PS4 price not determined by Xbox One RRP announce – Tretton

Tuesday, 2nd July 2013 02:27 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The PlayStation 4′s price tag was decided well in advance of Microsoft’s E3 2013 Xbox One conference, SCE America boss Jack Tretton has said.

Microsoft was the first of the two competing platform holders to present at E3 2013, and revealed a $499 launch price for the Xbox One. Sony’s immediate follow-up of a $399 RRP for the PlayStation 4 had the cynical thinking that the company had deliberately undercut its rival in the break between conferences – which is, of course, kind of ridiculous.

“A multi-billion dollar publicly traded corporation makes those decisions months and months in advance,” Tretton told IGN in an episode of Up At Noon, as transcribed by Polygon.

“We felt we had a great value proposition that people would respond to but you don’t know how you’re going to be positioned against your competition. We felt good about it regardless of where our competition came in, but lower is better than higher, we learned that with PlayStation 3.”

In fact, Tretton wasn’t even watching Microsoft’s gentle collapse.

“We were doing rehearsals and I was going through my stuff. I heard a little bit of applause and I figured if there was applause and it was in our arena that was probably good news,” he said.

The executive said he was elated to have “won” E3, receiving several bouts of ovation during Sony’s E3 conference, but knows the console war is still to be fought.

“I really had to allow myself to enjoy the moment for a couple of minutes after the press conference finished and then you kind of have to shake it off and say, ok, day one of a ten year battle, and we have to win the consumer’s support one consumer at a time, so it’s back in the trenches,” he said.

1. wildBoar

So IGN’s full of shit.. Who knew right?

#1 1 year ago
  2. SlayerGT

Good episode of Up at Noon.

#2 1 year ago
  3. melonbuster1

Bullshit. . Lol

#3 1 year ago
  4. Bam007

It’s okay. Just like the PS Move, the PS4 camera thing will also become pointless within the first 12 months of its release.

#4 1 year ago
  5. machy

option is a power for consumer .. thx sony

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheBlackHole

“PS4 price not determined by Xbox One RRP announce”

Except that it was, because Sony made a very conscious decision fairly late on to make the camera optional, not mandatory, thus cutting a good chunk of money off the base price.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

How late on? You’d expect both would have been reasonably aware of what the other was doing. Videos confirming the camera removal were available well before the MS press conference.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gama_888

@6 and how the hell do you know that??

PS4 would still be cheaper even if the camera was included

#8 1 year ago
  9. Chris8bits

Uh duh! If you honestly believed even for a second that Sony came up with the price between MS’ conference and their own, you’re naïve and don’t have the tiniest shred of a god damn clue how business works. And fuck IGN for perpetuating that rumor to begin with.. Children and idiots, everywhere.

#9 1 year ago
  10. MCTJim

What I believe is that they decided to come out with a core system at E3 that didn’t include their eye toy camera.

#10 1 year ago
  11. DrDamn

They decided to remove the camera *at* E3? There were PS advertising videos seen on 2nd June well before E3 which confirmed the camera was sold separately.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OlderGamer

With the DRM Uturn, Kinect is the only reason I am not buying XBone. Glad Sony decided to make their eye toy optional.

#12 1 year ago
  13. MCTJim

@11 I have not seen any official advertising prior to E3 since both systems were not officially promoting buy me at that point…all the gaming sites are now reporting that it was made at E3 to undercut the x1 pricing. So I really dont know who to believe and its really not a big deal to me anyways. When it comes to buying next gen I will be getting both. 100 bucks is not going to break my bank since I am spending 1k anyways with the games I want at launch.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

This was from 2nd June. So at that point they were already producing advertising material with this in. The decision was not made at E3.

I’d buy both at launch too if I didn’t have pesky commitments like kids ;). Some great looking games coming for both systems. PS4 is just better value for me at this point and has more games I want to try, there’s lots on X1 to tempt me too though.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Citrus raptor

I believe they had planned for several different prices/packages, and decided which one they’d go with after MS announced their price point. That’s what I would have done anyway…

#15 1 year ago
  16. MCTJim

@13 I just looked and it seems to me that the little advert that says MAY be required could or could not be included..who knows and as it stand right now..its moot..pricing is what it is. As for pesky kids..I understand completely..got two and they are expensive..especially the one who is in his 2nd year of college…but I have been putting away $$ just for these systems since last year..kinda like a Christmas club..20 bucks a week is all I could afford and now its gonna pay off… I was figuring they would both be 500 bucks each..got just enough for both and maybe a game on each system.

#16 1 year ago
  17. bradk825

@15 that’s my theory. Going second is a big advantage, I don’t believe for a second he was going to go on the stage not knowing the entire XB1 presentation. They already said cutting the eye from the bundle was designed to undercut XB1.

PS4 launch announcement was made before XB1 but their price wasn’t announced until AFTER XB1, I am guessing if XB1 had not named their price at E3, Sony would not have either. Analysts were already saying it was going to be a game of chicken to see who could price their box second and undercut the competitor.

I like that Kinect is included. The exclusive titles are more likely to invest in more and more detailed Kinect functionality if they are not limiting their audience by doing so. If every XB1 has a kinect, you aren’t targeting only 30% of the XB1 crowd when you make a game and want to add motion control to go with the gamepad or add voice, or both.

Sony scored a pricing victory but cutting the eye but may lose out in the long run when nobody wants to build stuff for it.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Citrus raptor

I agree with everything you wrote.

#18 1 year ago