Nintendo to announce secret “brand-new types of games” for Wii U soon

Friday, 5th July 2013 20:51 GMT By Phil Owen

Nintendo didn’t really have much in the way of surprises at E3, and that’s because, as Satoru Iwata says, they wanted to focus on the “video game fans that are eager for information on so-called traditional games” at the show. But they have more in store for this year than just the stuff they discussed at June’s Nintendo Direct, including “new types of games.”

In a meeting with investors recently, Iwata discussed these secret games and explained why they haven’t talked about them yet. “When it comes to brand-new types of games, we have to announce them not too far in advance of the actual release dates in order to have a strong impact in the market and minimize the chance of others introducing similar or competing products. We are working on new types of games, but we would like to announce them much closer to their actual release timings for this reason.

“When it comes to Wii, as ‘Wii Sports’ spread throughout the world at a sensational speed, some misunderstood that all Wii could do is enable them to play games by moving the Wii Remote. With Wii U, therefore, we planned to satisfy existing video game fans first and provide new surprises later.”

Iwata makes it clear that some of these games he’s talking about will be released within the next year or so. But what could they be? Hmmmmmmm.

Meanwhile, in the same talk with investors, Iwata discussed the absence of the vitality sensor.

1. pcbros

Hopefully it’s game types that are only possible with the gamepad and are truly innovative.

I do like how you can use the gamepad to look around a world by actually moving it around.

#1 1 year ago
  2. neural

“we planned to satisfy existing video game fans first”? Really, Nintendo?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Christopher Jack

Lemme guess, a Mario of Duty FPS, a Mario: Turtle War RTS and a Grand Theft Mario, perhaps with a Zelda Kart racer.

#3 1 year ago
  4. spazman

this guy my must be sweating it, he thought he could simply open a box; and all would be well in the land of we have cash in the bank lets make a cost effective console that will still make profit with worst case scenario minimal market share. Guess what; north end rd has got more market share. Get ur nintendo, get ur nintendos here, two for a pound, come on ladies I’m giving them away. New games, my ass, tantamount to giving water to a dead horse.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Ireland Michael

Won’t lie, it certainly has my interest piqued.

Its hard to deny that the DS and its duel screen approach brought some great innovation to the table. There is little reason the Wii U can’t do the same, as long as the developers can be creative enough with ideas. That’s much harder to do when you have the kind if budgets usually tided to triple AAA, HD releases though.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ChunkyLover112

Sounds very interesting. Can’t wait for more details…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Sini

wii music 4u

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

This is exactly the same type of talk he made before they announced Wii Music and Wii Fit.

So, I expect something that isn’t really a game, tailored to the tastes of soccer moms and the elderly.

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

Is it Battle Tag? I bet it’s Battle Tag. Nintendo doesn’t make video games, they pay other companies to make video games then hesitate to let people buy them.

And yeah, he’s very blatantly saying that whatever they come out with isn’t going to count as video games, just another gimmick that people are now smart enough to see through.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Francis O

Wii fit has sold well over 20 million units and is a good game, helped me lose 35 pounds when i was in college. I hope they introduce something thats as innovative and sells as much as wii fit.

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

@8 / 9

Maybe, but why in the name of hades would you ever want to stunt people trying something new?

How are your next gen boners going? Have you switched from ‘semi’ to ‘hard on’ yet?

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

Oh the people in the comment section seem cynical or defensive towards Nintendo’s supposed “new types of games.” I can’t really blame both sides as i see why they think like that.

But the comment for me that sticks out is “next gen boners” by Monkey: puts various creepy images in my head, oh the nightmares :D

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

In all jest, the Wii U (which I already enjoyed), is rapidly becoming a fine gaming system.

This is regardless of what type of games you like… It’s really getting some classic and unique releases. I hope people give it a whirl if they are into gaming.

IMO Zombie U is worth the asking price, Pikmin 3 will be the icing on the cake! ;)

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@13 The Wii U for is starting to remind me of how I felt about my Dreamcast.

Criminally underappreciated, but possessing so many genuinely brilliant games that its impossible not to love it to pieces.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Professor Zoom

They always say this, they failed to do this with the old Wii, the GameCube and the N64 too, every year people wonder where the games and the brand new ideas and innovations are, and right now, the Wii U can be considered nothing but a Nintendo delivery system, they are milking outdated franchises with it, it has last generation criterias, it lacks a huge amount of games, practically all the third parties have abandoned it and it has a poor online service. It will have very little to play this summer and the christmas. I’m glad Microsoft took Rare Ltd. from Nintendo, let’s hope they can take Starfox and Matroid too, because as it looks like right now, the game lineup for Nintendo’s consoles looks like a disaster. People only have a certain amount of money they can use to buy a console, and people aren’t gonna buy Wii U just to play outdated franchises, people want something new.

