Battlefield 4 vs Call of Duty: Ghosts – Riccitiello “pretty confident that EA’s got better cards”

Wednesday, 31st July 2013 20:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

John Riccitiello, former CEO at EA, feels this may be the year Battlefield finally tops the Activision juggernaut, Call of Duty.

Speaking in an interview with GI International, Riccitiello said the continues success of the Call of Duty franchise, and Activision in general will boil down to two different scenarios.

“What’s been fascinating watching Activision over the last few years is that I’ve heard that mentioned before, about them not being the company they could or should be. They’ve pulled off some notable successes,” he said. “The one thing I know most about now is Battlefield and CoD and I feel pretty confident that EA’s got better cards.

“But the last billion dollar brand created from scratch in this industry was Skylanders. Is the next billion dollar brand going to come from Activision? I don’t know. But if it does then they can sustain the loss of leadership in the field of shooters.

“There’s one scenario where they ship a new MMO, it replaces WoW, Call of Duty stays at the top of the charts, Skylanders goes from strength to strength. They do a couple of things with their licenses, everything goes fine.

“Then there’s a scenario where WoW continues to decline, Battlefield takes the mantle from CoD, Skylanders proves to be a flash in the pan and Activision proves to be a shitty company at that point.”

Battlefield 4 will be available October 29 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and will also be made available for PS4 and Xbox One once the consoles launch.

Call of Duty: Ghosts releases worldwide on November 5 for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 with PS4 and Xbox One versions landing alongside the consoles.

1. Biscuitpants

doubt it

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Hmmm didn’t they say they would dominate COD in 2011 and then later say the plan was to steal market share from Call Of Duty? unfortunately i feel they will backtrack on that statement eventually.

In terms of quality we all know COD is slipping and Battlefield is on the rise, but thats debatable.

In terms of sales unfortunately COD will win but i don’t know these are two big juggernauts FPS games.

So who will win is TBD.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

My horse is a much shiner horse than your uglier horse, because I say so.

CODG will outsell BF4.

#3 1 year ago
  4. OrbitMonkey

Somewhere on the Internet theirs bound to be a video of two old guys having a fight…

That would sum up how I think about the BF v CoD *drama*

#4 1 year ago
  5. Hcw87

If stores actually enforced the ESRB rating of games, BF 4 would have no problem beating CoD in sales. Sadly there’s also too many retarded parents around the world actually buying CoD for their kids.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dragon246

@4,
    Its not even a fight.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Phoenixblight

Dunno where you are from but stores have always asked for ID to buy rated M games. I still get carded and I am well above beyond 18. THe only reason why young kids get those games is because parents play it and don’t care or ignorant parents buying their children whatever they want.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

The rules are also enforced here in the UK: thanks to PEGI.

#8 1 year ago
  9. bradk825

Arrogance really doesn’t ever prove to be rooted in reality does it?

Has he seen the pre-order numbers thus far? Does he realize he’s not only failing to outsell CoD but also 2 other games seperate them? That he’s fourth?

Naturally sales don’t prove excellence, but I think he’s kidding himself if he thinks he’s going to topple CoD right now with Battlefield 4. If BF4 is really as good as he says it will be, and if CoD doesn’t continue to improve, then maybe BF5 will do the trick, but don’t look for Activision to go bankrupt this year.

I am just flabberghasted that this guy would try to assume Activision will turn out to be a shitty company, when they sit well on top right now and have been there for some time. They have no only been having great successes with their many franchises but they have always proven they can come up with a new one when they need to. They aren’t still making MechWarrior after-all.

I see someone presenting their business in this way, and it just doesn’t make me feel like I want to support them. Why should I buy your game when you are so full of yourself you can’t see reality for what it is? How will that produce a good game?

He reminds me of the guy who made Remember Me who seemed to see himself as the saviour of the racist, sexist, unoriginal, stubborn gaming industry. Didn’t that game turn out to be shit by the way? That’s what happens with arrogance. You don’t see your flaws, you think you’re not capable of them.

#9 1 year ago
  10. MCTJim

I miss the CoD’s of yesteryear. I loved CoD 2, MW and WaW..the rest are just meh compared to those games. Out of the BF’s, BFBC2 still stands as the best I have played multiplayer. I am not really a single player person so I cannot comment on that.

Healthy competition between companies is great and each company want to be the top seed..Gamers win!!

#10 1 year ago
  11. bradk825

PS to my earlier comment, has he ever heard of a little up-and-comer named “Destiny?”

#11 1 year ago
  12. Knight Of Justice

Battlefield franchise will never have a good story comparing with CoD.
    Because battlefield scenario is simple:
    Russia or China try to be the world greatest superpower by defeating US then US goes and fights them back.Simple isn’t it?
    But in CoD(except it’s versions during the world war),it’s always different.You will never have the same enemies from the latest version,Even in BO & BO2 or MW series.
    In addition to that,just compare the game speed between CoD and BF.CoD is always the winner:
    Larger waves and groups of enemies is the key of this prosperity in CoD.
    And the last thing is emotion;something which BF franchise does not even know what it means.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Jeftowitzen

All he is saying is that he thinks the games being developed by EA are better than the ones being developed by Activision. I kinda agree, what with Mirrors Edge 2, Star Wars: Battlefront, Battlefield 4, Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, just to name a few. Those are the biggest games for me right now anyway.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Knight Of Justice

How about Medal Of Honor: Warfighter?
    You ever mentioned that EA is collecting the most comprehensive collection of being the worst publisher for more than two consecutive years?

#14 1 year ago
  15. latsonclever

What’s the number one feature you’re hoping to see on the global ‪#‎GhostsMP‬ Reveal livestream?

Whos excited for the release of Call Of Duty Ghosts Beta?
    Or
    Like and Share this status if you think we should give away beta keys for Call Of Duty Ghosts!

#15 1 year ago