Titanfall: Xbox One’s cloud computing helped Respawn think differently, says Zampella

Tuesday, 18th June 2013 10:22 GMT By Dave Cook

Titanfall developer Respawn Entertainment is using Xbox One and Windows 8′s cloud computing technology to enhance its debut shooter. Announced at E3, the game is heavily interwoven with online aspects, and studio founder Vince Zampella has discussed the power of the cloud in a new interview.

Speaking with IGN, Zampella confirmed that when Respawn signed with EA neither party had Microsoft exclusivity for Titanfall in mind, but that Windows 8-based cloud computing proved attractive to the studio.

“It allowed us to think of the game a little differently,” he said, and added that the game offloads enemy and friendly AI to the cloud, along with dedicated servers. The end result is more natural NPC enemies, and smoother online play that seamlessly blends single and multi-player into a world that feels both organic and populated.

However, Zampella re-iterated his caution around cross-play between PC and Xbox formats, due to the speed advantage given to keyboard and mouse players. We reported on this stance last week as well, and it seems like things won’t change in the immediate future.

Regardless he said of cross-play, “I mean, we’ll see. If it turns out to be less of an issue than I think it is, then, well … we’ll obviously look at it, but I’m not convinced yet.”

Would you like to see cross-play in Titanfall? Do the game’s cloud features sound appealing? Let us know below.

1. CyberMarco

So, even the Xbox 360 can have cloud features. It’s indeed rocket science…

#1 10 months ago
  2. Aullah

I guess cloud is the new buzzword at MS. (Besides “experience”).

#2 10 months ago
  3. dagla

So cloud = bots on dedicated servers.. wow. At least the console crowd will experience lag free gameplay after all these years of p2p cod games.

#3 10 months ago
  4. OmegaSlayer

Advertising the Cloud for the exclusivity on MS, having the game on 360 too makes Respawn looks like idiots.

#4 10 months ago
  5. alterecho

I can only see storm clouds…

#5 10 months ago
  6. noherczeg

@4 I guess the main reasoning behind it is that they might have ignored them totally if the Xbone didn’t have cloud support :D

#6 10 months ago
  7. sg1974

Memo

From: MS Redmond
    To: All XBox devs; All XBox execs
    Subject: The Cloud

PLEASE please please can you keep mentioning the Cloud, the power of the Cloud and the infinite possibilities of the Cloud. No need to explain what it is or what it does (or doesn’t do); the sense of mystery helps keep covered the fact it’s mostly all bullshit anyways.

Thanks y’all,

Steve B and team

PS Wiring you another bunch of greenbacks now.

#7 10 months ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

It’s a conspiracy!

Where’s my protective hat gone…?

#8 10 months ago
  9. sg1974

Same place as your self-awareness and humility. Oh, and your sense of humour.

Perhaps I should just stick to posting new forum discussions like this. Much more constructive I’m sure you would agree:

Do as I say….

#9 10 months ago
  10. sg1974

Heads’ up everyone: the site boss is here. Best behaviour please: think before posting.

#10 10 months ago
  11. G1GAHURTZ

^ I didn’t know you were the boss…

#11 10 months ago
  12. sg1974

Hurry up and post your daily update on what we can and cannot say G1GA.

#12 10 months ago
  13. G1GAHURTZ

There’s only one individual giving orders around here, and it’s not me…

#13 10 months ago
  14. manamana

@Dave is it possible to get a final statement from Microsoft of what indeed the cloud is, what it will do and what not? I think it would be a tremendous help for gamers and other gamingwebsites alike. Thanks for your efforts in advance.

#14 10 months ago
  15. sg1974

@13 Only to you. Like most bullies, you love to dish it out, but you can’t take a drop of it. And when someone speaks back to you, you are suddenly a defensive little kitten who has never said boo to a goose.

So far there have only been two posters who have had a problem with me. Da Man and you. Says a lot doesn’t it. What’s that saying about the company you keep? The list of people who have a problem with you is long and illustrious.

#15 10 months ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

Hmm… Isn’t that nice.

Oh yes, so where is all of this evidence of you criticising ps3fanboy then?

You seemed to run off last time when I asked you for proof…

Or was it just another lie?

A lie from a sad, vindictive, so and so, to hide his hypocrisy…

#16 10 months ago
  17. Dave Cook

@14 I’ll see what I can do

#17 10 months ago
  18. sg1974

@16 Change the subject much? Anyone would think you were keen to move the debate away from your own behaviour and put the focus on other people who disagree with you. Again.

As I don’t view this site 24 hours a day I didn’t see your demand to provide you with evidence of my own behaviour. Do your own work, boy. Just because I haven’t taken some time out to prove to some internet troll that I have or haven’t done something is not proof of anything. Whereas nobody here needs to research your comment history to know what you are.

