Xbox One has “infinite” cloud grunt, power of ten Xbox 360′s – Microsoft

Friday, 14th June 2013 01:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Xbox One engineering manager Jeff Henshaw has said the processing power of the new console is literally limitless.

Speaking at a console demonstration, as reported by GamesIndustry, Henshaw said the Xbox One has “the computational power of more than 10 Xbox 360 consoles” but that “the cloud brings infinite additional processing power”.

“Microsoft has hundreds of thousands of servers and dozens of data centers geographically distributed all around the planet, and Xbox One has the ability to instantly tap in to that limitless computational horsepower,” he said.

Because of its ability to draw on “virtualized cloud computing resources”, the Xbox One can process tasks “without even breaking a sweat” that would cause any other device to “melt a hole in the ground”.

“Game developers can now create persistent worlds that encompass tens or hundreds of thousands of players without taxing any individual console, and those worlds that they built can be lusher and more vibrant than ever before because the cloud persists and is always there, always computing,” Henshaw said.

“Those worlds can live on in between game sessions. If one player drops out, that world will continue on and can experience the effects of time, like wear from weather damage, so that when a player comes back into the universe it’s actually a slightly evolved place in the same way that our real world evolves a little bit from the time we go to sleep to the time we wake up. Game developers have given us incredibly positive feedback on the crazy different ways that they can use this incredible new cloud power resource.”

The Xbox One will launch in November in 21 territories for $499.

1. MCTJim

Awesome. But we need more info on how this works. I’ve seen posts before on this and people try to explain it who really dont understand it. I work as a Network Engineer and I get the whole cloud infrastructure…but what I want to know is how this works like on a flow chart on the X1.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Bill_E_Talent

It does sound pretty amazing, but like the poster above me, I would love to understand how they work around the massive bottleneck issue that exists due to internet bandwidth latency and speeds as mentioned in the Digital Foundry article from a couple weeks ago.

#2 1 year ago
  3. G1GAHURTZ

Cumulonimbus, baby, yeah!!!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Ireland Michael

And not a single game that can apparently take advantage of it.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Sanwiches

@4 “During the press conference, Vince Zampella, Respawn CEO, confirmed that the game would use cloud computing.” From a polygon article that I took from google.

What did you say?

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

you can have infinite cloud powers to hell and back. but without online access, the cloud means shit. so this is no real powers, but only clouded talk. one thing it prove is that the microsoft hardware is weak and not up to the task when real processing powers of the cpu is needed.

don’t be fooled by microsofts pr talk folks

#6 1 year ago
  7. Sanwiches

@ps3fanboy Even PS4 said they had cloud computing power for devs if they wanted it, and really, for multiplayer games, that’ll be great. You can go away.

#7 1 year ago
  8. illusiveman

Basically streaming content that normally would have been handled by the GPU. Of course you want to have a good connection.

#8 1 year ago
  9. NeutralBlade

The cloud is a simple way to turn titles into 24/7, always-on games. If the discussion was solely based on enhancing online multi-player, (while making sure local offline and/or lan multi-player is still supported), then I would be more interested in what they have to say. I’m simply not interested in the cloud when used in this sense, because the system will be designed to their ultimate benefit, not the consumers.

If they began using all this “amazing” power of the cloud for games, who’s going to pay for all that server support? It will certainly get to a point where the sub fee for Xbox Live, will be insufficient. And once server support is dropped, the games are dead.

I want all titles to function sufficiently without cloud support, only losing certain features if the system goes offline; not disabling titles all together. For every upside they attempt to state with their current policies, there is a concerning downside to it all as well. Unless there is a permanent change of policy, the Xbox One is a no-win situation.

With no DRM system in place, games on other consoles will more likely stick to features, versus building support around the cloud. Microsoft should have invested more in the capability of their system, and less on features that gamers aren’t interested in. The cloud is their supposed answer to making up for having weaker hardware. But it’s hardly a benefit, especially since the competition can enhance their own games with the cloud, while doing so in a more consumer-friendly manner.

#9 1 year ago
  10. ps3fanboy

@7 sony talks about adding features to online gaming yes, but they don’t talk about cloud as it’s gonna give their hardware more cpu powers. games on the ps4 is not depending on clouding to run and never will. so there is a big different… looks like you have been swallowing the microsoft pr bs without thinking.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@5 I’m talking about taking advantage of it to the degree that they’re claiming its capable of.