#15 1 year ago
  16. monkeygourmet

This is very true. And, even if it doesn’t achieve lofty heights, it won’t put Nintendo out of business (hopefully).

It’s gathering a huge amount of exclusives from all genres, and the entry price is getting pretty damn good, you can pick up a premium for £170 if you shop around.

What with X, Bayonetta, Pikmin etc… Plus the fact it’s not completly advertisement driven, it’s a great choice of console. Have ou to one yet Mike? I think you would love Miiverse too…

I can’t wait for Zombie U 2, Fatal Frame (love horror games) and all the other potential announcements! :)

#16 1 year ago
  17. monkeygourmet

You don’t really understand this at all, do you?

Nintendo games and franchises consistently score highly in people’s thoughts and reviews… They know how to create quality playability and adaptive franchises.

Just look at the thread they weave through their IP’s… Then compare that to anyone else…

#17 1 year ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@16 Not yet, but my friend has one and I’ve been playing it a tonne. I’ll be picking one up as soon as they release one with a larger HDD… unless its like the PS3 where you can switch them out for standard ones?

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

You can’t swap them, but you can just add a USB drive up to 3tb I think! :) a little more ‘unsightly’, but it’s totally possible.

I have a 32gb model and its only just got full up, I’m about to add the USB drive to boost the storage.

Pikmin 3 is the ideal time to get involved IMO! You can also pick up older games like Zombie U dirt cheap! ;)

#19 1 year ago
  20. Digital Bamboo

@15 I have to disagree on at least two points. First, that “[Wii U] will have very little to play this summer and [at] Christmas” http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/wii-u?sortBy=popularity&sortOrder=desc&time=6m

Second, that “Wii U” has last generation criterias”

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here, the next gen hasn’t arrived yet. If anything, the U has CURRENT gen “criterias” (to borrow your word), or slightly better.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Clupula

@20 – Yeah, but next gen comes current gen this year and the Wii U is on par with the PS3/360, so it’s soon-to-be-last-gen, really.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Clupula

@11 – Oh, I’m not saying that they shouldn’t make those products. I’m just saying people shouldn’t get excited if they’re expecting something awesome.

I don’t believe any games should go unmade. I hate racing games. I hate sports games. I would never say Forza and Gran Turismo shouldn’t exist. Same with 95% of first person shooters. Hate them. But if people wanna buy them, that’s up to them.

I can see the benefits of Wii Fit. Hell, I actually use the Sports Champion thing that came with the Move, because the table tennis thing and gladiator battles are good workouts. I wouldn’t get excited about that type of game, though and I’m just telling people to temper their excitement a little.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Professor Zoom

@20 It’s less powerful than a 360 and PS3, it has no Blu Ray, no decent graphics and practically all the major third parties have abandoned it. EA, THQ, Activision, Rockstar, Bethsoft you name it. If you’re an adult who likes to play shoothers, games with violence, decent online service, decent controls and decent gameplay, then you would be very disappointed if you bought a Wii U for that. They even still make outdated 2D platformers on their home console (instead of handheld) and charge full price. Wonderful 101 looks like a PS2 game.

#23 1 year ago
  24. salarta

@11: Trying something new is a good thing. Putting out gimmicks, things that look flashy and impressive but amount to nothing meaningful, is not. Every dollar sunk into something that’s merely a gimmick is another dollar that could have gone to enhancing and advancing something with actual value. Creating a chainsaw that can also tweet about how you just cut down that huge ass tree in your back yard isn’t a very good direction for the development of chainsaws when that money could have gone toward improving the design to last longer and work more efficiently.

First we had the Wii, then the 3DS and the Wii U. Each of these came with some new feature, but they’re features that we’ve seen don’t amount to much. The Wii had motion controls that ultimately worked poorly for any company that wasn’t Nintendo, and all it really spawned was a sea of shovelware. Then we had the 3DS, offering 3D imagery but hardly using it in any meaningful way. And then the Wii U, a controller with a screen on it, where every game I’ve seen so far using it does what was better done on the TV screen or not at all.