#18 10 months ago
  19. G1GAHURTZ

^ Keep squirming.

#19 10 months ago
  20. sg1974

@19 Keep squirming about what?

=====

G1GAHURTZ
    14/06/13, 9:45 am

“Be quiet, sg1974. [comment: you never order others around, right?]

I might take you seriously if I ever see you complain about a single word from ps3fanboy.

Until then, you’re clearly just being a fanboy.”

=====

sg1974
    15/06/13, 8:51 am

“That’s funny G1GA, I must have imagined those several occasions in the past week alone on which I told PS3f to shut up and lumped him in with Da Man.

You really do have a highly selective memory and selective sight – just like the dictatorial spoilt brat you are.

You get fail of the week.”

=====

G1GAHURTZ
    15/06/13, 9:55 am

“People keep talking.

But they don’t provide any links…

I wonder why. Must be the desperation.”

=====

Told him to give it a rest (i.e. shut up):

I lumped him in with Da Man:

There were other comments too. You can find those yourself – in-between the posts designed purely to troll other VG247 users:

#20 10 months ago
  21. gamereck36

When looking at the gameplay that I looked at it reminds my of COD on steroids with guys running on buildings.

#21 10 months ago
  22. manamana

@17 awesome and good luck!

#22 10 months ago
  23. G1GAHURTZ

@20:

What?

Is that it??

You mean you kept me waiting all this time for that…?

‘Take a day off (from all your excellent SDF work) and have some ice cream’??

He’s just a ‘stupid kid (compared to the playground(?) bully)’?

You need to look up the word “several”, because you don’t seem to understand what it means…

Squirm some more, Mr hypocritical, Sony lover… Squirm some more.

#23 10 months ago
  24. sg1974

It took you an hour to come back with that?

Aaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

This page is going right into my Bookmarks for future enjoyment and quotation.

G1GAHURTZ. Always right. Even when he’s wrong.

So funny.

#24 10 months ago
  25. G1GAHURTZ

Well… I do have to go shopping at least once a week.

I know you think you’re the most important man in the world, and all, but I don’t think I need to starve myself just to respond to your trolling.

Be careful with the nervous laughter there, too. It’s very transparent.

#25 10 months ago
  26. sg1974

Shopping?

Keep squirming.

#26 10 months ago
  27. G1GAHURTZ

Did someone just turn off the maturity in this place?

#27 10 months ago
  28. Cort

@23 What has he got to squirm about exactly? You called BS on his claim he had told PS3f to shut up and compared him to da Man, and he proved without any possibility of doubt that he did.

Talk about arrogant desperation. The only hypocritical fanboy I see here is you. But hey, you knew that already. Enough of us keep pointing it out.

#28 10 months ago
  29. G1GAHURTZ

^ Oh look, it’s the ‘I got voted one of the most hated people on VG247, so I’m going to leave and cry’ Cort.

Well, just to entertain your SDF love-in, I’ll kindly remind you, Mr ‘officially third most hated personality 2011′, that he explicitly used the term “several”. And his examples don’t even match up to one.

One of them is a thinly veiled pat on the back, and the other is a justification for why I’m personally deserving of a ban.

Get it, Mr ‘Oh no, I’m going to leave because nobody loves me’, drama queen?

#29 10 months ago
  30. Cort

@27. Seriously boy, do you have no self awareness at all? Not even just a little bit? Start practising what you preach, and then you have earned the right to lecture everyone else on how to behave.

I don’t know where it comes from and I don’t care. Maybe daddy screwed a woman at work and left you with an overprotective single mother who gave you everything you wanted and turned you into an entitled spoiled prick. Whatever, just shut the fuck up telling everyone else how to behave and then whining like a child when someone behaves exactly like you do.

Now my rant is over, you can proceed to explain to everyone why I too must be a Sony defence force troll who enrages your admirable senses of decency and respect on the Internet.

#30 10 months ago
  31. Cort

Oh look you already condemned me as an SDF troll while I was typing. Predictable much?

#31 10 months ago
  32. sg1974

Keep squirming.

#32 10 months ago
  33. sg1974

Double post. Dammit.

#33 10 months ago
  34. Djoenz

oh Gigahurtz my man you are making a fool out of yourself lately. . . This site is not good for you.

#34 10 months ago
  35. sg1974

Absolutely NO vindictive, hypocritical trolling comments from G1gahurtz in this thread. Not him. It’s everybody else. Always everybody else.

