PS Vita TV announced: offers PS4 remote play, Vita games on your TV, trailer here

Monday, 9th September 2013 08:59 GMT By Dave Cook

PS Vita TV has been announced by Sony in Japan. It’s a device that lets you play Vita titles on your TV, among other things. Watch the first trailer here.

UPDATE: Sony has now issued a list of games compatible with PS Vita TV.

The list includes Mind Zero, Dead or Alive 5 Plus, Soul Sacrifice, Dragon’s Crown, Final Fantasy X & X-2 Remastered, and much more.

SONY: In a press release issued today, Sony confirmed that the device outputs at 720p, 1080i and 480p and aside from running PS Vita games, will also let you play PS4 remote play, PSP and classic PlayStation titles, as well as movies and TV. Not all Vita games will work on the device however, as some of them require touch screen.

PS Vita TV will – in Japan – support such video services as Sky, Hulu and a range of on-demand networks. It will also support two DualShock 3 controllers.

On PS4 remote play, the release reads, “As with PS Vita, PS Vita TV will also support PS4 remote play and Wireless Controller DualShock 4 through future system software update. This will allow users to
enjoy most of the PS4 games on PS Vita TV as if they are playing it on the PS4 system.

The box itself measures in at 6.5cm × 10.5cm and it’ll release November 14 2013 at ¥9954. A special PS Vita TV Value Pack will also release with a bundled white DualShock 3 controller and a free PlayStation Plus 90 day free trial at ¥14,994.

Here’s the machine’s full specs:

Via GamesHQMedia.

1. Templar_Dante

Awesome :)

#1 7 months ago
  2. Dragon246

Now this is good. Lets see how this does.
    I am feeling this is the PlayStation TV we have been looking forward to.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Francis O

Cool I guess. Reminds me of the playing Pokemon Blue on my N64 transfer back! Or the Super Gameboy.

I like it!

@Dragon- I though the Vita is dead? What does this matter to you?

#3 7 months ago
  4. Erthazus

APPLE TV RIP OFF. L O L Just LOL. Absolutely No originality here. Sony, you are doing so much wrong.

and hey, good name. It won’t sell.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Rocketbilly

So it is a stand alone Vita player, that can also stream PS4 content? Is that what I am seeing here? This really needed a full explanation.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Erthazus

It’s just APPLE TV RIP OFF, not PS vita player or anything. It’s a rip off.

#6 7 months ago
  7. dex3108

And Apple TV can play PSP, PS Vita games and stream PS4 games?

#7 7 months ago
  8. FeaturePreacher

It seems as though it will allow you to play vita titles on your TV as well as stream ps4 content to a TV the ps4 is not connected to. The conference also confirmed ps4-vita remote play functionality works over an internet connection, not just Wi-Fi.

#8 7 months ago
  9. redwood

waaay too much hate in the comments section these days

#9 7 months ago
  10. orakaa

6: Apple TV rip off? Are you seriously insane ?
    It just give the same kind of functionality as Nintendo had with Gameboy Advance and Gamecube, enabling you to play your Gameboy Advance games on your TV.
    So there is nothing revolutionary here but it might be a good feature for those who own a Vita

#10 7 months ago
  11. dizzygear

This looks great and all and may actually get more games on the Vita but how are you supposed to emulate the Vita’s touch screen and rear touch panel on a DS3?

#11 7 months ago
  12. Erthazus

@7, I’m sure going to buy this to play PSP old games or PS Vita Ports on my TV.

you are funny.

#12 7 months ago
  13. Juice_Man101

It’s the fanboys man, they ruin everything.

#13 7 months ago
  14. Dragon246

Note-
    PSVita tv doesn’t support all Vita games (like the ones only touchscreen based and also probably AR ones too).
    Duh.

Btw, they should add DS4 support too. DS3 is probably crap in front of DS4.

#14 7 months ago
  15. aseddon130

This looks awesome, i have a Vita already and would love one of these things! If i get a PS4 i can move room without moving the console. Fantastic idea!!!

I bet the resolutions of the games look a bit rough blown up to 1080p though. for £70 or so it’s worth a gamble, bet its pretty cool.

#15 7 months ago
  16. johngeoffrey

If it comes to UK with a price between £50 – £80 then I’m sold. Also if it launched after PS4 here then I can only assume there will be DS4 support.