They keep going on about this insane computing power that will do all these crazy calculations and transform your console into some sort of super-console or something in the process.

In reality, it’s just an online server the same as any detailed online game on the PC (and PS3) in the past has used. Developers will just have to go through Microsoft to access it, instead of being allowed to use their own.

#11 1 year ago
  12. G1GAHURTZ

You’re confused, Michael, confused!

#12 1 year ago
  13. WENDiGO

So they made a console that lacks a little in power and they’re hoping it is made up with the cloud…I can see the bite in the ass from a mile away. The cloud sounds interesting but I have a feeling it will backfire, badly. Wasn’t there something that was leaked a while ago saying that this might be their last console because they had a plan to make it last longer? Don’t tell me this is the plan?

#13 1 year ago
  14. pandulce1

@11 Exactly. This is the same as any MMO game that’s been around for years. The online world continues on after you log off. This is nothing more than Microsoft spewing some PR BS.

#14 1 year ago
  15. tcc

As a math major I can safely say it is NOT INFINITE

#15 1 year ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

“One of the new things … is taking advantage of the cloud to put our dedicated servers there, to eliminate things like host advantage and things like that, and introduce more stable experiences for our players,” Zampella says. But Titanfall’s server-based backbone goes beyond the traditional benefits of dedicated servers for multiplayer games. “It allows us to offload all AI processing, all that single-player stuff, onto the cloud.”

The “single-player stuff” Zampella alludes to includes the basic scripting and control of the world itself. All non-player activity is determined server-side, whether it’s AI “popcorn” or the massive ships that often hover over the battlefield. There are multiple practical benefits to this arrangement. Instead of having world events determined in one player’s session and uploading that information to the multiplayer server, which would then be distributed to each player, locational and movement data for the various parts of Titanfall are distributed to each player simultaneously.

“Being able to know we have those servers available allows us to focus on other things,” Baker says. It also frees up system resources for the game running on a console or PC. “Before we decided to do that, our plan was to have (two of six available) threads dedicated to that, to running the ‘server’ on one of the (player) clients. It gives us more CPU available on the console than we’d have.”

I don’t know that we would have tried this game, had we not had access to the cloud and the servers that it gives us,” Emslie said.

#16 1 year ago
  17. DarkElfa

The only problem with clouds is they either blow away or turn into storms.

Also, I think some people are staring at the clouds and seeing shapes that aren’t there.

#17 1 year ago
  18. xAKUM3TSUx

@ps3fanboy what @Sandwiches said is true. Ps4 gives producers the choice to opt in or out of cloud usage. I don’t want to burst your ego bubble but it doesn’t help anyone when you constantly rant.

On a more personal note, take it from a long time xbox 360 fan- when I heard the “bad” news MS confirmed before E3. That was enough for me to make the switch. The Ps4 is just less restrictive so I’m only going to buy that…not because I think it’s better (and I do) but because it suits me more as a gamer, and I’d think about that before I’d buy anything.

It doesn’t mean the X1 is a bad console. It just shows that If you want practically the same service for a bit less hurt to your wallet and a lot more freedom with your games you’ll get the Ps4. And sure as I say this, if the limitations dont bother you then you’ll get the X1. Plain and simple.

#18 1 year ago
  19. machy

in simple words … it’s just like MMO servers, the down side is if the server ever were down for maintenance the game won’t run, next will be all about open worlds and cloud thingy ” take a hint Sony mp is no longer free due the deman for more dedicated servers”"

#19 1 year ago
  20. MegaGeek1

I’m a pure bread videophile to my core. If this is true, and the X1 starts pumping out games with visuals that smoke high end PCs by tapping into this cloud tech (that quite frankly sounds to good to be true), than I’m sold.

Thats a really good argument for always online too.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Ireland Michael

@20 It sounds too good because it is.

While the concept is theoretically true, unless we all start getting like 500MB/s Internet connection in the next six months, its completely impossible to actually put what they’re claiming into practise, and by the time those speeds exist, the technology will have already outstripped it and we’ll be on the Xbox 6.

The console itself is still limited by its specs, and is not going to be able to pump out more than its physically capable of.

