Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows hits XBLA & Steam today

Wednesday, 28th August 2013 10:58 GMT By Dave Cook

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows has launched as part of Microsoft’s ‘Summer of Arcade’ season, and will launch on Steam later today.

Developed by Red Fly, the game costs £9.99 and comes as a 1.78 GB download. It’s the first in a series of games coming from a partnership between Nickelodeon and Activision. It’ll hit PS3 on September 24 in North America before releasing everywhere else the next again day.

We’ve got trailers featuring on each of the four turtles here. Who was your favourite as a kid?

Via CVG.

1. absolutezero

psssttt Shelter is also out at the same time on Steam. Buy that instead.

You ain’t seen me right?

#1 1 year ago
  2. melonbuster1

What no psn.. I thought it was the gamers system lol

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 Did you read beyond the headline? The PSN release date is above.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DSB

TAKE MY MONEY

@1 Pfff, Shelter doesn’t have ninja turtles dude. Game over.

#4 1 year ago
  5. TheWulf

Or, you know, you could get them both.

Shelter is a lovely thing, but it definitely isn’t for everyone. You have to have a mind open to new experiences in order to want it, it’s the sort of thing that will either pique your curiosity and slowly enthral you, or you’ll be wondering why there’s no gratuitous violence.

It’s an emotional game, as it’s hard to keep your little badger babies alive, but not actually impossible if you’re careful and smart about it. You have to ration well and play it intelligently. So it’s very much a survival game, with an unusual avatar, and mouths to feed.

I have to admit, the first time I saw one of the babies start to turn grey (the indicator of hungriness), curl up, and whimper, I did tear up. I’m a big softie, so this game hits me right in the heart muscle.

The art style is sublime, too. They did this… interesting thing, ignoring light and shadow, mostly, and just going for texture. It ends up having this lovely papercraft look to it, very pastel, very storybook too. And that belies how harsh and even tragic (if you’re not careful) of a tale it can be.

It’s brilliant, really. We’re so used to our comfort zones of nurture that even zombies and guns seem blasé, to the point where we can approach them with a cavalier attitude. I had more fear of the predators in Shelter than I’ve ever had of any zombie or game monster.

You just have to experience it, really.

This, Gone Home, Duck Tales, and Saints Row IV have made this a brilliant couple of months of gaming for me. And LEGO Marvel Super Heroes coming out soon, too. I feel spoiled.

I will say though that Shelter is a more… calm experience. More slow-paced. Definitely something to live rather than something to play, which sounds odd, but you’ll see.

Oh, and, yeah. Ninja Turtles are neat.

Sorry.