DayZ standalone dev diary outlines injury system, state of the Alpha

Saturday, 3rd August 2013 17:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DayZ has a new developer diary available which tells you all sorts of things you might like to know about the standalone version.

One thing of note Dean Hall mentioned, was that the Alpha is still far from being ready as for the time being: “until we cover off on the very basic foundations of it, there’s just nothing there to play, nothing there to really enjoy.”

While that may disappoint you, in the video you can also find out more on the new injury system, and hear developer Ivan Buchta discuss the additions of clinics and police stations to Chernarus.

You can also get a look at a multiplayer test in the video below. Screenshots of it are through the development blog, and below.

Thanks PCgamesN.

1. Stephany Nunneley

The shots are all in there now.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Uncontested

Should have just kept developing it as a mod. By the time this releases no one will care. Not even ready for ALPHA yet? Good lord they’re dragging ass.. ARMA 3′s already went from just an announcement to non release to alpha to beta in the time they’ve fucked around with Day Z.

#2 1 year ago
  3. k1llabeast

“I like being the bitch” wut

#3 1 year ago
  4. powerbuoy

@2 I agree. I’m also not impressed with them sticking with the previous engine (even though they claim it’s updated slightly). Arma3 looks SO much better than Arma 2.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Christopher Jack

Oh god,the zombies still look like slightly pale regular people and the animations are still ridiculous. I don’t mind running zombies but they still look like olympic fucking sprinters…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Phoenixblight

This game has an extremely limited budget so they don’t get the pick of the litter along with Animators typically get paid more than artists.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Christopher Jack

@6, Regardless, it remains among my biggest issues. Kills the immersion and in several cases have been the cause of friendly fire between my mates and I.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

I can imagine. I am not a huge fan of the animations either. I can’t imagine a student animator being this bad. What it seems to me is like they had one of the designers animate or artist. It is just god awful.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Uncontested

@5 & 8:

Dean Hall: “Wait we need an animator AND an artist? Fuck me. Time to be depressed again.”

#9 1 year ago
  10. PurePassion

@2 Uncontested, that is entirely false. Arma 3 has been announced in May 2011 and has been in development prior to this date.
    The DayZ standalone Alpha has been in development since August 2012, which is a very short amount of time.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Phoenixblight

Thats a year and the game is not in alpha that is dragging ass. Typical development takes 2 years. Uncontested is right they should have stuck with a mod. If Dean Hall thinks he will make some sort of money he is sorely mistaken especially with other games having same type of gameplay release. State of Decay will be out on PC within the year and from what I have played it is already the better game though lacking Multiplayer.

#11 1 year ago
  12. MaximusJaximus

Typical game development takes 2 years when a hundred or more people are working on it at once, and even then, it takes longer than that to get anything good out despite the staff size.

The team working on DayZ standalone has been working for less than a year, have less than ten people working on a game you’re foolishly expecting to be up to par with ARMA 3. In that apparently short amount of time they’ve already managed to completely overhaul the core game mechanics and turn the game into something that is beyond anything either of the DayZ Mods can do. They’ve worked their asses off trying to make a great game on their own time, and they’ve just about got it done.

If you think that you’re going to get the same experience by trying to resuscitate an already washed up and duct-taped covered version of DayZ Mod for the awkward and clunky ARMA 3 or ARMA 2 games, then you my friend are going to have a really bad time.

#12 1 year ago
  13. joshdino12

it may be taking a while but I am really excited for the release and am definitely getting it.

#13 1 year ago
  14. JPWiser

Some people are french fry’ing when they should have pizza’d…..

SA is going to be unreal can’t wait!

#14 1 year ago