Which is exactly what most online multiplayer PC games have been doing for years. AI is AI, whether there’s five players on screen or one. When its just me taking on a mob in a MMO, I’m the only one that data is being sent to. The console’s hardware should be powerful for the single player stuff not to need to be offloaded anyway.

#21 1 year ago
  22. G1GAHURTZ

^ Will you ever get bored of making yourself look stupid?

How many times do you have to come out with something so idiotic and factually incorrect before you finally realise that you’d be better off not saying anything at all?

#22 1 year ago
  23. Ireland Michael

@22 Forever and ever, a-fucking-men.

A sexist, self obsessed, egomaniacal piece of shit like you really has no place to lecture anyone about anything. Half the staff think you’re a male chauvinist pig and can’t stand your presence on this site. You’re turning into the site’s Xbox equivalent of ps3fanboy.

Opinions aren’t facts. When I see a single game make sure of this supposed “unlimited power”, I will happily believe it. So far we have Titan doing some rudimentary AI that PC games have done for years.

#23 1 year ago
  24. G1GAHURTZ

Michael O’Connor.

I do believe you’re going into meltdown.

And trying to play your immensely erroneous little lectures off as “opinion”, now, just doesn’t wash.

You know nothing about hardware, so keep quiet.

#24 1 year ago
  25. redwood

guys.. guys .. guuuuuuyyyyss..see I was actually having a hard time understanding this whole cloud powered consoles stuff from microsoft too…
    but aaa.. than i found this

and it all makes sense to me now..

#25 1 year ago
  26. G1GAHURTZ

^ URL kind of gives it away, without needing to click on it.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Brenna Hillier

Gig. You threw the first stone and that’s not cool. Michael. You followed up with two, which does not make you the winner. If we were to moderate this, we’d smack you both. This is why I keep telling you that you don;t want us to get out the ban hammer.

No more ad hominems. “You are stupid” is not an argument, It’s being a dick. I’d really like everyone to stop being a dick, please. PS3fanboy is certainly one-sided but in this thread he’s more on-topic than what you two have devolved into. (PS3fanboy, do use some punctuation and tone it down though, your points will be better received).

Play nice lads, I like you when you actually behave, and I don’t want to have to put you on the list. Now, everyone talk about games, for goodness sake.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Ireland Michael

@24 You are the worst humanity has to offer. You are an elitist, sexist snob who looks down on anyone who think it isn’t okay to be an asshole. You treat the entire community like shit to the point that Da Man does.

You deliberately try to provoke me every single chance you get, by insulting my character. I was actually discussing the topic of the thread, and all you could do was insult me for it. You do this constantly, not just to me, but countless people on here simply for expressing an opinion you don’t agree with.

“Foul language and insults are the first sign of a weak mind being frustrated at its inability to formulate an intelligent response.”

No, it’s the sign of someone tired of being bullied by a grown man living in a child’s mind. You are pathetic. You are beneath me.

@27 I *was* talking about games, and got harassed for it.

I am always respectful to 99% of the people on here. But if someone throws a punch at me, I’m going to stand up for myself. If he doesn’t want me to punch back harder, maybe he should consider not attempting to provoke me all the time.

“If we were to moderate this, we’d smack you both.”

Careful. I might enjoy it.

#28 1 year ago
  29. redwood

@26 daamn… gonna use the google URL shortner next time ;)

#29 1 year ago
  30. Ireland Michael

@29 Carefully worded nonsense is my raison d’être.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Brenna Hillier

@28 you were harassed, and you responded in kind. And then you did it again. “He hit me first” is not an excuse.

The smack will come from the ban hammer, Michael.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Ireland Michael

@31 Yeah, ban someone for defending themselves and others, instead of the people actually harassing the community on a daily basis.

#32 1 year ago
  33. G1GAHURTZ

Bullied!!?

Wow, O’Connor, I really thought you were tougher than that.

Listen, if you feel bullied, I sincerely apologise. I don’t mean any harm, and I misjudged your ability to handle the stuff that I said to you.

You are right, you were expressing your opinion, and I didn’t word my comment in the best way.

Sorry for that.

I will try to be more reasonable in the future.

#33 1 year ago
  34. G1GAHURTZ

No need to ban Michael, Brenna, I didn’t realise how much I upset him.

