DualShock 4 light bar cannot be switched off

Monday, 8th July 2013 06:00 GMT By Brenna Hillier

You won’t be able to disable the glowing panel on top of the PlayStation 4′s control pad, the DualShock 4.

Responding to a query on Twitter, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said players won’t be able to switch off the DualShock 4′s light bar.

The bar is used with the PlayStation Camera to detect motion controls, and can change colour at the developer’s whim, as with Killzone: Shadow Fall’s health status. It’s not clear whether developers will be able to switch the light off; you’d think horror games might make use of such a feature.

Hopefully the always-on light it won’t reflect too badly off your TV screen, or drain the controller’s battery too quickly.

Developers seem very keen on the PlayStation 4′s control pad; maybe the DualShock 4 will be the first to gain ground in the ongoing battle against the Xbox family’s offerings. You can get a good look at it in this video.

The PlayStation 4 is still undated but due at the end of the year for $399.

Thanks, That VideoGame Blog.

1. ejams

I never actually considered the light reflection as a factor… if it does reflect off the telly then that could be quite annoying. Please don’t let it be that annoying.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Lazuliv

If it becomes a problem I’ll just put tape over it lol.

#2 9 months ago
  3. xxJPRACERxx

I don’t need this stupid shit. I already posted a while back that the small red LED on the DS3 reflect on my TV in dark scenes, imagine how this shit will reflect!

edit: @2, yes, that’s what I’ll do!

#3 9 months ago
  4. Brenna Hillier

I bet it takes about a week before somebody starts making little clip on covers and charging for them. There’s a whole new iPhone cover industry waiting to happen.

#4 9 months ago
  5. wildBoar

It’s already been confirmed it barely drains the battery at all. I can’t imagine how it would reflect though, if you’ve got curtains you should be fine..

#5 9 months ago
  6. Bomba Luigi

That Light looks like a Pain in the Ass. Maybe I’m wrong and have to experience myself first, but for now I see it as a Pain in the Ass. I just can’t imagine that such a glowy thing wont be.

But I will find a Way to make it dark.

#6 9 months ago
  7. MrWaffles

I’m guessing it’ll dim itself automatically if it’s pitch dark, just enough to be detected, but not so bright that you can’t play.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Eregol

@8 What? It comes WITH a headset that plugs into the bottom of the controller.
    All I want to know is if my Pulse headset will be compatible.

#8 9 months ago
  9. DrDamn

It’s spam. The website owner keeps posting their crap here for the hits.

#9 9 months ago
  10. machy

@10 i was about to say that lol

#10 9 months ago
  11. junguler

x1 controller is a piece of shit and does nothing new from 7 years old x360 controller
    but in the other hand i think this ds4 is having too much new stuff
    i don’t like the touchpad thing and this light bar, makes me want to vommit
    one designer is too lazy to do anything and the other adds too much shit we don’t even need

#11 9 months ago
  12. For Blood

#12 9 months ago
  13. MidlifeAxe

Stop this madness! Spam them on twitter the the #AlwaysOnLight hashtag!

#13 9 months ago
  14. Clupula

Eh, the light never bothered me on my Move when I played Dead Space: Extraction, so I don’t think it’s going to be that big of a deal.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Genesis1295

this isn’t much of a big deal and I personally feel that it will add a new dimension to playing games but i’d still preferably have a xbox 1 controller never could adjust to the PS3 controller as much as i’ve admired to the xbox controller and the x1 controller looks sweet (as a fan of both consoles)

#15 9 months ago
  16. Lengendaryboss

Actually a good idea LOL :)

#16 9 months ago
  17. ChunkyLover112

Lol, this shit is one big joke. How about they take their heads out of their asses and make decent controller.

But… Who can blame them? It’s Sony. They can’t make anything good – at all.

#17 9 months ago
  18. merrc

It just doesn’t seem like it would cause a reflection on a television. First of all, all hdtvs have a sort of matte finish, secondly it looks as though the light bar has slight curve downward. I can’t imagine anyone actually pointing the thing directly at the television and it interfere with what’s on screen.

#18 9 months ago
  19. GwynbleiddiuM

@18 Can’t believe there are 111 ChunkyLovers out there but you’re most certainly the worst of them.

Anywho, what’s the point of the glow if PS4′s eye is being sold seperately and not part of the bundle, or is it?

#19 9 months ago
  20. BrahManDude

depends on how bright it is

#20 9 months ago
  21. Yoshi

The fact that journalists are using the words “always-on” for this piece of news makes me sick. Clearly just trying to grab attention/clicks

#21 9 months ago
  22. kingy

I’m shore Sony checked it out before putting it on the pad if it shined off your tv ,I think it would be the first check on the list

#22 9 months ago
  23. TheBlackHole

So why is no-one complaining that Sony will be tracking your movements :)

#23 9 months ago
  24. MCTJim

@24 because its not an XBox One that is why none of the fanboys are complaining.

#24 9 months ago
  25. pcbros

The light being on constantly is the controller’s way of saying, “Where is the PS Camera what was supposed to be shipped with the PS4?!”

@12 “x1 controller is a piece of sh!t and does nothing new from 7 years old x360 controller”

Why don’t you tell us what you would change? The 360 control was near perfect IMHO, except for the battery pack in the back… it’s gone now.

#25 9 months ago