that Xbox in the US have much more media content then in EU. So I as probably others are a little concerned that XBO owners in EU will be left out again.

You will have to try harder then that to make me angry, I am immune to trolls and fanboys.

#11 Aye that’s true. Crossing my fingers :)

#14 1 year ago
  15. bitsnark

He still looks like Paul Rudd.

Phil Spencer, that is.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Dave Cook

@15 Phil Spencer was great in I Love You, Man.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Eregol

MS have never produced TV content before, and I don’t think they have the knowledge to make an entry into the industry work
    Sony on the other hand have been producing TV content for years.

#17 1 year ago
  18. antraxsuicide

@17 That’s why they’re not making it. They’re securing the content from other companies in the industry. Wasn’t it CBS that made the deal at the X1 reveal? I can’t remember, but it was one of the major networks.

#18 1 year ago