#34 1 year ago
  35. The_Red

Do people really believe this? They really think every single Xbox 1 will get a dedicated cloud server? NO. That is not financially feasible.

Even the best online servers are used for multiple clients. In other words, many people will have to share same cloud server which means the power of “TEN XBOX 360″s is divided into many smaller chunks. In the end, cloud can be used for:
    1- Always-online DRM.
    2- Normal multiplayer experience that with have with a few minor additions.
    3- Drivatar AKA Storing ghost data like Tekken has been doing for years.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Ireland Michael

@33 Go fuck yourself.

You do this to everyone on here, *all* the time. 99% of the time it doesn’t even remotely phase me when it’s directed at me. I laugh it off. I’ve brushed off pricks like you for 25 years without a second thought. It bothers me far more the way you treat everyone else. But I’ll be fucking damned if I continue to be a punching bag for your ego.

Apparently standing up for yourself is a bannable offence, but overt sexism and harassment aren’t.

“I didn’t word my comment in the best way.”

You were an outright insulting dick, firing insults straight at me, undermine my intelligence and my character, simply because it was *me* saying something. You wait for the chance to piss on anything I say, so you can win this weird, pathetic macho game or whatever it is that exists only in *your* head.

Disliking Microsoft’s actions is not exactly uncommon, and people have their right to an opinion. There was no reason to single me out.

I love how you phrased your post to frame me as being the oversensitive one, and not simply the fact that you’re a complete dick to people.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Ireland Michael

@35 Its feasible. This is Microsoft after all. They own server farms the size of large towns, that go on for miles.

That doesn’t mean the claims of what it can do though. Nothing they’ve shown hasn’t already been done for years on the PC (and even on the PS3) And none of it justified forced DRM. The only games that should *require* online connections are online games.

One perfect example: Little Big Planet

#37 1 year ago
  38. redwood

@35 unfortunately some people ARE naive.. so yes people DO believe this non-sense that they micosoft (or any other company) can dedicate cloud computations to every single consumer.

#38 1 year ago
  39. The_Red

But they’ve already said so: 300,000 servers. Do they expect to only sell that many (Or 1 Billion). Can we have 1 Billion exclusive, dedicated servers to each X1 and each game?

True though I really hope some of super fans are MS employees and not truly lost and disillusioned gamers.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Joe Musashi

@20 “Thats a really good argument for always online too.

Ding ding ding ding!

JM

#40 1 year ago
  41. sg1974

I’m sorry Brenna, but G1ga has strutted around this site ordering everyone to behave in ways he finds acceptable virtually since the day it opened and he has never been challenged. Yes, many others regularly step out of line (it’s the Internet) but few have made such as successful a career out of it. I’m fed up with being called a troll by someone who starts brand new troll threads and then attacks anyone who calls him on it. I’m fed up with being dismissed as a fanboy by the biggest XBot on the site who throws a fit when anyone says they don’t like his favourite console (and game). I’m fed up with being lectured on how to post and what not to say by someone who does the exact opposite – sometimes in the SAME comment.

I don’t buy this “we haven’t got time for this” stuff. Looking after your customers is your highest priority. We all know of people who have quit this site or reduced their visits because they are fed up with the bullshit they get from some contributors. Your advertisers want more clicks, not fewer.

If G1ga doesn’t get a temporary slap down soon, I’m off somewhere that gives a crap, and you lose another reader.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Ireland Michael

@41 There are two other people on this sure who need a slap far more than he does.

#42 1 year ago
  43. sg1974

Yes. And there have been plenty of requests put in for them. It doesn’t mean no one else deserves it, and it doesn’t mean no one can raise other problems. G1ga’s contributions are more disruptive in my view. PS3f and Da Man are just stupid kids; he is an arrogant playground bully with a major superiority complex.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Ireland Michael

@43 GIGA at least tries to hold an actual discussion once in a while.

#44 1 year ago
  45. monkeygourmet

The ultimate question with this tech can be broken down into:

Why didn’t they talk about it properly in their conference and why weren’t there solid gameplay demo’s showing the benefits of this tech?

All it looks like is them making excuses because of underpowered tech in the console itself compared to PS4…

The fact that Titanfall will almost certainly look better on PC and the fact it’s still coming out on the 360 doesn’t make it the best example.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Bloobat

I’m On Michael’s side here, although I don’t comment much I read nearly every article that is published on here and the amount of times G1GA has tried to provoke people is ridiculous. I can understand why Michael is frustrated as he seems to be getting blamed in part when it’s G1GA whose being the pathetic fanboy a majority of the time.

