Sony bringing PS4 and plenty of games to Comic Con 2013

Friday, 12th July 2013 21:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony is bring PS4 and plenty of games to Comic-Con 2013 and this will give attendees the chance to get their grubby, cosplay-attired hands on the new console.

Here’s what you can expect at the event:

PlayStation Booth (#301)

Diablo III
Batman: Arkham Origins

PlayStation Panels & Signings

Neil Druckmann (The Last of Us) Signing
Date: Friday, July 19th
Time: 2:00-3:00pm PST
Location: Dark Horse Booth (#2615)

Description: Neil Druckmann signing with Faith Erin Hicks for The Last of Us American Dreams in the Dark Horse Booth. Note: this is a ticketed event.

The Art of Video Games
Date: Friday, July 19th
Time: 4:00-5:00pm PST
Location: Room 7AB

Description: Quite a bit has changed since Dark Horse first published Mass Effect in 2010, as the publisher has grown this line of books to include franchises like Last of Us, Dragon Age, Bioshock, The Legend of Zelda, and most recently, HALO and Tomb Raider! From canonical comics to beautiful hardcover art books, Dark Horse has firmly established that there is life for popular gaming franchises far beyond the games themselves. Dark Horse PR director Jeremy Atkins, creators Faith Erin Hicks and Neil Druckmann (The Last of Us), and some surprise guest writers and artists offer a look at what’s to come.

Behind the Scenes with Telltale Games’ The Walking Dead Game Series
Date: Saturday, July 20th
Time: 4:00-5:00pm PST
Location: Room 23ABC

Description: Join Robert Kirkman (Creator of The Walking Dead comic series) and Telltale Game’s Dan Connors (Telltale Games, CEO) and Kevin Bruner (Telltale Games, President and CTO) as they discuss the inspiration behind developing the critically-acclaimed game series. Along with PlayStation’s Don Mesa (Director of Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA), the team will walk fans through the origins of the game, reveal details on exciting new gameplay features exclusive to PlayStation Vita and include a little sneak peek on what’s to come for next chapter of The Walking Dead game series. Q&A moderated by Greg Miller (Executive Editor, IGN).

SDCC runs Wednesday, July 17 through Sunday, July 21.

1. Zensi

Knack ? What are they thinking …..

#1 9 months ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

@1 Then @Steph
    They could be thinking of promoting their launch titles for PS4, complete madness i tell you i don’t know what brilliant stunt they will pull next oh and Steph separate and bold the PS Vita section: for a moment i thought PS4 ports were happening.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Odahviing

Knack and Driveclub, blockbusters are coming take cover

#3 9 months ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

Someone needs to help me out here: what exactly is so bad or lacklustre about Knack and Driveclub?

#4 9 months ago
  5. actuallyisnotafox

@4 nothing, knack looks like fun, same way ratchet and clank does. drive club well, a beautiful driving game.. what more could you want from a console? :p

#5 9 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

@4 Not feeling much for Drive Club, but I don’t understand the apparent bad rap Knack seems to be getting at all. It looks great.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Lahanas

I am amazed with how bland ps4′s launch lineup looks. Say what you want about Microsoft, but they have announced far more interesting games for Xbox One.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@7 Different strokes for different folks. I personally think the Xbox One’s lineup is a giant plate of blandness with bland for dessert and a side portion of super-bland just for good measure. The only game in their entire showing that even remotely piqued my interest was Project Spark.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Hcw87

For a game that’s supposed to show the ”power of the PS4”, Knack is just really lacking something. I don’t know if it’s the instantly disappearing bits of destruction (similar to Metal Gear Rising), or just overall graphical fidelity.

And when it comes to Driveclub, it doesn’t look anywhere close as good as The Crew or Forza 5. The damagephysics is like oldschool Gran Turismo where you can slam into a wall and glide through a corner. Far too arcadey.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

@5+6
    I just confused as to way they both seem to be getting mauled by some, oh well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Can’t agree and and the same-time can.
    15 for MS: http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/07/xbox-one-microsoft-promises-more-exclusives-at-gamescom-xbox-360-e3-surprise/

20 for Sony: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/24/20-games-12-new-franchises-coming-to-playstation-4-in-year-one

Whether either of the announced lineup of games is good is still to be determined.

#10 9 months ago
  11. pcbros

@4 – I played both at E3 and here are my honest thoughts.

Knack looks like fun but for me, it got boring after a while (maybe the demo didn’t include the more exciting levels). It has that Lego series feel where you just do the same moves, over and over again. There was no real challenge. Also the pacing is not fast and exciting. The graphics are good but nothing that screams next-gen. It was the ONLY game that I walked away from after 5 min of play.

Driveclub was not running at 60fps (looked more like 30fps), the controls were more arcade style and the track they demoed was dull. The game did not feel next-gen to me. I think GT6 (I played that too) was a better racing game.

Those are my impressions…

#11 9 months ago
  12. SlayerGT

@11 Is DriveClub open world?

