Lanning: Nintendo will be around for “100 years,” but probably not Zynga or Microsoft

Saturday, 27th July 2013 19:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Oddworld Inhabitants founder Lorne Lanning feels Nintendo has a permanent place in video games for the foreseeable future, but is unsure about Microsoft or Zynga.

Speaking with VentureBeat, Lanning said he would work with Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata “in a second,” due to the CEO’s opinion that company lay-offs damage employee morale, and developers fearing layoffs can produce sub-par games.

“When Satoru Iwata came out and said people were asking him, ‘When are you gonna lay off your development staff? ‘ I don’t remember exactly what he said, but it was basically: ‘Laying off development is not going to solve our problems. Building great games is what we do and we’re going to continue doing it.’

“When he said that, in my opinion, he was immortalized in the creative community. I would work with him in a second. When a man in that type of position, in a world where the golden rule is the rule and that’s what’s expected at public companies, he stood up and said: ‘That’s not what we’re about. We’re about building great stuff. We have great people to build great stuff. We’re gonna do that.’

“When I look at the history of Nintendo, I say,’Nintendo is gonna be here in 100 years.’ I have no doubt. I doubt Microsoft will be here in 100 years. I know Zynga won’t be here in 100 years. I’ve been here longer than Zynga.

“We’re not making headlines in the Wall Street Journal, but we’re still building what we set out to build. Now we have to be clever and smaller in how we think, but we’re more self-empowered than we’ve ever been.”

It’s a great interview from Lanning as usual, and you really should give it a read.

1. Froseidon

I can see Zynga not being around. I think saying Microsoft not being around is a bit ballsy, I mean, they’re a large company with many “essentials” as it were. Windows is on nearly every computer / laptop sold at retail. It’d be kinda hard to make that sort of thing go away. Xbox One doesn’t seem like too much of a setback, if at all. It still has a pre-order base, and I highly doubt it’ll make a loss overall. Sure, it might come in second to a PS4, but that in no way means then end for them now, or in the near future. It just seems they’re in a slump currently, I’m sure they’ll come out the other side.

On the Nintendo side, this isn’t the first time something hasn’t gotten off to a good start, I think they could weather this. They have been an established company for over 100 years already, I think they could pull another 100 off.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ps4fanboy

i am not sure if nintendo will be around for a 100 years or not but one thing is sure that Sotaru Iwata is a great leader and a remarkable executive

#2 1 year ago
  3. Alernet

Nintendo and Disney will probably be around forever. Thats what happens when you own a lot of cherished things.

#3 1 year ago
  4. MrWaffles

Nintendo might be still around in a 100 years, but in what form? Still making games? Who knows. They made cards before, son in 100 years they might be doing electric bikes.

If Microsoft’s gaming division will still be around, who knows. But I’m sure the company itself will be, it’s simply too big (and diversified) to fail, something that Nintendo isn’t. So if the videogame market crashes globally, Microsoft can still say “hey, we have a billion people using azure monthly” (in the future that is!).

What I’m trying to say is, this Lanning fella just wanted to be on some headlines, it’s an ego thing.

-Waffles

#4 1 year ago
  5. Kreion

I agree that Nintendo may very well pull out of the hardware market, or at least they may decide to focus solely on handhelds. I like Nintendo, but the Wii U is only going to be around long enough to get stomped by MS and Sony at this rate. Then I’ll pick one up dirt cheap for the next Smash bros, that’s about it. Then again it’s always possible that Nintendo could push out some more good games, but even then…they might have to bare it until they get around to making a newnew console. Who knows.

Saying Microsoft won’t be around is pretty stupid. It’s always possible that they could pull out of gaming at some point but given that it’s becoming more and more PC based…it’s somewhat moving into their home court. Either way a software company like them with very few major competitors is very unlikely to fall so hard that it can’t keep going.

Plus right now at least Microsoft is trying to get back in tough with it’s user base somewhat (after…not being) Nintendo has a habit of seemingly randomly doing good and bad things. Their company ethic may be good, but that doesn’t make them inherently better as a company. It’s all about profits after all.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Professor Zoom

Soon the Kinect 2 and the Playstation camera will be out, the Nintendo fanbase is 20-40 million so I see no reason why they’re gonna sell another 100 million systems, just because of a Smash bros. remake and Zelda remake. Wii 1 was mostly bought by fat Americans wanting to lose some weight. They failed with the Gamecube, they failed with the N64 and they’ll fail with Wii u too.

#6 1 year ago
  7. revolting

While his statement about Microsoft does seem a bit extreme at first, I think he may be speaking in the context of the games industry specifically, be it as a games or hardware producer, rather than as a business entity as a whole. And in that context, I find myself more inclined to agree with him about Microsoft, but not so much about Nintendo. Nintendo will likely continue to exist because of its Japanese market (and similarly if Microsoft does it will be because of it’s American user base), but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Nintendo stopped being significant on a global scale. But that said, they don’t have to be. As long as the home crowd is there, they will chug along, but I personally haven’t seen anything from them that even remotely appeals to me this side of 2000.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Ramn

Nintendo have already been around for more than a hundred years. They were founded in 1889.

#8 1 year ago
  9. whdsite

Hi.. I really love this wallpaper.Even i found few more best wallpapers here:

Regards,
    Hdsite

#9 1 year ago
  10. jonahfalcon

Nintendo HAS been around for 100 years, actually. They started as a card company.

Problem with Nintendo is that all it does is videogames. It has no backup.

I also might suggest we consider the source – Lanning is still butt-hurt over Oddworld.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Froseidon

@6 – “they failed with the N64″.

No they didn’t.

@10 – Yeah, that’s why I thought his Microsoft comment was ballsy.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Clupula

I think Nintendo will definitely exist in 100 years, but I think it is debatable whether or not they’ll still be making games then.

#12 1 year ago
  13. dreamcastnews

I’d be very interested to know what games would even be like in 100 years!

#13 1 year ago
  14. Puggy

I don’t know. I mean 100 years is a tough time to predict. Even 10 years is not that easy (imagine someone telling you Lucas Arts would be bought by Disney 10 years back).
    Or rather, Imagine to tell someone from 1913 about the internet, movies on demand, Free information and idea sharing, “online games”… chances are you might end up in a sanatorium on the “to be lobotomised” list due to your delusions.

So yeah, saying what might be or not be in 100 years is… hard.

#14 1 year ago
  15. bradk825

@10 that’s what I thought as soon as I read the headline. Lanning is not a fan of MS at all and he’s made that known, so of course he’s going to say things like that.

He might actually be ps3fanboy. LOL, I know that wasn’t fair, but I couldn’t resist.

#15 1 year ago