Ultimately, the actual content released for the tech tells the story, and that content shows Nintendo to be obsessed with gimmicks. Most likely because they’ve done some kind of corporate comparison of their abilities to Sony and Microsoft and deduced that they couldn’t hope to compete with them for graphics or for online capabilities, so they’ve settled on coming up with gimmicks to dupe people into buying Nintendo stuff under the belief that they’re supporting innovation.

I say this as someone that owns a Wii and a 3DS, and has learned from both that buying a Wii U before they actually have at least five games I actually want to play on their console in my country is a terrible idea. If Nintendo wants to innovate then cool, I’m happy to support attempts at innovation, that’s why I backed Omni. But what Nintendo’s doing doesn’t look like that to me anymore.

EDIT: For the record, here’s my list of games that will lead to me buying a Wii U, if all of them actually get released where I live and not held back by assumptions of what consumers will buy.

Bayonetta 2
    X
    Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (big maybe on this one)
    The next Legend of Zelda game (depends what it’s like)
    The next Metroid game (depends what it’s like)
    Super Smash Bros.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Unknown_Gamer

Someone save Fatal Frame Franchise from this selfish company
    Any 3rd party company please for the sake of the franchise
    DO THAT NOW !

#25 1 year ago
  26. ps3fanboy

since ninty have been holding back, i expected this. now we are in for some really awesome games reveals. this will for sure be the turn around for ninty we all have waited for…

my wii-utanic is ready :D

#26 1 year ago
  27. Lengendaryboss

THQ is dead :( (even when they were still alive they were there at launch with Darksiders) replace it with Deep Sliver, Activision is still releasing The Angry Birds Trilogy and Skylanders on Wii U, EA just ain’t releasing as much as PS4 and Xbox One but there aren’t many announcements from them so… The rest of them i can’t blame them. But its still ATM being supported by Ubisoft and Warner Bros.

It doesn’t have third party support that the hardcore/football fans want: GTA, COD, Battlefield, FIFA, Madden, Skyrim, MGS, RDR, Max Payne, PES and much more.

#27 1 year ago
  28. pcbros

@23 – “decent controls and decent gameplay”

Really? Nintendo games have some of the best controls and gameplay. As far as games, it’s all preference. The Vita has better graphics and is tailored to hardcore gamers… yet, most people own a 3DS instead.

Most of the Top 5 and Top 10′s from E3 attendees had a Nintendo title (Mario Kart and Mario 3D being the frequent ones) in it. People like Nintendo games, just like people like going to Disney World :) There is just something special about their games.

“Wonderful 101 looks like a PS2 game”

I saw it in person at E3. It plays and looks great. I actually like it better than Knack for PS4. Knack was the only game I played and literally walked away from halfway… redundant and boring gameplay.

#28 1 year ago
  29. AmiralPatate

Meanwhile, the Wii still sells more unit than Wii U. They don’t need new types of games, they need games, all of them.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Maabren

BS, can’t have a strong impact in the market as only ca 3,2 million bought Wii U and almost nobody buy this overpriced last gen console at the moment. Don’t make sence at all. Wii U ain’t Wii. All those who bought Wii will not be fooled again. If they need something new collecting dust anywhere, most of them buy art.

#30 1 year ago
  31. monkeygourmet

So…. Say the Wii U ends up with 20 – 30 or so classic exclusives (it’s well on the way to that), are you, as a gamer, going to ignore it still?

What is the purpose of that attitude?

It sounds like a fanboy child cutting off his nose to spite his face.

#31 1 year ago
  32. pcbros

It’s all about the games. The Wii U still does not have a must-by game yet. When it comes out, all will be good in Wii U land.

The 3DS had a horrible start. Then along came Mario 3D Land and… *POOF*… all was good.

It just takes a strategic price drop and the right game(s) to get things going. I have no doubt games like Mario 3D and Smash Bros will bring people in.

And I like how you can watch TV with your family, friends, or spouse while still being able to continue gaming on the pad.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Professor Zoom

#32 You don’t have the games at all and you must be massively deluded if you think that all the great and major franchoses always have been on Nintendo’s consoles and the 2013 lineup on Nintendo’s games is very weak, that’s why they had no conference on E3 and will not on TGS and Gamescom, to dodge the critiscm of their long term milked games. Let’s hope Nintendo can become a third party developer next generation.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Clupula

@31 – It’s on its way to 20 or 30 classic exclusives? I guess if you count every single Nintendo first party title as a classic, then yes. But personally, I only see 2 games that look even remotely interesting for the system. There’s a third because of one half of the franchises in the crossover it represents, but I haven’t seen a single screen from that one (Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem).