#16 7 months ago
  17. dizzygear

@14 So no playing Gravity Rush on my TV through this thing unless they patch it or something? Or does it also support using the Vita as a controller? The latter would be great.

#17 7 months ago
  18. polygem

this is pretty interesting

#18 7 months ago
  19. Dragon246

@17,
    I don’t remember any significant touch only functionality on GR.

Another note – Its interesting that psvtv has DS support, so it may also have ds4 support, which can eliminate the touchscreen worries.

#19 7 months ago
  20. Christopher Jack

Knew they’d try something like this when they neglected HDMI-out.

#20 7 months ago
  21. loci

Holy shit…this is awesome!

Remote PS4 on any TV and a proper PS4 controller \o/

#21 7 months ago
  22. Belmont

Let’s hope this interesting idea makes it outside japan and gets proper marketing and support. It is really cool. It potentially means remote playing PS4 from other room, even another house,over the internet,not to mention the whole PS Vita games .

#22 7 months ago
  23. dizzygear

@19 The menus are purely touch driven, sliding is done by holding the corners of the screen, dodging is done by swiping and aiming/sliding uses the vita’s gyro.

I hope they add using the Vita as a controller as well to play titles without DS3/4 support.

#23 7 months ago
  24. Dragon246

@23,
    Oops. I remembered.
    I hated those sliding time trials, if it weren’t for them, I would have shaved weeks of the time I took to Plat it last year. No wonder I forgot such bad memories :D
    It should happen, why shouldn’t it? Vita as a controller I mean.

#24 7 months ago
  25. _LarZen_

@9 If we just ignore the trolls they will in the end get bored and stop posting. The problem is we tend to feed the leaches with our comments.

#25 7 months ago
  26. CyberMarco

Why the hell didn’t Sony include an HDMI-out for the new PS Vita 2000. It’s total crap.

Now me thinks there is going to be a PS Vita 3000 with HDMI-out included.

#26 7 months ago
  27. TrickyAudio

To the retard that says its an Apple TV rip off… its not hard is it? Theres a world full of them….

Great little idea this, hope its out in the west.

#27 7 months ago
  28. JGMR

I will surely enjoy playing Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD, Persona4 GOLDEN, Dragon’s Crown, Muramasa Rebirth on my TV, without owning a PS3! :D

#28 7 months ago
  29. Lloytron

Ah yeah, obviously this is an Apple TV rip off as clearly I can already remote play PS4 games on my ATV3, put vita cartridges into it, connect up some wireless controllers and play games on that…

Quick, its something new lets hate on it cos we can!

#29 7 months ago
  30. Djoenz

I have to admit man I dont like handhelds but playing those games on tv s cool as hell. 1gb is not acceptable though.

#30 7 months ago
  31. AngryConsumer

this looks just awesome, im for sure getting one on day one. this will be good to have for the killzone mercenary online gameplay. 720p sweetness and a ds controller, it made my day :)

#31 7 months ago
  32. monkeygourmet

Am I missing something here?

Please, someone explain this device too me…

You can stream PS4 games? To what, Vita? Or another TV?

I can play Vita games on my TV? Why wasn’t this included in the PS4, you could have had a slot to accept Vita cards?

So now I have to buy this, a PS4, a PS Eye, PS VR googles, A Vita, A Tablet etc… If I want the whole experience?

It seems like Sony are doing their usual thing of trying to throw enough shit at the wall to see if it sticks…

Also, why would you want to play Vita games on your TV? This device never worked well for Nintendo. Maybe if it was a feature of the PS4 console it would work better, but to have ANOTHER seperate device… Just sounds really clumsy.

To get the ‘complete’ PS4 experience sounds like it will cost upwards of £1000…

#32 7 months ago
  33. DrDamn

It’s just options. Devices which work together. I don’t get this “complete” experience stuff. Why does everything have to come with every single peripheral you could possibly need for it? This, a regular Vita, a tablet – they are all stand alone devices in their own right. They just become more useful when you start combining them – that’s a *good* thing.

#33 7 months ago
  34. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Whoa not bad Sony ^^

Now, Sony starts a new era! A new PlayStation for $399/£349, a new Controller for £54 now the Vita Update ^^ so that’s fantastic to see Sony are working hard and right for Gaming.

This is History it’s a great Comeback after 2006!

@32 £1000? Huh? I mean WTF???

