Microsoft is passionate about indies, will reveal strategy “very soon”, says Lionhead

Thursday, 18th July 2013 11:24 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has remained quiet on the issue of Indie developers on Xbox One since the console was unveiled back in May, but Lionhead Studios’ creative director Gary Carr has suggested that Phil Harrison – pictured – is gearing up to unveil his strategy on the matter “very soon”, and that indies still remain important to the company.

Speaking with OXM, Carr suggested that Sony’s former worldwide studios president Harrison – who is now heading up Microsoft’s European developer relations – has plans when it comes to indies.

“Oh, I think you’ll find he’s coming,” Carr said of Harrison’s grand strategy. “His platform is very soon, don’t you worry about that.”

Carr added, “I certainly know that Microsoft want to talk at future press events about their relationships with indies. I can’t really talk about that, but they’re very passionate about building a strong relationship with indie development – indie development is the future.

“I’ve been an indie developer for 23 of my 28 year career, so I completely – there is no future to the games business without independent developers, they always will shape the industry, and the big corporations will follow,” Carr went on. “So that relationship is important.

“I don’t mind having the big players like the Sonys, the Microsofts, the Amazons. I think you need these big giants out there, they kind of hold it all together in some way, but the real driving force of the industry has always been independent development. That’s what shapes and changes and creates innovation. I think they can coexist.”

We already know that Xbox One will support Unity, and it was rumoured that Microsoft was set to announce self-publishing on the console last month, but it never happened. Could this be par tof Harrison’s master plan? Let us know what you think below.

1. EZXPSnazzyPanic

Little bit over the top here I don’t think indie games are as important as this guy is boasting.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 They absolutely are.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 +1

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

Hey like Dave said they are.

#5 1 year ago
  6. NiceFellow

Translation “we can’t believe the positive buzz Sony is getting around Indie’s – we’d better try and match it soon”

Hopefully signs of the positive influence of competition.

#6 1 year ago
  7. onlineatron

indies having to wait until 3-4 months before xbox one’s launch for microsoft to outline a strategy is kinda telling. maybe proof that they’re are not as passionate as they claim.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Belmont

Logic,Reason !!!

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

Very strange he left out Nintendo in place of Amazons, which is puzzling.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Belmont

It is strange, We are talking games and Amazon has never been about games.
    Perhaps he wanted to give that “very big corporation” impression. You know, active in a hundred things and markets.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Djoenz

Suddenly they are passionate lmao. . I can hear the xbots already say who cares a f about indies anyway. .

#11 1 year ago
  12. bradk825

Microsoft tends to play their cards too close to their chest and we’ve seen it biting them in the ass several times since the XB1 reveal. They’ll say “we have great ideas and vision on how to use products x and y” but they give ZERO details, not even something vague, so nobody is bought in to the idea based on faceless promises of great things.

For example, could DRM have involved features we will now never see? Sure.
    What are those features? Who the hell knows? They never told us.

They keep not telling anyone what is coming and being surprised when everyone is pissed off. It’s like they look at Activision’s secretive marketing plan for CoD every year and assume it’s great because of their sales. Here’s a hint: CoD sells in spite of the secretive marketing, not because of it. Everybody hates it, just tell us what’s going to be in the game already!

So for all we know this has been in the cards all along, but no one will believe that. They said absolutely nothing about it all this time, got criticized all along the way for it, and now when they announce they have an indie strategy the reaction is “yeah, sure, real passionate.”

I really want them to just come out with what they are working on for XB1 and give us the full scoop. I also hope they do the indie thing right. I don’t want XBLA market flooded with shit games because they caved on allowing just anyone to publish on there. There still needs to be a vetting process and an ability to employ parental controls effectively.

#12 1 year ago
  13. VibraniumSpork

Just a prediction here, but something tells me their approach is going to be…identical to Sony’s? ^_^

#13 1 year ago
  14. Darksider123

Lionhead can suck my D. They quite literally ruined Fable-series.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Sini

Harrison always seem to be on the losing team

#15 1 year ago
  16. MCTJim

i cannot stand all the whining about indies being able to self publish. I would never let a single developer self publish on my network a game that may or may not be flawed or worse be a security risk..No way no how never!!

#16 1 year ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

^ So your saying something that Nintendo (who i don’t recall having a security risk) and Sony do without any problems is not worthy of the whining, the indie developers who spoke out on MS inability to offer self-publishing and fans who enjoy indie experiences won’t get to enjoy because MS won’t let indies self-publish. There you understand.

“I would never let a single developer self publish on my network a game that may or may not be flawed or worse be a security risk.”

#17 1 year ago
  18. MCTJim

@17 I will have to disagree with you. All it takes is a SINGLE virus or malicious code and it can bring down your whole infrastructure. Google it..The US Gov’t had it happen with USB drives that were brand new and still in the packages. All it takes is one. And if indies wanna whine and cry you wont let me self publish on your network…well then whine away…I will keep my network safe and secure and they can go peddle their wares someplace else..like tablets and smartphones

#18 1 year ago
  19. Belmont

I think it will be like App store or something. they will check it for security and stuff.