Atleast Michael is not one sided in his comments.

EDIT: I agree with what Sg said.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Gnosis

@45 I don’t think it’s hard to make a game look better on pc. You could say the same bout PS4 games too. And from what I saw there are quite a few games coming for both current and new gen, so it’s not a big issue either.
    But explain me this: If the console really takes a big part of it’s power from cloud processing, then doesn’t mean that games will also require it to run smoothly? Which would automatically lead to a always online requirement even without it being mandatory, cause otherwise your games will look and run like shit? And does it depend on the speed of my internet connection?

#47 1 year ago
  48. DarkElfa

I’d put my two cents in here, but to be honest, a blind man can see the issue here, hell, Brenna nailed it in her first try.

Michael cracked a joke like he does around Xbox stuff, Giga charged in on his white horse to parry. From there it devolved.

Brenna tries to reign in some order, Mike feels insulted, Giga tries to look like an adult by taking a mature posture that is counter to his normal demeanor in order to both goad Michael into a defensive response and paint him as childish at the same time.

Guys, I’ve been on the web a while now and from my experience, when a Mod has to come into a thread to address an issue and mentions the words ban, everyone who has a brain shuts up and goes back on topic.

Mike, I like you man, but you need to learn when to stick a cork in it or you’ll get yourself banned and then Giga will have the last laugh and you’ll have let him troll you into expulsion.

Giga, you have to stop the white knighting and troll baiting crap, you’re starting to look like the offspring of Da Man and TEA.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Ireland Michael

@46 I appreciate that. Thank you. Good karma your way.

@48 “In turn, Mike, at the end of his apparently last straw and unable to shut up despite better judgement attempts to have the last word for great justice.”

Guilty as charged. Especially the “despite better judgement” part. Hahaha.

FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

#49 1 year ago
  50. monkeygourmet

Then don’t say things like:

“the cloud brings infinite additional processing power”…

It’s just not a promise you can keep…

What you said is completly right though, they haven’t explained this well enough for people to understand the benefits if there are any?

As much as G1GA wants to say he’s waiting for more info before casting judgement, it’s clear his mind is made up on this one.

For me, there is as much evidence that these features are for MS’s benefit and DRM than for enhancing gameplay experiences.

#50 1 year ago
  51. NiceFellow

@5 – came here to say this. Sad to see typical misrepresentation of capabilities and note MS employees apparently don’t understand what “infinite” actually means.

Honestly MS publicly right now sound to me like a joke corporation from Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy – turn on the Infinihypergarggleblasterultimate Cloud for endless entertainment!

The Cloud idea is good – it is something any suitable hardware can do so hardly MS exclusive – and it is most certainly not infinite.

#51 1 year ago
  52. DarkElfa

@49, that’s a great picture man, I’ve been that toast myself.

#52 1 year ago
  53. Gnosis

@50 Actually that sounds like the usual praising nonsense everyone does to make their product look better. Both Sony and MS said things like that during their conferences. Of course it’s not true, because even “infinite processing power” is limited by the hardware response time and they know that. I’d simply ignore that and concentrate on what advantages and disadvantages it really has.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Malmer

Basically everything that isn’t updated every frame and that can work with about a little bit of lag can be offloaded to the cloud. Which is quite a lot of things. Physics for far away objects for instance. And MS seems to be supplying this service for free to developers. Sounds pretty neat to me.

#54 1 year ago
  55. monkeygourmet

What happens if you lose connection? Does the game bug out? Does this create lag in multiplayer if everyone’s connections are different?

#55 1 year ago
  56. laimis911

“Jeff Henshaw has said the processing power of the new console is literally limitless”

But somehow Forza developer in interview with Gamespot confirmed that they won’t add weather system -rain etc. because they reached Xbox One limits. He said that with the new lighting,physics and 1080p they reached Xbox One hardware power limit .
    So who’s is lying ? My guess is Jeff Henshaw

#56 1 year ago
  57. manamana

#57 1 year ago
  58. G1GAHURTZ

@45, 50:

If that’s the “ultimate question”, then a very plausible answer is that they simply saw spending the time on just showing the games as being more important.