#34 7 months ago
  35. monkeygourmet

I only say it because Sony have a huge habit of under-supporting new doohicky’s and ‘add ons’…

Their teams don’t seem to communicate and you end up with lots of devices that have promise but fizzle out into nothing.

I guess this is there push for the complete living room space though, shame they have google, apple & MS all doing the same thing.

Very crowded and a hard place to become the market leader.

I say complete because it’s hard to justify buying a product if the support is poor.

I like the look of the PS Eye, but it will almost certainly fail miserably compared to Kinect because it’s ‘not in the box’…

If Sony choose to sell it seperatly, why not improve on Kinect as they have more freedom with it not upping to the price of the PS4?

Why would anyone want to spend more money on an inferior device that may / may not be supported?

People said the Mega CD gave you more options for content! ;)

#35 7 months ago
  36. monkeygourmet

PS Vita – £100
    PS 4 – £349
    PS Eye – £49
    PS VR – lets say £149 and be conservative
    PS TV – £99

Okay, £745

I suppose you get a fair bit of ‘kit’ with that package.

#36 7 months ago
  37. II-WAR-STEINER-II

#35

Do you know SOMETHING about the KZ4 Bundle? Include a 2nd DS4 and the Eye Cam and the Game all together for $499…

Sony plans a Vita/PS4 Bundle so where is the problem?

Idk maybe you are hating for nothing

#37 7 months ago
  38. monkeygourmet

Maybe your love of a company clouds your mind.

Im picking up a PS4 as my next gen console, im just not going to like everything Sony do because im purchasing their console though.

“Sony plans a Vita/PS4 Bundle”, does it?

I thought that was un-confirmed? Maybe they should put a Vita in the package you listed above and they can have another SKU to work with.

#38 7 months ago
  39. Fin

Dude you’ve left out PSP and PS3.

#39 7 months ago
  40. CycloneFox

Just ignore the haters.

It’s a great idea. If you are not in for mobile gaming and say, you already have a big screen at home, so why should you buy a device that brings a small screen with it, then you can just buy this for a really good price, if you want to play Vita games, PSOne games, PSP games or PS Mobile games.

The only downer is, that there is no way to use touch-features this way. Because Gravity Rush, for example, is one of the best and under-rated games of last year and I would really want more people to play it. It would be great, if Sony at least enabled you to play Gravity Rush with a DS4 and use the touch-pad to dodge.

#40 7 months ago
  41. monkeygourmet

You can play PSP through the TV doohicky and PS3 via Gaikai

It’s the whoooooole PS experience in 12 easy to use devices! ;)

#41 7 months ago
  42. monkeygourmet

So…..?

You need a Vita…

How would you actually play Gravity Rush without the touchscreens? Or will devs have to patch in games to work withut it? And devs have to patch in support for Vita cross play when it doesn’t have as many trigger buttons as a PS4 pad….?

All sounds very messy to me…

Ultimatly, whats the point of this device?

IMO, this should have been included with the PS4, ideally ‘in built’. It just feels like Sony are hacking bits off the main device to keep the cost down.

Or better still, chucked a Vita in the box and priced it £429, people weren’t expecting £349 anyway and they’ve had 8 years to save up…

#42 7 months ago
  43. II-WAR-STEINER-II

monkeygourmet

Trust me there is actually no point to hate Sony or anything else

We all get new PlayStation for £349 hello? Is that expansiv or a new Controller for £54 i don’t think so…

PS: They will confirm, for more information wait for the TGS (Tokyo Game Show)… September 19-22

#43 7 months ago
  44. DrDamn

Where is there going to be lack of support? This is about features and integration. PSV is a device and it’s supported, PSVTV is therefore going to get support because it plays PSV stuff, it has PSV hardware in it – it’s a simple point of the feature set. The same with remote play of PS4 games on PSV – the dev doesn’t have to do anything, it doesn’t take away resources from the PS4 like PS3/PSP integration – it’s an OS feature.

This sort of design and thinking is not what you got from Sony before and demonstrates better inter department communication doesn’t they?

PSEye/Kinect is a separate point – I can see why MS have included it and that’s a good thing for them it’s a key part of the system – X1 was designed to work with Kinect. I can also see why Sony have chosen not to include the PS4 Camera. The PS4 system isn’t designed around the Camera, but to work with it if it’s there – it’s therefore more optional than an integrated part of the system. Both are valid approaches. Kinect will get more support, but on the flipside not everyone wants one.

