Xbox One will allow users to download content remotely

Friday, 30th August 2013 20:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox One will allow users to download content remotely. This was confirmed by Xbox boss Marc Whitten on Twitter last night in a series of tweets. “Yes! Of course you can download while you are away,” he said. “Always up to date, always your console. The beauty of low power mode. All marketplace items can be downloaded. You won’t have to worry about updates – they’ll download [without] you having to care.” This can be accomplished using the Xbox Games website, the web, and through SmartGlass. Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Aullah

Always on. Always listening.

#1 8 months ago
  2. G1GAHURTZ

^ Always moaning.

#2 8 months ago
  3. pcbros

@1 – The PS4 has the same feature…

#3 8 months ago
  4. Innis

^^^ Always bitching.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

Always defending, always right, always know when to stop.

#5 8 months ago
  6. G1GAHURTZ

^ Always Ultra.

#6 8 months ago
  7. lexph3re

^ ALWAYS ON THE GRINNNDDD

#7 8 months ago
  8. pukem0n

c-c-c-c-combo breaker

#8 8 months ago
  9. ysleiro

This can be viewed as a bit of a pain by some. Hear me out.

Back when Oblivion (the game) came out. There were some GREAT bugs. I got rich off “cloning” bugs and some dude who’s pocket would never run out of money (I killed him and kept robbing his pocket).

I purposely avoided updating Oblivion until I was FILTHY rich. In the near future Xbox and PS4 will simply update your wonderful BUGS away.. aww shucks!

#9 8 months ago
  10. Hcw87

It’s not hard to turn off this feature you know.

Like, a push of a button. That or disconnect the console.

#10 8 months ago
  11. ysleiro

#10 Oh I know. Just saying.

#FirstWorldProblems

#11 8 months ago
  12. Max Pain

“Always up to date, always your console”

I’m not sure i want that feature on my console. i like to read up on patches and the bugs that follow it..

the PS3 and Xbox 360 had some awe-full patches in their life. Some times the patch would even be the cause that the console broke…

thought if I’m able to turn off “auto update” and have the remote Download feature in the same package I’m all in !

#12 8 months ago
  13. Major Mayhem 70

“Anything you can do I can do better”
    Truth is MS said this months ago.
    How about Marc Whitten Tweeting a release date. Now that would be news.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

How about “Late November”

#14 8 months ago
  15. Fluffytoast

Anyone complaining that ‘they might not want updates’ is just looking for something to whine about. Sure, every once in a while an update breaks something, but it’s happened so little I trust that if/when they start breaking saves/consoles, companies would be responsible enough to deal with it. This saves SO MUCH time stopping and starting, I dread to think know how much time I’ve spent looking at download and update screens in the past few years.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Max Pain

Fluffytoast
    sure i see your point, but i got a fast internet connection. so downloading patches never bothered me.

I’m not here to whine, just to inform.
    I don’t completely trust Sony or Microsoft. i don’t want them messing with my console.

if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

i rather look on forums if ppl is having problems with updates. then having an unusable console.

#16 8 months ago
  17. Phoenixblight

Unusuable console? I have only seen that with people in forums claiming a patch bricked their console and if it did that console wasn’t going to work for that much longer.

#17 8 months ago
  18. loci

I don’t see him mention “download content remotely”.

Queued or automated (updates etc) is not the same as remote downloads.

#18 8 months ago
  19. Kreion

Well, you are whining, just to inform you of that.

You know what wasn’t broken? The Xbox 360. You know what was vastly improved by software updates over the course of its lifespan…oh look. There are a lot of reasons why you shouldn’t trust big corporations, but not trusting them to not break their OWN hardware is a step too far. I never heard of any update which had widespread machine bricking – most of the time it was people with hacked 360′s trying to get a new machine.

The only people here who’ve complained about remote updates are those who want to take advantage of bugs and exploit the game -.- Stop complaining about a universally good feature.

#19 8 months ago
  20. Djoenz

Hope there is an option for auto updates.

On the ps3 the latest updates apparantly bricked some ps3′s. Autoupdates is a ps+ feature which automatically updates but it doesnt immediately install you have to manually do it. I was lucky to not update until they fixed it.

So yeah it can happen.

#20 8 months ago
  21. Phoenixblight

I had gotten that patch and that was claimed to be bricking Ps3′s and yet I am still able to play and again that rumor only lives on the internet and only during that week of a patch. Its paranoia.

#21 8 months ago
  22. Cobra951

I never autoupdate anything, anywhere. I like to know what I’m changing before I change it.

Autoupdates can always be turned off somehow. Currently, the 360 simply kicks you offline if you reject an update. If the One always silently updates without even informing you, we have a problem, and the only solution I see for that would be to leave the console offline by default, and only connect it when you need to. Given how many of the niceties of the dashboard have moved online over the years, that would suck.

Games, I *frequently* keep from updating. If I like how something works, and they change it in a patch, why should I accept that? Being able to reject game updates is way more important to me than rejecting system updates. Gotta have it.

Every consumer device can be entirely turned off with a switched AC outlet.

#22 8 months ago