Most people simply don’t care about tech. They just want their games to work.

And regarding ‘minds being made up’, I could equally say the exact same thing for those SDFers around here who simply dread to hear anything even remotely positive said about the X1, and I could also say the exact same thing for you.

Try thinking about this logically… All I ever say is, ‘this is possible, let’s see what they can do’, and the response is always, ‘no, no, it’s nothing. It’s impossible, it could never happen. Ever, ever, ever!’

Now, you tell me whose “mind is made up”.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Ireland Michael

@58 You’re the one claiming it assuredly *can*’do certainly things, while refusing to accept that most of it is rudimentary stuff that has been done on other formats (namely PC and PS3) for years already.

#59 1 year ago
  60. Fin

Nah, a more plausible answer is they know Sony’s tech is superior (though the Azure platform is more widespread, that’s for sure). I feel like this whole cloud (I fucking hate the name, they’re just servers) discussion is to distract from A) lack of tech in the box and B) the often-on nature.
    When was the last time you saw a company not releasing full tech specs? Wii U.

Using hyperbole like “5 billion transistors” kinda confirms it.

#60 1 year ago
  61. G1GAHURTZ

@O’Connor:

Hey, there.

Listen, you can call me what you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that you’re wrong about things time and time again.

You write little lectures as though you’re some sort of expert, but what you say is frequently just not true. You do this, and you also troll things that you don’t like.

I fully intend to call you out on that every single time.

But I repeat, I don’t want you to feel bullied, just because I disagree with you.

I know you would like get away with ‘running this site’ yourself, but that’s simply not how it works. It’s not your website. Whatever happened to thegamingvault, by the way?

#61 1 year ago
  62. G1GAHURTZ

@59:

Quote me.

#62 1 year ago
  63. Demigod

Basically this means no two people will see exactly the same things in an xone game that uses this “feature”. It will be useless for fast paced single and multiplayer. For physics calculations, snow rain boulders etc it will be fine, but for anything fast below 50ms it just wont work. Graphics wise it wont make the slightest difference. Crowd calculations it should work fine for but again the rendering will have to be local so that does limit the usefulness again. Yes every console is connected but they cannot guarantee the connection speed the bandwidth limits and ping time so only basic calculations that can have a fall over to local or dropped can be used.
    Tech like this, as suggested, will be more useful for massive persistent online worlds which deal with lag above 50ms all the time anyway but then we dont call that “THE CLOUD” we call them mmo’s who have been doing this for literally over a decade.
    The only way this becomes more usfull is if the content , all of it is streamed, and then we get the lower res high bandwidth problems we know from other streaming services.

#63 1 year ago
  64. viralshag

While I don’t agree with the bitch-slapping going on in this article, this site has become bit of a “PS4-fans only please”.

You don’t even have to defend the X1, just not have a problem or want to buy it and you’re pretty much branded an “Xbot”.

Disappointing really.

#64 1 year ago
  65. G1GAHURTZ

@60:

Nintendo have never spoken about tech.

Well… Not since the SNES, anyway.

And it still fits that maybe MS didn’t see that E3 was the right place to talk about it. We all know that they didn’t talk about games at their reveal, and there are two major conferences left until November, so there still seems to be plenty of time left.

#65 1 year ago
  66. Ireland Michael

@60 My career and / or personal life is none of your business. Suffice to say, I haven’t been invested in journalism for over a year.

I have never trolled a single thing on this site except Call of Duty (and I stopped doing that ages ago), because I’m not commenting with the *intent* (or even the desire) to get a reaction out of people. I’m sharing my thoughts on the subject of the stories, nothing more. Being cynical or snarky doesn’t about it doesn’t make it trolling.

#66 1 year ago
  67. G1GAHURTZ

^ So what’s the difference between what you admit that you did with CoD, and what you’re doing with the X1 now?

#67 1 year ago
  68. monkeygourmet

That’s only because MS has shafted the consumer and created an advertisers wet dream of a console. The machine should be under heavy scrutiny.

Even ‘impartial’ websites are running features regarding the draconian methods MS are putting in place with this console, and; as of yet, there are hardly any redeeming features.

Of course it’s a ‘plausale’ answer, but, MS need to win me over, not the other way round. I have ALOT of choice going into next gen. I already have 360 / PS3. People have the option of PC and STEAM big window, PS4 (cheaper and more powerful) or Wii U.

