Lionhead: Xbox One policy changes prove Microsoft isn’t “as aloof and removed as reputation suggests”

Thursday, 29th August 2013 21:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Lionhead’s creative director Gary Carr believes Microsoft’s policy changes with Xbox One prove it’s listening to the consumer.

Speaking with OXM, Carr said he believes the changes provide evidence the company cares about its core audience.

“A lot of people sometimes think that Microsoft is too far removed from what people are saying and what people want, but I don’t think that’s actually true,” he said. “The fact that Microsoft turned round and changed its Xbox One online policy within a week – is that a bad thing? I think that’s a great thing. I think it is listening.

“It turned around and admitted ‘we got some things wrong, we’ve heard you and we’ve changed our policy on that’.”

Carr, like Microsoft, believes the future is a digital-only space but also feels it wasn’t wise to force the switch so soon on the consumer.

“I think it’s obviously reaching for the future, and that’s what Apple and all these guys want to do, but you can’t always be sure when people are ready for change, or whether it’s the right change,” he said.

“I think the fact that Microsoft turned around and changed what it showed at E3 shows that the team are not as aloof and removed as their reputation suggests.”

Xbox One is slated for release sometime in Novemeber.

1. MCTJim

They did indeed say they were listening and listened they have.

#1 11 months ago
  2. laughing-gravy

A more caring company wouldn’t try to shaft you in the first place!

#2 11 months ago
  3. JamieAllen

My Uncle Alex just got a fantastic black Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab from only workin parttime on a pc… visit the site… C­­a­­f­­e­­4­­4.ℂ­­ℴ­­ℳ

#3 11 months ago
  4. dexfx69

They’ve listened alright – after we revolted because they tried to shaft us with the Xbone in many ways, and because they knew they would lose market share if they didn’t give in a little. Absolutely non trustworthy company nowadays, obviously. They don’t “care” about the consumer. To them, we’re just “the dummies” that put money in their pockets. Good thing we’re not as dumb as they think we are. They can keep their big brother schemes – I’m going with PS4, for $100 less.

#4 11 months ago
  5. bobnice

I didnt have a problem with their initial policies. I use steam all the time and it would have been the same thing plus new benefits like family share plan with 10 friends. I wouldve loved that. The fact that I could have bought a disk and once installed it would link to my gamertag forever and I would also then be entitled to download and own the digital version as well, just like steam powered disks. They were also forming a digital trade in feature. All this and the downside was I had to connect every 24hrs…please, im connected every second of the day. Most people who complained about being on the internet were on the internet complaining about having to be on the internet……just my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

#5 11 months ago
  6. MCTJim

@5 I too liked their original policy except the 24 hr check…I understand why it had a 24 hr check…but people just heard DRM and then nothing else.

People tend to forget Sony was horrible just a few short years ago too..but as I see, most have forgotten.

#6 11 months ago
  7. laughing-gravy

Sony never tried to remove the basic consumer right of ownership and try to sell us licenses. So not that horrible!

#7 11 months ago
  8. Eury Spenta

@4 xone isnt even realesed yet,how did they shaft you with DRM?
    @7 yes but they promised you “4D & 120 FPS,1080p , 2tflops, killzone, the last gaurdian,agent”

#8 11 months ago
  9. mistermogul

Yeah they listened but they had to, they had no choice. We all saw the backlash spread over every gaming site and they would have been foolish to have ignored the feedback.

As an owner of Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox live from the beginning, they have annoyed me enough to go PS4 next gen.

They can backtrack as much as they like but for me the damage has already been done…

#9 11 months ago
  10. super3001

sony never tried to innovate just same boring shit with faster processor

xbox is only true next gen console

#10 11 months ago
  11. NiceFellow

It wasn’t “listening” it was blind panic that has seen the console launch go from over 20 countries to 13 and apparently now only 5 will have full features of Kinect at launch not to mention apparently a day one firmware upgrade to reverse out the stuff the market rejected.

If MS was “listening” then they wouldn’t have revealed the XB1 the way they did and they only listened at the last minute (after rejecting any notion of change) when they saw the pre-order situation.

Sorry but MS showed their true colours with XB1 reveal. For a while with 360 they seemed genuinely interested in gaming market, a few golden years from launch to just before Kinect – but its obvious they really only see it as an easy stepping stone to something else entirely and their direction is not one I’m interested in (no matter how much they pay for timed DLC and exclusives to try and force me towards their console.

