Photo comparison of OLED Vita screen and the new LCD emerges

Thursday, 12th September 2013 00:41 GMT By Ewan Miller

A kind Twitter user going by the handle Hiro 1998 has taken some reasonably high quality snaps of the new Vita 2000′s LCD screen next to the original Vita’s OLED screen. Check them out below the cut!

In both photos, the top model is the original Vita with the OLED screen. Which do you prefer? I bet if nothing else, the larger Start and Select will be pretty nice.

Thanks, Hiro.

1. FeaturePreacher

I’m liking the oled’s closer to original colors. Less washed out than the lcd.

#1 1 year ago
  2. xxJPRACERxx

Contrast ratio seems better on the OLED. But you can’t really judge screen by looking at pictures on another screen…

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ewan Miller

Yeah, especially when the pictures aren’t even locked on the same image or, particularly for the LCD screen, viewing angle.

#3 1 year ago
  4. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Mmmh is hard so say which screen looks better. On the 1st screenshot with Nate i can not see a huge difference but in screenshot 2 there is a slight …

#4 1 year ago
  5. sebastien rivas

I do not understand,

If the top Vita has the original screen and the bottom vita has the new screen then why has the original screen better contrast. Also but then I am not sure which is right, while the top Vita seems to have better white/dark, the bottom has more yellowish/dark light and contrast hues.

I am not sure what this new screen improves… any idea anyone? perhaps is it more sturdy.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Ewan Miller

The new screen is LCD, which as I understand it is both much cheaper to produce and easier on the battery life, which is presumably what allowed Sony to get the 2000 down to ~$200 and add an hour to the playtime.

#6 1 year ago
  7. II-WAR-STEINER-II

It looks not bad for LCD…

PS: The music in the background WTF lol

#7 1 year ago
  8. fihar

Technically, the OLED technology is newer than LCDs. So the new Vita actually has older instead of newer screens.
    LCDs are cheaper, I don’t think there’s any other advantage than that.

What I don’t understand is that they claim that the LCD screen consume less power but I thought that OLEDs are supposed to be more efficient.

#8 1 year ago
  9. II-WAR-STEINER-II

But how is it possible then? What’s about the TV’s then? Is LCD still the best?

#9 1 year ago
  10. sebastien rivas

@8 and @9

It all depends in the background how chip(s) and data transfer occurs where even a 8K screen the size of a Vita may do poorly compared to a Vita OLED.

Although thanks Fihar, I did not know the technical difference between OLED and LCD.. Thanks a bunch.

Reminds me years ago in the beginning of Nvidia and ATI GPU where two “similar” performance cards would still show signs of 2 different colored screen.

#10 1 year ago
  11. xxJPRACERxx

@9 LCD are not very good from the start, period. They need all sort of workaround like overdrive and complex signal processing to come up with something decent.

That’s why there can be a lot of difference with picture quality between 2 TVs even though they can share the same LCD panel. Different electronics/signal processing.

Nice thing about OLED is each pixel can be lit individually. So black pixels are much darker than LCD because of that. This give better contrast ratio, one the most important thing in judging picture quality.

#11 1 year ago
  12. pcbros

I personally don’t care if there is a slight difference in screen quality as long as the price reflects it.

LCD is cheaper than LED… so I hope this will be cheaper than the $200 LED version.

If they get it at $150 – $175, I’m sold :) … If not I guess I can wait for the Vita TV…

#12 1 year ago
  13. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Thanks but it’s true LCD is not 100% dark it’s maybe dark grey.

Btw is this LCD a IPS or TN?

IPS LCD vs AMOLED

“LG claimed the smartphone LG Optimus Black with an IPS LCD (LCD NOVA) has the brightness up to 700 nits, while the competitor has only IPS LCD with 518 nits and double an active-matrix OLED (AMOLED) display with 305 nits. LG also claimed the NOVA display to be 50 percent more efficient than regular LCDs and to consume only 50 percent of the power of AMOLED displays when producing white on screen.[32] When it comes to contrast ratio, AMOLED display still performs best due to its underlying technology, where the black levels are displayed as pitch black and not as dark gray. On August 24, 2011, Nokia announced the Nokia 701 and also made the claim of the world’s brightest display at 1000 nits. The screen also had Nokia’s Clearblack layer, improving the contrast ratio and bringing it closer to that of the AMOLED screens.”

#13 1 year ago
  14. xxJPRACERxx

@12 It’s OLED, not LED. BIG difference. LED is just an LCD panel with LED back-light instead of CCFL lamp (conventional LCD).

OLED don’t need a back-light. Each pixel produces its own light.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DrDamn

“What’s about the TV’s then? Is LCD still the best?”

OLED TV would be better but TV like screen sizes are still very expensive. Something like OLED will likely eventually replace LCD screens though as the end result is better.

55″ = $9,999

#15 1 year ago
  16. Lord Gremlin

It’s very simple. New cheaper model with worse screen. If you want better screen, buy original. If you wanted it cheap – well, you’d have to compromise something, right?
    I personally wwill stick to my original Vita. That screen is important. Some PS3 ports look better on Vita because of it.

#16 1 year ago
  17. fuchikoma

LCD can be quite nice in terms of contrast and sharpness – like Apple’s iPhone-purpose Retina displays. Going by dot pitch, the Vita would also count as a “retina” display. Also, burn-in is still an issue for AMOLED – notice how the top status bar is dim to reduce this. It’s a big problem in some Nexus phones.

Having said that, I’m very happy with my original Vita. If it eventually burns something in, I have the skills to swap it with a new part that probably won’t be more than $100 by then anyway.

#17 1 year ago
  18. CyberMarco

here’s a video comparison.

#18 1 year ago