#35 10 months ago
  36. G1GAHURTZ

@30:

Oh dear…

I see you’re obviously projecting silly circumstances onto others, based on your own life experience, there. Mr officially unwanted one.

I must say, I don’t recall anyone ever voting me for the most hated commenter of the entire year. You must have been a complete fail of an individual.

It appears as though nothing’s changed…

Oh well. Anyway, if memory serves me correctly, the two who preceded you in that poll have been perma-banned, so if you carry on posting, I’d say that your days were probably numbered around here.

Won’t that be a shame. I’ll only have sg1974 to reduce to an immature, babbling wreck on days such as these…

#36 10 months ago
  37. Cort

Are you that stupid G1GA? You claimed he couldn’t offer any evidence and he showed you two comments. He said go find the others yourself. Are you that dumb to think that there aren’t more out there when you previously (and falsely) insisted there were no examples at all? And you can choose your own arbitrary threshold all you want: that post shot you down big time and all you can do is thrash around like a tuna on a trawler deck and insist it doesn’t count.

Yup, I got voted third most hated user after a campaign by you, Da Man and the other XBot trolls who were furious that I disagreed with your insistence that the 360 was the greatest single technological achievement in history and the PS3 would flop. It proved the trolls like you run this site. But it was nice to get an apology from the boss (Pat, not you) and a plea to come back.

@37 I wasn’t the one who got a rare slap down from one of the site writers last week, boy. More selective memory.

#37 10 months ago
  38. G1GAHURTZ

You claimed he couldn’t offer any evidence

Really? Quote me where I said he “couldn’t” offer any evidence.

Really? Quote me where I insisted that there were “no examples” at all.

Your desperation to see me “shot down” has led to you reading words that never existed.

I asked him for proof. If he ever provides it, I will take him seriously, like I said, and consider his points.

At no stage did I rule out the possibility of him providing what I asked him for. That only happened in your imagination.

So until he provides me with proof. Real quotes, where he said anything to ps3fanboy, which is similar to what he’s tried to say to me, I’ll consider him nothing more than a hypocritical troll, who is happy to see MS bashed all day long, but turns into a babbling wreck whenever anyone dares to say anything less than positive about his beloved Japanese corporation.

Oh, and that’s really quite pitiful that you think that me and Da Man were responsible for you getting correctly labelled for what you were/are.

Very telling, indeed…

Oh, by the way, you’ve reminded me about your claim that there were “legions of Xbox fans” predicting the demise of Blu-ray. I asked you for proof too, but you ran off. (I’m detecting a pattern, here…)

So where is the proof for this wild claim you’ve been throwing around?

I’d like to see who exactly it is that you remember claiming that Blu-Ray would be the end of the PS3.

Oh, and as for Brenna having words with me and Michael, I held my hands up, and admitted that I provoked him first. I intend to treat him with more respect from now on.

However, looking back at these comments, it’s obvious that I’m clearly not the instigator here.

#38 10 months ago
  39. Cort

Changing the terms of the question, choosing self-serving criteria for acceptability and then insisting that because somebody didn’t reply to an issues demand for proof to back up a comment last month it must mean he is right and the person ran off scared (maybe there was some shopping to be done….).

Where to start. It’s an embarrass de richesses…..

#39 10 months ago
  40. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t know where to start?

Start here:

———-
    You claimed he couldn’t offer any evidence

Really? Quote me where I said he “couldn’t” offer any evidence.

Really? Quote me where I insisted that there were “no examples” at all.

———-

When you’ve admitted your mistake, maybe we can move on…

#40 10 months ago
  41. Cort

Even more selectivity. You should see a doctor about your dodgy eyesight. It seems you can only see things you want to. Might be a sign of something.

#41 10 months ago
  42. Cort

My god you’re easy to play G1GA. I set out to achieve something today and you never even put up a fight. My work here is done. Tuna on a trawler deck my ass, you went limp and allowed yourself to be hauled right in.

See you next time mate.

#42 10 months ago
  43. G1GAHURTZ

^ I’ll take that as an admission of talking complete and utter gibberish and making childishly false accusations your error.

Ignoring the issue to try and save face…

It’s not very mature. No wonder you and sg1974 get on so well.

#43 10 months ago
  44. G1GAHURTZ

They always run off…

As soon as you show them how silly they’ve been, they just leave, without so much as a thank you.

How bizarre.

#44 10 months ago
  45. Cort

Careful. You wouldn’t want to come across as vindictive. G1GAHURTZ issues red cards to anyone being vindictive to him on his site.

#45 10 months ago
  46. DSB

This worked just dandy for Simcity 5.

#46 10 months ago
  47. Sanwiches

@DSB Yeah well I think Respawn knows better than the current Maxis team.

#47 10 months ago