For the moment I’ve made an early New Year’s resolution – I’m going to resist Halo/Forza and see where the dust really settles say 18 months from launch before I even consider an XB1.

#11 11 months ago
  12. laughing-gravy

@8 In no way is under delivering on software as bad as removing consumer rights. That’s just plain greed and evil to boot.

#12 11 months ago
  13. MCTJim

Microsoft has already been forgiven and consumers are going to buy everything they can get their hands on this Christmas Season

both consoles are going to do well..but in the end..its the games that count and MS clearly had a better showing at E3 and Gamescom.

E3 was a PR disaster and as far as I am concerned..nothing more

#13 11 months ago
  14. laughing-gravy

@10 Removing consumer rights isn’t progress. It’s a regression to a period in history when industry barons could ride roughshod over customers and get away with it. It takes you back to the Victorian era.

#14 11 months ago
  15. ysleiro

I honestly believe MS knew their stance would be problematic.

They probably spoke to publishers about it who OBVIOUSLY wouldn’t complain. The only remaining factor would be their competition: Sony.

MS more than likely indirectly indicated what it had planed to Sony via the publishers at which point a sort of “chicken” game began in which Sony decided they wouldn’t implement these changes and would call MS’s bluff on it (whilst taking a huge PR win).

Considering MS’s turnaround I’m inclined to think they were even expecting to have to turn around or planned for it depending on the public’s reception if Sony called their bluff.

#15 11 months ago
  16. laughing-gravy

@13 No they haven’t. Just look at the pre-orders.

#16 11 months ago
  17. laughing-gravy

@15 So you were in on the meetings then, amazing!

#17 11 months ago
  18. mistermogul

@11 – Good comment…

#18 11 months ago
  19. ysleiro

@17 I’m sure they had people come over and discuss their plans. I’m sure they were aware of how people were reacting to the rumors of DRM on the consoles etc.

You think a company the magnitude of MS would just BLINDLY decide things?

#19 11 months ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

Yeah because complaining about the 24 check was optional the 24 check wasn’t, so trying to compare what you think is hypocrisy, when it isn’t even close.

Super is a troll like Zoom, Super likes being bent over backwards by MS and Zoom is just a Xbox troll. You can feed them but don’t overstuff them :)

#20 11 months ago
  21. BurritoZ

LOL the onlything they listened to was their shitty pre order numbers after e3.

I’ve had all playstations 1-3 and both an Xbox and Xbox 360, but with xbox it ends this current gen, never buying a gaming console from MS again. After all the shit they pulled i lost trust in them, and im pretty sure im not the only one who thinks this way. Guess MS is is going to have to #DealWithit and all the customers they lost.

#21 11 months ago
  22. laughing-gravy

@19 Yes I do. This is Msoft were talking about. How can you be sure if you don’t work for them?

#22 11 months ago
  23. _LarZen_

If anything I have gotten more respect for Microsoft as a company after all this mess.

I think we all can agree that the way they showed us their vision and how their PR was back then was just plain horrible. They got allot of negative feedback and they took action.

They could just as easily just said no this is the way the XBO is going to be and it’s going to be great etc etc..

They sure have the money to go trough with something like that.

But they did not, they did the right thing and listen to their costumers,developers and the press.

And for that they have my respect, XBO and a PS4 is pre-ordered a long time ago. I am ready for the next-gen of console gaming.

#23 11 months ago
  24. sebastien rivas

I am not certain where this MS versus Sony or Sony versus MS is coming from.

Manufacturers don’t give a rat ass about extra features like 24/h check if it does not fall as a feature for gamers and/or family exeperience. As long as their box sells, they are happy. implementing new features like the 24/h check is a MS decision but not a direct one and I believe I came across an article a good month and half ago on VG247 saying that EA was approaching MS for in my understanding was better anti piracy.

Let’s point fingers all we want in each and every direction we like.
    The fact is MS brought an unpopular feature adjointed to somethign that was potentially cool and were not able to understand the public.

#24 11 months ago
  25. torjs99

Lionhead are owned by microsoft

THEY WOULD SAY THAT!

#25 11 months ago
  26. DSB

It’s not “listening” when you see your preorders start dropping to half of the competition. That’s just basic self-preservation, hastened by a bit of panic.