That’s a lot of options, a PS4 and Wii U are almost the same price as Xbox1, I honestly don’t know how you can’t see MS has a projected view of itself at the moment.

I can only give examples of my experience, but the 5 people I know who were big 360 supporters have all jumped ship for PS4 or PC. Just look at gaming forums all over the place, people just aren’t happy with how MS has presented itself.

#68 1 year ago
  69. polygem

@64: i really don´t think that´s the case. i can only speak for myself but i really think only ms is to blame for this situation. it´s not all about ps fans having their party now. no, it´s also about long time xbox users who feel ripped off and cheated. i mean what do you expect?

#69 1 year ago
  70. monkeygourmet

Exactly, I was all ready to go MS again next gen. I really thought they would spec out their machine and make a powerhouse.

All the shit from the #deal with it, scandal, has not only been proven correct, but worse IMO. Games aren’t bad but hardly good enough to warrant all the crap their forcing on people…

Achievements for watching music videos, advertising, Kinect 2, high price and lower spec…

I could go on and on. It’s a complete mess if you ask me.

#70 1 year ago
  71. Fin

G1GA, really man, can you not see how you’re talking? You’re blindly defending MS…

They’re basically giving a big FUCK YOU to the consumer, and whenever challenged on it, they just entrench their position. I don’t understand how what they’re doing is in any way positive.

I loved the Xbox and 360, both the best consoles of their generations I thought, but MS have seriously dropped the ball. It’s like the PS3 360 launch reversed.

#71 1 year ago
  72. polygem

@70: yeah…and the guy has been fired. he was the only one who was brave enough to just tell the truth without the pr masquerade. they sacrificed the guy for nothing now. shame.

#72 1 year ago
  73. viralshag

@68/69, Oh come on guys let’s not be so blind about it. In almost all the recent articles if people say anything but positive things about PS4 they’re called a troll and if they’re anything but negative about the X1 they’re an apologist.

@71, For a gamer like G1GA (and myself to an extent) while the differences between the PS4 and X1 might be huge (in terms of the DRM) to some gamers, for us it would not change the way we play – and that would apply to either console.

I prefer the Xbox brand, I want to stay with Live and my cheevos, I love the pad and I like the look of the games. My console is never disconnected from the net and I don’t buy many used games, the “restrictions” don’t impact me.

I understand they do for some and so it’s understandable why they wouldn’t buy an X1 but that doesn’t change the fact that the X1 is still fine for me.

#73 1 year ago
  74. monkeygourmet

That’s fine, I’m not going to berate you for your choice. I would like to ask you what would change your mind about choosing X1 though?

#74 1 year ago
  75. Fin

I’m exactly the same (I prefer the brand, pad, games, my console’s never disconnected from the internet and I never buy used game or trade in).
    My concern isn’t that I would be impacted (I wouldn’t), it’s about the amount of control that MS are trying to exert. The 24h checkin is my main issue – if I was able to play offline forever, I’d be buying an X1.

What happens if Microsoft gets hacked like PSN did? What if their servers can’t cope with Launch/Thanksgiving/Christmas load? What happens in 10 years when they want to push X2? What if they get DDOS’d?

I’d have no problem with a one-time online auth of new games. That’s ok, I can live with that.
    24h checks, meaning I’m relying on an external server to play games I own a physical copy of.

That’s bullshit, I don’t see how anyone can see any different.

#75 1 year ago
  76. viralshag

@74, Do you mean me changing my about getting or not getting one?

@75, A lot of those things I had to worry about when buying games on Steam. Things like getting hacked, losing my account, if for whatever reason Valve disappeared and potentially lost my library. While we’ve been told we would probably get to keep all our games I still think about it. To me they seem like similar “problems”, I can live with one I reckon I can live with the other.

I totally agree with you, the check-in is extreme and I think a one-off activation like Steam would be much better.

#76 1 year ago
  77. monkeygourmet

Sorry, about not getting one?

What would they have to do to put you off?

#77 1 year ago
  78. viralshag

@77, Ah ok. Erm, probably not having the games that they do. That has first and foremost always been the deciding factor for me. I’ll admit the PS4 had bit of a disadvantage in that area because I couldn’t build up enough interest to finish Uncharted 2/3, Infamous 2 or KZ3. I’m not saying they’re bad games, just not my sort of game.