And even with those other two titles that look interesting, there isn’t a single title I’d call a classic. Hell, most systems don’t get more than 10 titles throughout their lifetimes that could be considered classic, and you’re suddenly putting that title on crap like Nintendoland and New Super Mario Brothers U.

#34 1 year ago
  35. pcbros

@32 “You don’t have the games at all and you must be massively deluded if you think that all the great and major franchoses always have been on Nintendo’s consoles”

When did I even say anything close to this? I said, their games sell systems. *When* a must buy Nintendo title emerges, people will start buying the Wii U. For example, if Smash Bros (which Sony ripped off with Battle Royale) lives up to the hype and a new Zelda game is introduced… you don’t think people will buy the Wii U?

Don’t forget, I did also mention a price cut is needed.

*** “…to dodge the critiscm of their long term milked games”

So Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, God of War, Killzone, etc. are not milked franchises?

The FPS genre in general has been milked for years. Yet people still keep eating them up.

Most of the BIG sellers are franchises that have been almost the same with just a prettier paint jobs and some minor changes. You will see a handful of new IPs that sell really well but the majority are franchises that have been redone many times over.

Btw, isn’t the PS4 just a PS3 with better graphics? There is nothing new. So what does the “next-gen” bring to the table besides better graphics? I guess, Microsoft, has some Kinect features and TV… but in the end, it’s really all about better visuals.

Atleast Nintendo tries to bring something new to the table (not always succeeding in some people’s eyes).

Brief Nintendo history:

1. D-Pad – NES
    2. Shoulder buttons – SNES
    3. Analog stick – N64
    4. Dual screen – DS
    5. Touch screen – DS
    6. 3D Visuals – 3DS
    7. Motion Controls – Wii
    8. Gamepad with HD Screen – Wii U

Hardware wise, what has the competition introduced to gaming?

I’m not saying Nintendo is the best. But you have to give them credit for what they do and try to do. Whether they cater to *your* taste, is a different story.

*** “Let’s hope Nintendo can become a third party developer next generation.”

Didn’t you just say they milk their franchises and now you say you want them making games for the PS4/XB1? If their “milked” games are their doom, how would being a software only company help?

Looks like someone wants to play Nintendo games but can’t afford a PS4/XB1 and a Wii U :P

#35 1 year ago
  36. Professor Zoom

Don’t be an idiot. There’s been more Mario games than all those franchises combined. FPS is not a franchise, it’s a genre of games and it’s not near as old a genre as Mario bros. or dk country which are 2D platformers Nintendo still charge full price for. Nintendo don’t have anything new and innovative to contribute to the games industry with and their console it very weak in third parties, so they should become a third party publisher instead. Whether the PS4 have better graphics or not is too early to say, since games to consoles usually get utilized to their utmost in the late period of their times.

If you wanna talk about Call of duty and Halo being milked then you’d have to go to a an article about those and say it there, but when Call of Duty has been out for 33 years without new innovations or anything else new, then you can start talking about it being milked, but right now Mario is the most important franchise that needs to be stopped. Madden have been out 33 years and the difference it huge between the first and last game, unlike Mario which is the same thing every single time.

#36 1 year ago
  37. pcbros

@36 – “Nintendo don’t have anything new and innovative to contribute to the games industry”

That’s a personal opinion. You can argue that Sony and Microsoft aren’t bringing anything new and innovative. You call better graphics new and innovative? Same game types… FPS, third-person shooters, racing etc.

I also named at least eight innovations Nintendo has contributed over the years to console gaming (hardware speaking). Where is your list of Sony or Microsoft innovations?

“Whether the PS4 have better graphics or not is too early to say, since games to consoles usually get utilized to their utmost in the late period of their times.”

Do you live in a cave? You honestly don’t know if the PS4 games shown so far have better graphics than current PS3 games? It’s pretty clear the PS4 is more powerful than the PS3.

“Mario is the most important franchise that needs to be stopped. Madden have been out 33 years and the difference it huge between the first and last game, unlike Mario which is the same thing every single time.”

Mario needs to be stopped? Yet it’s one of their biggest selling franchises. Yeah, smart move. You obviously have no business sense.

So the original Mario for the NES is just like Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy? They look and play totally different.

Yet in your eyes, Madden games are constantly changing and evolving? lol

Madden started as a top-view football game where you select plays. It’s currently a top-view football game where you select plays. The evolution is amazing! :P

“they should become a third party publisher instead”

Why do you keep insisting they become a third party publisher if their games have been milked and over done?