#12 9 months ago
  13. ps3fanboy

Friday hemorrhoids look to be really flared up in here. There is more PMSing right here than on any day of The View.

#13 9 months ago
  14. xxJPRACERxx

@7 Agree 100%. Before e3 I was ready to get my pre-order for the PS4 but after e3 I pre-ordered a Xbox One.

#14 9 months ago
  15. TrickyAudio

Yeah, it seems if a game hasn’t got aliens or MP5′s in, they aren’t good enough ;)

#15 9 months ago
  16. Fethennour

Knack looks very fun, and it will be one of my very first PS4 games, I’m looking forward to it. Not that much interested in DriveClub though, I’m not really a big fan of racing games.
    @11 : Thanks for sharing your impressions.

#16 9 months ago
  17. Odahviing

I’m keen to see what games will be revealed at Gamescom.

#17 9 months ago
  18. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that the main reason I am a PS3 guy rather than a 360 guy is that the 360 games tend to focus strongly on shooters, racing games and sports sims, whereas – at least as I see it – PS3 focuses more on platformers, puzzlers and action adventure games.

Obviously both platforms carry a lot of the same games, but I feel that divide. I’m pretty sure that a lot of people will say that Titanfall is better than Knack, and I’m sure that from many different perspectives that will be true, but I would choose Knack every time. Running around shooting huge mechs DOES appeal to me, but the call of adventure and hidden rooms and power-ups is where my heart lies.

#18 9 months ago
  19. ChunkyLover112

Lol, they’re still trying to make people buy this shit?

It’s kind of amazing that a console has managed to fail before even being released. Well done sony, well done.

#19 9 months ago
  20. Sang2

#18
    You sir deserve a +1. I feel the same way.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Aullah

Knack is getting bad rep, because it was the first game that was revealed for the ps4. The first game should show the awesome graphics of the system, instead we got a childs game with silly graphics. Thats why.

This was the biggest mistake of sony since the console reveal.

#21 9 months ago
  22. backup

Sony the only one who won all gens

#22 9 months ago
  23. super3001

ps3.5 games look bad. 30 fps controller lags and uninspired.

xone launch games are much better

#23 9 months ago
  24. backup

1 year headstart and still losing to PS3 loooooool

#24 9 months ago
  25. Christopher Jack

@23, How is it the PS3.5? What specifically grants the Xbox One next gen status but not the PS4?

#25 9 months ago
  26. loci

The reason Knack is a launch title is (as they explained) because they want to showcase diversity rather than just more shooters.
    As for a lack of titles shown at E3, they have said they are holding title reveals back, for Gamescom etc.
    Microsoft have already shot their load…Sony are still on the foreplay ~_~

#26 9 months ago
  27. Aullah

@26 They should start it with deep down even if its a demo only.

#27 9 months ago
  28. Lengendaryboss

I honestly think certain people has lost their marbles.

@19 i’ll start with xbox fanboy: i honestly hope that “LOL” was just laughing at yourself because like most fanboys what you speak of has no proof.

@21 That doesn’t even make any sense. This also applies to @24 in a different sense.
    “It was pretty intentional. We were like yeah we hate to see all the PS4 games being FPS or action-adventure or very photorealistic, you know big-budget blockbuster games. And you know people like these games, but these are not the only kinds of games that people can have fun with.”
    So god forbid Sony should cater heavily to one audience at first and not the other.

Troll elsewhere you annoying Xbox fanboy, you speak with opinions not facts.

#28 9 months ago
  29. Aullah

@28 By mistake, I mean BAD MOVE.

#29 9 months ago
  30. backup

This also applies to @28 in a different sense u know wat
    PC gamers are pirates and PC gaming is dead only RTS lol

#30 9 months ago
  31. pcbros

@12 – The demo didn’t seem open world. But I haven’t looked up any info on Drive Club.

They will have a free version, so there will be no risk in trying it.

@26 – Nothing wrong with diversity. But it could have been a better showcase title. The gameplay, graphics and challenge could have been beefed up. The game at this point does not scream, “you need to buy a PS4!”.

My problem with games like Knack and the Lego Series is that, in my opinion, they do not stack up well with Nintendo’s platformers in terms of gameplay and challenge. I feel a lot more creativity goes into Nintendo’s offerings in terms of level design.

I feel like games like Knack are meant so that an 8 year old can beat it without much trouble. Which is ok but for me, it’s boring.

But things could change after the official release. Maybe it’s better than what was showed.

#31 9 months ago
  32. Lengendaryboss

Ok. Edit: Never mind Sony troll/fanboy.

#32 9 months ago
  33. Reddpayn

If games run at 30 fps on ps4 then they will be like 26 fps on xbone cause it has worse specs

#33 9 months ago
  34. Aullah

@32. Im neither a troll, nor a fanboy. I dont have any console, im pc only… but I still think that starting the lineup with Knack is a bad move.

#34 9 months ago
  35. Lengendaryboss

No that was meant for backup, not sure what happened to the number 30 i wrote in there.