#44 7 months ago
  45. DrDamn

You don’t need this and a Vita – this is Vita hardware, look at the spec. It just lacks the touch screen.

Are you talking about Remote Play with Vita and PS4? (not Cross play). It’s an OS feature. It just works. Devs don’t have to do anything. There are options for how you map shoulder buttons in the remote play options.

#45 7 months ago
  46. DrDamn

“IMO, this should have been included with the PS4″

That completely misses the point of this devices market. It’s a low cost option to play games and stream content. It works with PS4 if you have one but the core point is it’s a low cost stand alone device.

#46 7 months ago
  47. super3001

dont dare suggest sony not perfect. drones will swarm you!

defense force hoooooo!

#47 7 months ago
  48. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Exactly… And Sony stands more for Gaming i mean for the Core… PLUS Developers ranging from Rockstar to Bungie will be giving Sony exclusive content. So why?

The PlayStation 4 is the best experience for Gaming.

#48 7 months ago
  49. CyberMarco

@monkey

Clearly Sony is trying to compete with AppleTV, Roku, OUYA etc. I believe that Sony wants to incorporate the multimedia/streaming services (ala Apple TV and Roku) with the gaming features like OUYA.

It’s targeted to a separate demographic, one that’s not so keen in spending a capital for some console-like gaming experience but still want to have some extra multimedia features.

I don’t know if I have to feel good or bad for that decision, we’ll see how things will turn out. Definitely it’s a chance to increase the Vita adoption rate and making developers see the platform with more comfort.

Regarding the “whole -put your desired brand name here- experience” the same can be said for Microsoft/Nintendo/Apple etc. With the Xbox One you need the console (500$), a decent tablet (150-200+$), Xbox Live Gold (+60$/y) to fully experience what MS has to offer.

Those features could easily be included in the PS4 and Sony happily didn’t include so they could sell an extra gadget. One thing that really bothers me is why the hell they didn’t include an HDMI-out port in the new PS Vita 2000?

On a side note, I wonder why some companies keep under-delivering products when clearly there isn’t any major problem to sell a “complete” experience. /rant!

#49 7 months ago
  50. pcbros

With all respect, if people are not really buying the Vita at the moment and it’s a handheld. Why would you want to buy a Vita that is not a handheld? Wouldn’t the PS3 be a better deal?

I don’t really see the point of handheld gaming if you are using it as a console.

#50 7 months ago
  51. CyberMarco

They are trying to compete with Apple TV and OUYA like products.

#51 7 months ago
  52. fearmonkey

So this is Vita hardware in a box that allows you to stream vita and PS4 content to a TV the PS4 is not connected to. Is the market clamoring for this in Japan? It’s kind of a neat idea but i’m wondering if there is a big enough of a market for it.

#52 7 months ago
  53. DrDamn

It doesn’t stream Vita content, it plays Vita content. It doesn’t need a Vita. It natively plays supported Vita games, PSP games & PSOne games.

#53 7 months ago
  54. Prof Power Glove

Very interesting device. A lot of people who end up owning a PS4 (and have it in their living room) would probably like the option of remote playing it with another tv in the house. Also a nice way to play some of the no doubt decent Vita games out there that nearly everyone has missed (I don’t know anyone with a Vita – it’s all 3DS).

#54 7 months ago
  55. Clupula

As someone who doesn’t like portables, this may be the perfect solution for me.

#55 7 months ago
  56. Dragon246

@Clupula,
    That is what I thought when I first looked at it too!
    *this will be great for Clupula*

#56 7 months ago
  57. CyberMarco

I still can’t digest the fact that the new PS Vita model doesn’t have HDMI-out!!! -.-

#57 7 months ago
  58. Dragon246

@CM,
    That is the USP for psvtv. They want people who want that to buy 100 buck psvtv.
    And of course, cost cutting measure.

#58 7 months ago
  59. CyberMarco

@Dragon
    I know that, but something tells me that the next redesign is going to have an HDMI-out port.

I wasn’t going to buy a PS Vita, regardless of the redesign not until fall 2014. With this in mind I think I’ll postpone that too!

#59 7 months ago
  60. Dragon246

@CM,
    Your decision obviously.

#60 7 months ago
  61. pcbros

Wouldn’t it have been smarter to have included all these features in the PS4?

I’m sure it can’t be that hard for the PS4 to emulate Vita games. Heck, if I was Sony, I’d have the PS4 emulate the PS, PS2, PSP, PS3 AND Vita. That would have added a lot of value to the PS4.

