Mortal Kombat PC sales “way, way above expectations”

Monday, 12th August 2013 00:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Mortal Kombat’s Steam release has been much more successful than developer NetherRealm expected.

The news comes via series creator and studio boss Ed Boon, answering a query on Twitter as to how sales had lined up with expectations.

“WAY WAY above expectations,” he said.

The ninth and latest Mortal Kombat game is a reboot of the fighter series which launched in early 2011. It only arrived on PC in July this year, and seems to have done pretty well despite the long wait.

It’s also available on PlayStation 3, Vita and Xbox 360, and even made it to Australia after the new R18+ classification was introduced on January 1.

Thanks, PCGamesN.

1. Dark

So their expectations were pretty low. I see.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Biscuitpants

yep, shame

#2 1 year ago
  3. zinc

“I thought all pc gamers were pirates!” He added.

Simple lesson, put it on Steam & it WILL sell on pc.

#3 1 year ago
  4. bpcgos

Entertaining game, great content, and right price in a right distribution channel.
    And honestly, I bought it due to Nostalgia brought by playing MK 2 port on my NES and MK 3 ultimate on my friends Sega MD2 many years ago ( I actually beat him very often despite never played it before :D )

I guess, today, many of PC gamer who came from console that wants to enjoy a bit nostalgia like me.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

I’ll stick to my console version, thank you very much.

#5 1 year ago
  6. dsr

“Sold above expectation” shit reminds me of “preorders sold out”.
    Both mean absolutely nothing without context. Give us REAL numbers.

#6 1 year ago
  7. alterecho

I got the game the instant it released through retail (was the first person to get it, in the shop).

I installed it off the disc, kept my controller ready in hand to play it the instant it launches, but BAM! 2 GB file needs to be downloaded !!

I really am leaning towards consoles now. Steam destroyed my craving for PC. I HATE games with Steamworks.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Aullah

Dont worry netherrealm, you can only fool us once. This was the last buy… you dont care about pc and you dont support, why should we?

#8 1 year ago
  9. KTF26

it’s 2 years old game
    or may be it’s below the expectation and this
    but he said it’s above for marketing purpose

#9 1 year ago
  10. The_Red

Have it for PS3 but if they do a bigger discount or some sales special, I’d buy it again for the sake of mods and other PC stuff.

#10 1 year ago
  11. loki

What a hypocrisy. Without specific figures it’s just chatter and a failed attempt to advertise PC port. Some just can not accept that have done a great folly

#11 1 year ago
  12. SplatteredHouse

I don’t think that what he’s saying is false. He seems really emphatic about the success of MK PC (which was at, or near the top of Steam’s top sellers for weeks, even during the Summer Sale, incidentally) but, if it were BS, that would likely become apparent at the next earnings call for Warner.

I’m not sure the cynicism is warranted, here. Anyway, it’s always good when supply and demand come together like that. So, good on them – they realised a market was there, responded to it, and consumers did, in turn. :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. MrWaffles

It is on GoG.com?
    If so, I’ll definitely get it

#13 1 year ago
  14. backup

expected 0 sales got 1

pirated till death by PC pirates

#14 1 year ago
  15. TheWulf

“Pirated till death by PS3 pirates because the PS3 makes piracy so easy!”

Fixed that for you. :P