PS Vita ‘hardware sales initiatives’ hint at possible price-drop

Monday, 22nd July 2013 08:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony has promised to boost PS Vita sales through what it has called “hardware sales initiatives”, which alludes to a potential price-drop.

As part of its annual report, Sony said, “For PlayStation Vita, we aim to secure sales and profit growth through various hardware sales initiatives and the release of compelling software titles.”

While the handheld has received a price drop in Japan, it has yet to see a discount in western territories, so a possible gamescom 2013 announcement could be likely.

What do you think? Let us know below.

Thanks DualShockers.

1. polygem

i think they are damn cheap now already. i bought my second one brandnew for 170 euro with 4gb and a retail copy of lbp.
    traded in the first one because i really wasn´t that impressed with it. that changed. i love it. it´s so great for indy games like hotline miami, velocity ultra etc.
    add some great titles like the sly game,persona, soul sacrifice and you got a pretty impressive handheld.
    still think the 3ds has a much better portable, mass market strategy but the vita is really good fun.
    i hope for mc pricedrops too and bigger ones. i already upgraded to 32gb but would love to even go 64.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Ge0force

I agree with polygem. Vita price is right as it is now, but memory cards should become A LOT cheaper! My 16GB card is always full but I refuse to buy another one at those ridiculous prices. The Vita also needs some more 3rd party exclusives.

#2 9 months ago
  3. NeoSquall

@1, 2

I don’t know where you find these prices, but here in Italy the standard (only the console) Wi-Fi SKU is 190 Euros while the (few remaining) 3G SKUs are 220 Euros (discounted), the old Wi-Fi+MC+game (Blops, AC3Liberation, Most Wanted) are 190 Euros and finally the “brand new” PS Vita Mega Pack (Wi-Fi, 8GB MC and the 10 games voucher) and the Wi-Fi+8GB MC+3 months PS Plus voucher are sold at a ludicrous 255 Euros price tag.

These prices are too high, especially the latter ones, and a price drop would be most welcome.

#3 9 months ago
  4. mistermogul

Game were selling them E3 time for £150 with Uncharted but that only lasted a week and I missed it. Good deals can be found but I am still waiting on a memory card price drop. I’m not paying those inflated prices and really I want a 32Gb.

Last time I checked they were £70! **ck that!

#4 9 months ago
  5. polygem

i bought mine for 170 euros this spring via amazon…included 4gb and lbp. was the wifi version.
    you´re correct though, they are more expensive right now again. still think 199 for the ps vita mega pack is a good price. i mean, it really is solid hardware. sure, 150 euros would be better :)

#5 9 months ago
  6. NeoSquall

@5 Correct, 199 Euros for the Mega Pack would be a fine price point for the time being, pending a 175/150 deal for the Holiday season, which also happens to be the release period of the PS4 and its added features that require the Vita as a “companion hardware”.

How much is the Wii U Game Tablet now?

#6 9 months ago
  7. MrWaffles

They either have to lower the price barrier on the console or make the games and vita-cards cheaper.

At the current price, buying an iPod touch and 60 games seems like a better deal.

#7 9 months ago
  8. manamana

I had almost the same story as polygem. Now I’m very happy with the Vita and even the indie support is getting bigger.

@7 I consider myself an Apple junkie but please, don’t compare a touch only device with a ‘real’ handheld, you know with buttons and joysticks. If Apple only would get their shit together, they had already some kind of analog nubs and button peripheral which would sell like hottest chocolate cookies – but somehow they don’t. And that’s why at the moment only the 3DSXL is a better deal. Edit: depending on personal game preferences of course …

#8 9 months ago
  9. DeVitowned

Make a 4G/LTE model, drop carrier exclusivity and make it unlocked, take my money. Will never happen.

#9 9 months ago
  10. dizzygear

About damn time. They have to drop the price of memory cards as well and introduce bigger cards while their at it.

#10 9 months ago
  11. MCTJim

They should have never made those memory cards proprietary.

#11 9 months ago