I think Sony dropped the ball here…

#61 7 months ago
  62. CyberMarco

@61 “Wouldn’t it have been smarter to have included all these features in the PS4?”

And how would they force the consumers to buy an extra device, huh? This is something that I can’t stand from various companies, that under-deliver their products on purpose. To make you fork an extra 100$ for the convenience of the product, when it could have been easily integrated in another device.

#62 7 months ago
  63. Dragon246

And that would have added 100$ to PS4 price.
    And Sony would have lost all that price advantage.
    Remember PS3 launch? 600$? Sales after BC was removed learly tells most gamers don’t give a damn about BC and price point is much more important. They buy a console for its own games.
    And if really you need all that, well, pay up and buy the console.
    You cannot really have it both ways, can you?

#63 7 months ago
  64. AngryConsumer

with sony’s game library and indie support, the ouya is dead now, psvitatv killed it easy.

#64 7 months ago
  65. DrDamn

@61/62
    Again that completely misses the point of the device. It’s meant to be a cheap product not a feature of an expensive one.

#65 7 months ago
  66. YoungZer0

@55: Same here. If given the choice I play games at home, so this is the perfect device for me. $100? Are you kidding me? So getting this.

#66 7 months ago
  67. pcbros

@63 – “And that would have added 100$ to PS4 price.”

How does emulation add cost to the hardware? Isn’t emulation done on the software side? The PS4 is virtually a PC in a small box. My PC can emulate older consoles, wouldn’t the PS4 have the same capability? Even the Ouya can emulate classic PS games.

And I think backwards compatibility is big. Makes transitioning to a new system less painful. Do you really want a PS, PS2, PS3 and a PS4 all hooked up to your TV? lol

@65 – I didn’t realize it was only $100… I didn’t have time to break out my yen2dollar calculator ;)

Article quote: “will also let you play PS4 remote play”

I take it this is so someone can game in a different room with moving the PS4?

I would be nice if this could play PSN games too…

#67 7 months ago
  68. pcbros

Reading this article again… PS2 support would have been nice :) It’s the only console without a home. I’m assuming PS4 will support PS3 some how in the future.

#68 7 months ago
  69. monkeygourmet

I’m really starting to dislike all these ‘extras’. It feels cheap.

Extras they may be, but I still think its a cop out to get a cheaper priced box out the gate, but lacks forward vision. The Eye demo reel looked great fun, yet, it’ll be heavily unsupported.

I would have Sony would have done better by letting people pay for HD remasters of Vita games, I feel this device will cause confusion and split the market.

#69 7 months ago
  70. pcbros

I guess it’s nice that you can play your PS4 on another TV. I wonder if their is any lag when you stream games.

For $100, I’ll keep this on my radar. The original PS was one of my favorite consoles. So if Sony has a nice library of PS classics, I’ll check it out.

EDIT: Just checked out the PS Classics at the PS Store (online) and they have a nice library :) Also, noticed PS2 games are referred to as “Classics”, so maybe this means the PS Vita TV will play PS2 games.

#70 7 months ago
  71. CyberMarco

@DrDamn, yeah I know it’s targeting a different audience, but it wouldn’t hurt to release the PS Vita TV along with the PS4 emulating the same features and making the damn redesigned Vita 2000 with an HDMI-out port.

#71 7 months ago
  72. monkeygourmet

Not a huge amount of Vita titles are supported yet:

#72 7 months ago
  73. pcbros

@71 – I agree.

Btw, I’d love to see a Vita redesign. The Vita needs a fresh start with a good line-up. Now’s the time.

@72 – Well, not a lot of Vita games I want :)

#73 7 months ago
  74. Christopher Jack

If they were to release the entire PSP, PS2 & PS1 catalogue(the non gimmick required ones) on their store they could really be onto something here. Though without AAA Vita games (Uncharted, Gravity Rush, etc) seems kinda silly at the moment. I’m sure they could patch the game to support touch-less controls or use the sixaxis instead.

#74 7 months ago
  75. DrDamn

I think a lot would be surprised to learn there are that many Vita games full stop. That’s a decent list considering the limitations of this device. You’ll see developers thinking a bit more about this in future releases – though potentially is that a bad thing for the regular Vita? Will they not exploit the screens in order to make the game fit a wider target audience?

#75 7 months ago