Edit: Speak of the devil :)

#35 9 months ago
  36. backup

Ok. Edit: Never mind PC pirate troll/fanboy

#36 9 months ago
  37. Christopher Jack

@36, You have no issues calling anyone else out but have you ever looked at yourself. Frankly if I made the choices around here ps3fanboy, super3001 & yourself would be gone by now. I don’t mind personal preferences, I personally prefer PC>PS4>XB1>PS3>PSV>X360>WiiU>3DS, but I don’t need to bring that up every topic & harass those who share different views. Nor make ridiculous claims that PC is dying & those that remain are pirates, I think the current Steam sales beg to differ, currently over 4.5million users with a peak of close to 5million today.

#37 9 months ago
  38. backup

i don’t have his cell number jack :P

Frankly if I made the choices around here Christopher Jack would be gone by now.

but PC gamers are pirates is fact just look at torrent sites

#38 9 months ago
  39. Lengendaryboss

Good god copying and editing people’s words thats a new one.

#39 9 months ago
  40. Christopher Jack

I didn’t deny that I had preferences, in fact I just listed them. But I don’t go around shouting stereotypes like a 4 year old. All console gamers are dumb, all Nintendo gamers are kids & all PC gamers are virgins, shit like that doesn’t belong here.

#40 9 months ago
  41. backup

butthurt ?

see i did it again :P

Good Lengendaryboss copying and editing people’s words that’s a new one.

#41 9 months ago
  42. pcbros

@33 – That’s why Forza looks better and runs at 60 fps :P

You have no clue what the systems are really capable of. We will see the true power of both systems after launch.

Let’s not forget all the hype that surrounded the almighty Cell processor. In the end, there was no visible difference in graphical power.

#42 9 months ago
  43. SlayerGT

@42 At E3 there weren’t attendants standing there telling you about DriveClub?

#43 9 months ago
  44. pcbros

@43 – They had a booth that was divided into two sides (teams). When it was your turn to try the game, they just told you where to go and mentioned that if you post a tweet on their tablet, you get a shirt and key-chain (which I have).

So I just basically took my seet, they took my picture with the PS Camera I believe and I began racing on my own. No info at all was provided.

But then again, most playable demos (except for Nintendo’s) were left up to you to explore, unless you specifically called over a rep and asked a question.

#44 9 months ago
  45. SlayerGT

@44 well good job securing info! ;) I kid. No really thanks for the input. I just automatically assumed it was open world..idk why. But yeah I’m getting Plus as soon as my Live runs out on the 24th. So I’ll check it out I guess. So far no one seems up on it but me.

#45 9 months ago
  46. pcbros

@45 – Actually, the most informative demos were the ones where 20-30 people were invited into a small room and a developer played a live demo while explaining what was going on.

I had the pleasure to attend developer demos for Titanfall, Killzone, Infamous, Watchdogs, Garden Warfare, Battlefield 4, and Forza 5.

I actually played: Killer Instinct, Forza 5, DriveClub, Knack, Battlefield 4, Splinter Cell, Mario 3D, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country and Gran Turismo 6.

So I felt I left with a good overview of what’s to come :)

As far as the lack-luster excitement for DriveClub, I think it’s because racing games usually don’t draw in a lot of excitement to begin with. So you either have car fanatics that drool over the realism Forza and Gran Turismo bring or you have the people who want fast, exciting racing games… and those people will gravitate towards Need for Speed. I think DriveClub is just getting a little lost in the mix. It’s neither a realistic sim or an over-the-top racer.

#46 9 months ago
  47. SlayerGT

@46 I think they should have teamed Evo up with Polyphony and made an open world street racing game using GT tech. Same everything except open world instead of tracks and casual clothes instead of racing suits. I mean you figure how well GT sells, take the idea of Forza Horizon but go full sim like GT. I would love such a game. And then throw motorcycles in for good measure :D

So you didn’t get to try The Crew? That’s another I’m curious about.

#47 9 months ago
  48. Lengendaryboss

@Slayer
    They tried: won’t happen
    “The new racer is said to play in a manner similar to Project Gotham Racing. The team wanted to label it a Gran Turismo title, according to the site, but Sony Japan didn’t approve. Even without the Gran Turismo name, however, the studio are supposedly referring to the game internally as Europe’s biggest racer in the past decade.”

#48 9 months ago
  49. pcbros

@47 – I didn’t get to see The Crew :(

E3 is divided into two main buildings. One building had Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. This building had reasonable wait times to see and play games.

The other had mainly 3rd-party developers like Ubisoft, EA, Sega, and Activision. That building was packed! Every game had roughly a +2 hour wait. So it was really hard to see everything. Good thing Sony had a few Ubisoft games in their booth (I only had to wait around 15-20 min to see Watchdogs vs over two hours to see the same game at the Ubisoft booth).

But I agree, an open-world racing game with realistic sim physics would be fun. Test Drive and Forza Horizon have sort of done it.

#49 9 months ago