Mad Max petition calls for Australian voice actor

Tuesday, 18th June 2013 08:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Avalanche Studios’ Mad Max utilises an actor with an American accent, something which has disappointed fans of the Australian-grown film franchise. Ausgamers asked the developer about the choice and was told that the team wanted someone “generic”, so it has opened a petition to request an Australian actor be brought on board. You know what to do. Mad Max is coming to PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in 2014.

1. Bam007

Signed. Not sure what 200 signatures will accomplish, but it’s a start.

2. Christopher Jack

Hire me!

In all seriousness, while I’d like an Australian to be the star, that really is a decision that should have been made in the early stages of development. It wouldn’t be fair for the current actor to lose his job just because of a small minorities nostalgia.

Also, to all Americans out there: Please don’t attempt to mimic our accent, you’re all dreadful at it. Oddly though Brits generally aren’t too bad at mimicking our accents.

3. Petulant Radish

The Australian accent is just Cockney with a smile on your face, try it. That could have something to do with it, cobber.

4. SplatteredHouse

That’s not good.
    “In fact, it was really uncomfortable to sit through given the studio talked passionately about treating cars and car-combat in the game with respect given the movie heritage and its impact on pop-culture.

I asked them after the presentation what the decision behind that was, and if they’d change it, but was met with “we wanted someone generic”, and a bit of a shrug regarding any sort of reverence to the character in the same way they’re giving vehicles.”

The thing I dislike about this is Avalanche’s lack of awareness, on a cultural level. I’ve seen a score of comments around, along the lines of hoping for movie Max as DLC/bonus content.

5. Gheritt White

I didn’t think convicts were allowed to vote?

OH YES, I WENT THERE.

6. sg1974

^ I Lol’d.

7. DeVitowned

As a purist, it is insulting to disrespect the source material by using anyone other than an Australian. What’s next, Colin Farrell as Crocodile Dundee?

8. TheWulf

Sigh. They just wanted to be generic. I wouldn’t want the voice actor to lose his job, either, but I am disappointed by this. A little while ago I spoke about how I don’t believe that the mainstream has very high expectations of us. They don’t think that we’re bright enough to appreciate things which aren’t generic. Well, I am pretty bright, and I rail against generic, grey-brown, witless, popcorn-munching entertainment.

Mad Max at least has eccentricity going for it, much like Fallout, but if you take that away from it then what is it other than Yet Another Generic Post-Apocalyptic Setting? And we’ve all seen how incredibly well generic post-apocalyptic settings have been doing lately. *cough.* (Hint: Outside of DayZ, generic post-apocalyptic settings have been largely hated.)

So I’m disappointed by this. Not surprised, not even remotely surprised, but disappointed.