Microsoft Surface prices to tumble by $150

Friday, 12th July 2013 01:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If you’ve been thinking about some sort of new, low-powered PC – and right now, who isn’t – you may want to hold off a bit; Microsoft is due to slash the price of its Surface tablets, which can run an increasing number of PC games. News of the imminent price cuts first came from anonymous sources speaking to The Verge, but was later confirmed by Staples. The new prices range from $350 for a 32GB Surface RT to $550 for 64GB model with Touch Cover, and come into effect on July 14.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Bam007

I wouldn’t mind a Tablet from Microsoft, but when you look at something like Apple and the iPad, all you see and can think about is the number of apps which appeal to you.

At one stage I had a Windows Phone and when I saw Angry Birds would of cost me more on a WP than an iOS. That also stops me from buying a Tablet from Microsoft.

#1 1 year ago
  2. MCTJim

Wish I knew about the cut 2 months ago. We just bought 5.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DarkElfa

@2 Earlier adopters get screwed by the worm man.

#3 1 year ago
  4. mistermogul

If you get one of these you need the 64gb as I heard the system OS takes up about 20gb or something, leaving you with very little storage on a 32gb.

Personally I’m happy with my iPad 2 which I’ll probably be upgrading to an iPad 5 later in the year.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Maruyama

The Surface RT (which has received the price cut) is no gaming PC. It isn’t compatible with traditional Win32-based Windows software, so cannot and never will run “an increasing number of PC games”.

It’s an ARM-based machine that only runs app software from the Windows app store, the paucity of which still makes this machine a tough sell.

You’re probably referring to the Surface Pro, which is a great little tablet/notebook hybrid, yet sadly still retails for £800. As far as I know, that’s not received a price cut.

#5 1 year ago