#19 1 year ago
  20. MCTJim

@19 If there was an area where it got checked first before being given the go ahead, then i am fine with that..somewhere not connected to xbox live. Then, if compliant ,with all security measures it gets cleared to the store…that I am fine with..but just self publishing with no controls or checks in place…no, no thank you..peddle your wares to Tablets or smartphoness.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

Again “Please link to me an example of an indie developer self-publsiing and causing an security risk, the whining is justified.” because what happened with USBs and the government is not directly related to what you said “that may or may not be flawed or worse be a security risk” nor is it related to gaming.

Then i will start to agree with you because what you said at 16 doesn’t make sense.

“like tablets and smartphones” Indies games are on PCs, handhelds PS Vita/3DS and Consoles Wii U PS3 PS4, If they can host it there is no reason MS can’t either. Indies games belong on any platform they chose it to be not what a stereotypical person thinks they should be.

#21 1 year ago
  22. MCTJim

@22 I am going to say look at the whole playstation network fiasco where they were the 4th largest security hack in WORLD history. Why should I let you take that risk with my network? No one ever hacked the Playstation network beforehand did they? No…but it happened did it not..yes..so no thanks, they can whine somewhere else.

There has to be controls and if submitting it to a holding area for scrutiny and once cleared, then I am fine with that…but as it stands now there are no controls..just look at the apple store…they have a hard time locking down garbage and stuff that crashes its products…

#22 1 year ago
  23. Lengendaryboss

Oh yes because indies were behind that and not a hacker group called called Anonymous (rumoured)

Again skipping what i actually said now three times prove to me indies can cause a security crash, INDIES not hackers who aren’t indies.

#23 1 year ago
  24. MCTJim

an example of a backdoor installed by malicious software on sonys network: http://ibelieveinsmooth.com/gaming/sonys-shut-down-of-psn-no-definite-date-to-come-back/

it took down all the portable devices too…so again, we have to agree to disagree. From a Systems Engineer perspective they can whine all they want.

I am saying that I am not letting people self publish because of this..just because it has not happend, does not mean it wont. That is my entie point. And if you wanna point fingers, it was NOT anymonous..proven fact…it dealt with their Quiocity part of their system. Which is where things get stored and downloaded from. So I still say whine away..Sony lied then finally admitted they were hacked and..still sorry to say ..Not a chance

#24 1 year ago
  25. DrDamn

I don’t think you know what self publishing means here. Publishers don’t check that a dev hasn’t put anything malicious in the code (that’s up to the platform holder). The publisher will promote the game to the platform holder and public, and take a nice cut of the pie for doing it. Self publishing is about devs going to the platform holders and convincing them directly to allow them to sell their game on the network. The code they put out still has to be checked by the platform holder. It just means more money goes straight to the dev. For a small title that can be huge.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

Now you have done it four times. Ok it wasn’t anonymous but prove to me its indies.

“I would never let a single developer self publish on my network a game that may or may not be flawed or worse be a security risk”

Still waiting on an actual answer to “Please link to me an example of an indie developer self-publishing and causing an security risk” And i need to see if indies are the cause.

If you fail to come up with one, i’m calling BS.

#26 1 year ago
  27. DrDamn

Besides which why would an independent developer do something like that which is so easily traceable back to them?

#27 1 year ago
  28. G1GAHURTZ

Innocent until proven guilty…?

I like that concept!

Doesn’t seem to work with some people’s opinion of Kinect, though… Shame.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Fin

Er, I think at this point, it’s more like “given previous form of MS”.

#29 1 year ago
  30. G1GAHURTZ

^ They haven’t been caught spying on anyone through Kinect so far, have they?

Certainly nothing like this, anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

So if we stick to the innocent until proven guilty principle, no one should expect the X1 to be taking snaps of them in their undies at all…

(Note: giving info under government orders is not the same as spying for your own, internal, money making purposes)

#30 1 year ago
  31. MCTJim

@26 and you have missed the point 4 times….my whole point of the was to point out that it CAN happen..Sony never thought they could get hacked and they did..lied by denying it and then admitted it…what is to say that it cant happen..I am not willing to take the chance and be responsible for the unhinging of a secure network. and instead of letting some guy in his basement take down the network or make the device useless..not gonna happen..period..so if you cant see the point..then its pointless to continue and I cant type anymore on my cell phone…I will be happy to take it up tomorrow while at work :D

#31 1 year ago
  32. Lengendaryboss

I missed nothing you said “would never let a single developer self publish on my network a game that may or may not be flawed or worse be a security risk” and then went onto recall the PSN Hack as if it were indies and then for the fifth time i said prove to me indies are the cause of it.

PSN Hack happened because of Sony’s bad security and by a group of unidentified hackers, not indies. So that is still irrelevant to indie developers.

Yep your definitely bullshitting.

I can see your point but you can’t see mine: proof of indies being able to take down an network.

I have said link me an example which you have failed to do correctly.

#32 1 year ago
  33. DrDamn

No the point is this has nothing to do with self publishing. Self publishing is *not* allowing Indies to put stuff on the network unchecked. Its about eliminating the publisher. That is the crux of the point. Your fear has nothing to do with the concept of self publishing.

#33 1 year ago