There’s a big difference between being sorry, and being sorry you got caught. This has so obviously been a case of the latter.

#26 11 months ago
  27. MCTJim

So by the logic implied by some people in here, did you forget about the PS online data breach? It was the 4th largest in history..they got hacked not once but twice and said it was just a system issue..Then 8 days later they said they got hacked..thats right with your CC info etc..8 days…do you know the damage that can be done in 8 days? I do and its not pretty…then no online for a month…..but but but they gave us a free game that makes up for it…..

I have forgiven Sony for that…but I removed any info which could be compromised. and that was a huge PR disaster for them but people forgave them with the giving of free stuff….far as I am concerned 99.9% of all the hullabloo about the X1 is just hot air…it wont effect the Console or its sales. Pre-orders for both are amazing.

@23 I agree and come November, I will be enjoying both!!

#27 11 months ago
  28. laughing-gravy

@27 And who was behind that data breach? It wasn’t Sony was it? That’s like saying the British were to blame for the second world war because they squared up to nazi germany after they invaded Poland. Your logic makes no sense. The hackers were to blame.

#28 11 months ago
  29. Joe Musashi

@27 It’s been shown, over and over, despite anonymous pastebins and lies, that there is yet to be any significant data fallout from the data breach. There has been no verified proof that ANY financial data was actually compromised or misused. People learned of it because Sony shut down PSN – the only way to be secure is go offline – and that’s the step they took. They didn’t shrug it off and keep their shops open like other companies do. That there are still people out their that go on about ‘CC info held in plain TXT file’ shows just how much people favour rumours that suit their bias over reality.

I’m more concerned about Microsoft’s insistence that XBL has never been breached, their astonishing control of media reports with the ongoing FIFA fishing issue and how they’ve point blank refused to protect CUSTOMERS that requested all transactions be blocked on their XBL account due to fears of breach, only for MS to still allow transactions, then provide zero customer service to the CUSTOMER that was now at loss – without huge effort on the customer’s side. Read the XBL forums and, in particular, the very lengthy, detailed, NeoGaf topic – filled with people affected by this issue.

Transparency vs denial, secrecy and not listening to customers. I know which I favour.

You still choose not to see all the trees in the magical forest of yours.

“Microsoft has already been forgiven..”

Says who? The MS-can-do-no-wrong brigade and the astroturfers? Spouting bullshit like it was fact. Wilful spreading of misinformation? I can see why you like Microsoft – you have plenty in common.

JM

#29 11 months ago
  30. MCTJim

wait, so its not Sony’s fault for having a piss poor security? Point is they did not confirm it, they said it was a system issue…they were fined for their breach and did not contest it…..but the masses forgave them..it was a PR nightmare…They were forced to fix their buggy security hole ridden system.

so if drive your car drunk(Sony) and you run someone over..its the alcohols fault?(hackers)

MS listened and as I see it they are on the right track.

#30 11 months ago
  31. Hcw87

I got Fifa phished (used the same email on my EA account as my Xbox Live gamertag), got my account back after 3 days, and the money returned a week later. Awesome if you ask me.

With proper security in place, they wouldn’t be in that situation. If the hackers were to blame, why haven’t they targeted Microsoft yet? After all the backlash they got, it’s a wonder Xbox Live didn’t get nuked to the ground allready. But i guess they have proper security in place.

#31 11 months ago
  32. Arcnail

I think the PR here just sucked. I mean, Steam is 100% DRM and it’s quite popular.

The fact they didn’t talk about WHY they wanted to do what we already knew, and some were ticked off about, is why ‘it’ hit the fan.

Doesn’t matter now.. it’s equal.. so lets worry about who’s got the better games now. Cause that’s all that matters.

#32 11 months ago
  33. MCTJim

@29 LOL…boy oh boy, I guess I hit a nerve..LOL so I guess the fines and court rulings are myth..

LOL MS now control the media..OMG do you hear yourself?

as for being forgiven..yup, cant get a system anywhere here on pre-order.

#33 11 months ago
  34. DSB

There’s no way Sony can acquit themselves their responsibility in the breach at this point. It was a piss poor response.

When hackers tried to pull the same thing on Mojang, they had their servers shut down within literally seconds. Don’t tell me a multi billion dollar corporation can’t provide the same response if they’re on top of their game.

It is the perfectly correct response to a serious attack, but it needs to happen within minutes, not days, as Sony admitted they did.