You make no sense.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Professor Zoom

You were the one saying PS4 is the same as PS3…

For instance games like Mindjack, Fallout 3, Rage, Alan Wake, Crysis, Gears of War 3, Saints Row, Bioshock, Elder Scrolls and Dead Space were all new and innovative, none of these games ever came to Nintendo’s console.

Do you call Nintendo’s console new and innovative? What about decent online service, decent graphics, online co-op and decent third party support, did they ever have any of this? Nintendo practically still operates like it’s 1990, if Mario galaxy and Mario 64 was new and innovative, then why didn’t they quit making 2D platformers and charge full price? Kirby wii, dk country, New super Mario bros wii, New super Mario bros wii 2, New super Mario bros wii U and new Luigi bros wii u. Jesus christ, how many damn times can you call it new?

#38 1 year ago
  39. pcbros

@38 – “You were the one saying PS4 is the same as PS3″

I said the PS4 is just like the PS3 with BETTER graphics. Read.

### “Graphics, gameplay and story are some of the most important criterias in a game, Nintendo’s games don’t have any of this.”

Mario Kart 8 has great graphics and gameplay. Zelda games have great graphics, gameplay AND story. Don’t be a troll.

### “Mindjack, Fallout 3, Rage, Alan Wake, Crysis, Gears of War 3, Saints Row, Bioshock, Elder Scrolls and Dead Space were all new and innovative”

What was so innovative and new about Crysis, Gears of War 3, Saints Row and Dead Space? Crysis is just another FPS, Gears of War is just another 3rd-person action game, Saints Row is just an over the top Gran Theft Auto and Dead Space is another horror survival game like Resident Evil.

Those might be great games… but NEW and INNOVATIVE?

### “Do you call Nintendo’s console new and innovative? What about decent online service, decent graphics, online co-op and decent third party support, did they ever have any of this?”

What’s innovative and new about having an online service and online co-op? I personally would like those see those features but they have been around for years.

Nintendo’s approach to gaming is DIFFERENT from the competition. Many may not like it, but that’s their view. While Sony and Microsoft focus on better graphics and online. Nintendo is trying to keep family and friends close.

I remember when my friends would come over to play games but now, everyone plays alone in their homes. I for one, have much more fun when I have my friends over and we are hanging out.

### “Nintendo practically still operates like it’s 1990, if Mario galaxy and Mario 64 was new and innovative, then why didn’t they quit making 2D platformers and charge full price?”

Why would they quit making 2D platformers? Why stick to only 3D? If you don’t like that genre, that’s your problem. But a lot of us still like 2D platformers.

### “how many damn times can you call it new”

Who is calling it new? Those games aren’t new and innovative. Just like most other sequels for other games are not new and innovative. They are enhanced versions with new content.

And you didn’t answer my question for the third time…

#39 1 year ago
  40. Professor Zoom

Those games were all new and innovative and as long as Nintendo can’t contribute with that, they don’t need to be staying in the games industry, they can become a third party publisher or go permantly, I don’t care…

#40 1 year ago
  41. pcbros

@40 – You do realize not everyone cares about graphics, violence and online play right?

And just about everytime Nintendo releases a new game, it scores really well by the public. So obviously, not everyone thinks like you.

Nintendo just priced their console above what most people are willing to pay.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Lengendaryboss

@pcbros
    And that is why there is a missing audience on Nintendo platforms, too geared to one audience and neglecting the other.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Professor Zoom

#42 Exactly

#41 ”You do realize not everyone cares about graphics, violence and online play right?”

In order to have a console you need not only to have familiy games but also violence, third party, online, graphics and a powerful console that can satisfy ALL the gamers, and nintendo is not delivering on this fact, that they’ve always said that they wanna appeal to all the gamers and do it better than their competition, which they obviously don’t with the huge lack of games in contrast to Sony or Microsoft’s consoles and most of the major Wii titles comes in 2014, that’s why people aren’t gonna buy a wii u in Christmas, that’s why it will fail, if you look at the statistics over how many Wii u’s have been sold in it’s period of time on the market compared with Gamecube the same perioid, the Wii u have sold worser. There’s not enough reason to buy it more than an Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4 or PS3, and what about us who don’t want another Zelda game, us who don’t want another mario game, us who don’t want another Smash bros. What do we have to look forward to on nintendo’s console?

”Some people like to play with friends localy and others want to enjoy family friendly games.”

Sorry, but that’s the most pathetic reason I’ve ever heard to buy a Wii u, so PS3, PS2, PS1, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Xbox Original and Xbox One don’t offer this?

#43 1 year ago