@32 It’s psychology. Steam is virtually an “always online” platform, but it wasn’t achieved by making it a mandatory requirement, it was achieved by giving people incentives to stay online. You can get pretty far with a bit of carrot.

#34 11 months ago
  35. Joe Musashi

@30 Did you even follow what was happening? Clearly not. Their blog reported every update as and when they knew it. They even went as far to distinguish to difference between hashing data and encrypting it.

It WAS a system issue. It WAS a data breach. They didn’t deny it (like some). They chose to take the hit and take their service offline – the only safe option. Which meant stopping all transactions, upsetting all content partners who were expecting revenue (like the launch of Portal 2). They didn’t hide it and keep counting the money (like some).

Unlike Microsoft and people like you who support them: NO DENIALS occured. Morons persisting in spreading their bullshit ignorance via their personal bias is utterly pathetic. Spreading misinformation is as much a risk to user security as anything a hacker can do. And that’s exactly what you’re doing. You obviously don’t care about the issue of security.

If you genuinely gave a shit about the topic of security as opposed to promoting one brand at the expense of the other then you’d already know the ongoing saga of the FIFA fishing issue that has plagued XBL – to Microsoft’s complete denial – regardless of the countless user testimonies (testimonies of personal losses and unauthorised transactions that, to this day, nobody has been able to unequivically show with regards to the PSN hack).

I’ve told you where you can find the information but as it doesn’t make Microsoft look good you will completely ignore it.

Best to favour the path of ignorance than risk learning of information that doesn’t make your beloved brand look as perfect as you want it to. Right?

And don’t give me your ‘systems expert’ spiel. You tried that before and showed how ignorant you were of 2-decade old industry practices that you knew nothing of until Microsoft u-turned on certain policies (and you u-turned along with them).

You need to get out of your forest – you really can’t see the wood for the trees.

JM

#35 11 months ago
  36. laughing-gravy

@30 Their security worked fine for a long time and the data breach happened at a very convenient time for one of their competitors. The hackers were to blame for the breach. Sony were only guilty of misplaced trust. And your drink drive analogy is piss poor and back to front. Sony wasn’t the driver, they were the ones that got run over.
    EDIT: Stop trying to misdirect the conversation away from the issue of ownership.

#36 11 months ago
  37. Lengendaryboss

Ok whats happening here…

#37 11 months ago
  38. MCTJim

@35 They got fined and had to fix it now didnt they? :)

#38 11 months ago
  39. Hcw87

”Their security worked fine for a long time and the data breach happened at a very convenient time for one of their competitors.”

TINFOIL HATS EVERYONE.

#39 11 months ago
  40. laughing-gravy

@39 And you’re happy being phished, good luck with that.

#40 11 months ago
  41. Lengendaryboss

Recalling the past makes a person blind, doesn’t it? You should really practice what you preach. Otherwise it makes you sound like a hypocrite who can’t take his own advice.

So lets get this clear people eventually (yes eventually) forgave Sony for that over two years ago and you bring it up as a defense to defend Microsoft’s backlash which was a few months ago. You need to wait two years and compare your results which aren’t really solid in the first place. But as usual keep seeing the things you want to ignoring anything that doesn’t agree with you.

#41 11 months ago
  42. Joe Musashi

@36 But everyone has already forgiven Microsoft – so sayeth MCTJim who, clearly, speaks for everyone. Including all the people that don’t agree with the blatant PR speak he spouts.

And selling out of a product = demand! The multiple stories referring to issues generating sufficient volume doesn’t mean a thing and we’re certainly not going to mention them when we’re talking about how IN DEMAND our favourite yet-to-exist product is!

And the absence of actual figures? Oh – who needs actual figures!? Like that would mean anything. I mean it’s not like there’s actual pre-order charts than could be referred to at places such as Amazon that can convey DEMAND is there? Nope. No siree. Let’s not look at those or even mention them.

Let’s just keep the spin and misinformation going and type “LOL” when we don’t have a better answer for something and hope nobody sees through it.

If I can only make 1 of a product and I sell it: BINGO! I’ve sold out! I can’t meet demand! Look how popular my product is! Everybody must love me!

There can be no possible other way of looking at that situation, can there?

JM

#42 11 months ago
  43. MCTJim

@JM I see you cannot accept when people are wrong, admit their wrong in not knowing MS’s policies, which I clearly did admit….and then you start personal attacks..nice…I’m done with you friend until you can act like decent human being…enjoy :D

edit: shame really, I used to enjoy this site..then many people, like you JM attack people personally…I will indeed pray for you.

#43 11 months ago
  44. Joe Musashi

@41 Hey, don’t look to the past. Look to the future!

I swear someone said something like that around here recently.

Some sort of smart-ass dismissal to people who were bringing details from recent history when he preferred they didn’t.

JM

#44 11 months ago
  45. Joe Musashi

@43 Cheerio.

I look forward to watching you try to save face again, the next time you backpeddle out of a discussion that your bullshit isn’t accepted in. I didn’t attack you, I attacked your bullshit and misinformation. Your attempt to spin your own moronic game and position yourself as a victim doesn’t work. Certainly from someone with a reputation for labelling everyone “Naysayer” when they don’t gulp down the latest bit of MS PR as you want them to.

Oh, and save your prayers, I don’t subscribe to your cult.

JM

#45 11 months ago
  46. MCTJim

@45 thats fine, but I will not attack you personally like you chose to do here…I will turn the other cheek

#46 11 months ago
  47. Joe Musashi

Good grief. You just can’t switch off the bullshit can you?

You’re just like Microsoft. Incapable of hearing what people say until it’s too late. Then changing your tone and pretending you’ve been that way all along.

JM

#47 11 months ago
  48. Lengendaryboss

Wasn’t Jesus a person who practiced what he preached? If you can’t do that then i don’t think you should adopt one of his quotes in this scenario and try to act like the Samaritan.

#48 11 months ago
  49. ysleiro

Why the heck are you guys personally attacking each other. You might not be trolls but you sure are trolling.

#49 11 months ago
  50. Hcw87

It’s the cool thing kids do these days.

That, and hating on Microsoft.

#50 11 months ago
  51. Lengendaryboss

Just those two, not me.

The problem is he is a person who told me to focus on future and looking back blinds me, but hes gone and linked something from two years ago, it shows he gives out advice but doesn’t take it himself. Not attacking but its something i called him out on.

#51 11 months ago
  52. DSB

Microsoft made their own mess, just like Sony did when they were asleep at the wheel and let hackers have their way with their network.

#dealwithit

#52 11 months ago
  53. ysleiro

The MS debacle is no worse than Sony’s. If anything Sony’s was worse.

Gamers are just inherently loud and forgetful when suits us.

#53 11 months ago
  54. Riseer

ROFL it came down to pre order numbers and MS had no choice but to change it’s policy’s.@53 How is Sony worse?MS has been the company you can’t trust.Sony seems to get it this time around,people like you make me wish Sony was the only console manufacture around.

#54 11 months ago
  55. fearmonkey

“Carr said he believes the changes provide evidence the company cares about its core audience.” – If MS cared, they wouldn’t have tried implementing the draconian policies to begin with.

Like the Windows 8 mess and hoopla, MS thought it could do what it wanted and the world will follow. This was probably the big execs dream and all the underlings yessed them to death, so they really thought everyone would
    just bend over and take it.

I am always amazed at the few MS fanboys or PRwannabees on here, they really liked being submissive to MS it seems.

#55 11 months ago
  56. ysleiro

@Riseer Learn to do read. Try again. I mean it. Read it over cuz u didn’t get it.

As for Sony being the only company u must not be thinking straight mate. Competition keeps companies on their toes.

As for calling me “people like you” please don’t categorize or label me.

Thanks.

#56 11 months ago
  57. torjs99

a division of microsoft ‘Lionhead’ says that microsoft is doing a great job.

any bias here?

#57 11 months ago
  58. DreadSabot

@ALL

Anyone who thinks that either Sony or Microsoft care about gamer is an idiot. These are MEGA Corporations whose only purpose to exist is to make money. You should be insulted when either of these companies claims to have some form of kinship with you.

That is on par with McDonalds saying that have concern for your health. I understand that the world are full of lemmings but please use your brain. Gamers should be of a smarter ilk.

That being said, the only thing that matters are the games and the services these companies supply that allow us to further enjoy our games. Anything more than that is just fodder for news articles such as this one.

The GMR have spoken!

(Property of Gamers Master Race – join me in my effort to make the minds of gamers pure again as I rally my forces for the gaming nirvana of 2013)

#58 11 months ago