So knowing two of three of those are some of the main hitters, I just don’t feel excited enough about them. Whereas Titanfall (which to me looks like the spiritual successor to the PS3 exc. MAG – which was awesome) is right up my street. Spark has gotten an immediate reaction from me that the LBP games never did.

If I didn’t go X1 I would probably stick with the PC. I have something between 300-400 games on Steam, a huge investment. I like to have a console to compliment my PC but it’s becoming less of a must-have the more PC games support gamepads as default.

#78 1 year ago
  79. monkeygourmet

Fair enough :)

#79 1 year ago
  80. viralshag

@79, Just get your PC done and get on Steam. I’ll send you the Arma alpha invite ;)

#80 1 year ago
  81. polygem

if they want me to buy one they must first clarify prism, make games registration OPTIONAL and then give me benefits for registration, like this 10 friends share the same game stuff, they must SAY we were wrong with some stuff and we´re sorry about it, we´ll fix it, they must get rid of 24h check ins, get rid of forced kinect, get rid of ads on xbl gold…none of this is going to happen and that´s why i really can´t see myself buying into x1. it´s a shame, i love halo, i love the xbox pad, i prefer the UI, i prefer achievements but i cannot get over all the negative stuff. really can´t let them get away with it. if i´d buy one i´d feel cheap, like betraying my own principles.

#81 1 year ago
  82. Samoan Spider

@81 They have clarified their position on PRISM, as has Google, Apple and a load of other massive companies. What phone do you use btw? I hope it doesn’t use iOS, Android or WP8. Anyway, for those who don’t like doing research, here’s the MS position on PRISM, and it wasn’t hard to find:

“We provide customer data only when we receive a legally binding order or subpoena to do so, and never on a voluntary basis. In addition we only ever comply with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers. If the government has a broader voluntary national security program to gather customer data we don’t participate in it”

#82 1 year ago
  83. monkeygourmet

Steam ID is: monkeygourmet

PC will hopefully be ready next month! Expensive business this! :)

#83 1 year ago
  84. G1GAHURTZ

@Fin:

Huh? How am I blindly defending MS?

All I’m saying is that I think they can do some really cool stuff with the cloud.

I’ve made numerous comments over the past few days/weeks that explicitly show that I think MS has made some stupid decisions with the X1. They’ve made some stupid decisions, and their execs have said some stupid things.

No doubt about that.

But that doesn’t mean that I have to start hating the cloud all of a sudden.

It doesn’t mean that when O’Connor pops up and says that Azure would somehow need a 500Mbps connection to make any difference, and is exactly the same as the servers used for games in 2001 that I should somehow agree with him, either.

It doesn’t mean that I have to start hating Titanfall all of a sudden.

Listen, I can guarantee you that if Titanfall was a PS4 exclusive, and if Sony were promoting the exact same cloud system for the PS4, I would be saying exactly the same things.

The only problem here is that certain vindictive individuals go to sleep every night and wake up every morning thinking that ‘G1GA <3 MS'. So if I talk up cloud technology, or get hyped about Titanfall, they automatically assume that it's some sort of secret ploy on my behalf to attack Sony.

Obviously, that's not the case.

#84 1 year ago
  85. Wolrosh

So its either nothing (no internet connection )
    or Infinity (with internet connection)

#85 1 year ago
  86. Max Payne

@78 Spark and Titanfall are both on PC as well.

#86 1 year ago
  87. Cort

Bullies always play the victim when the light is shone in their face.

#87 1 year ago
  88. ianbenoir

Sounds like something sony can do too.

#88 1 year ago
  89. G1GAHURTZ

@87:

Takes one to know one.

I’m still waiting for evidence of your untrue claims about “legions of Xbox fans” claiming Blu-ray was doomed to failure…

#89 1 year ago
  90. deraj

Gamers: “What about the CPU and GPU speeds compared to PS4?”
    Microsoft: “Ssshhhh look at the pretty clouds!”

#90 1 year ago
  91. Joe_Gamer

“why are people mean to me when I say I want an xbone?”

Because you are fucking SUPPORTING policies that hurt consumers and benefit businesses, Your “can’t be assed to understand shit” attitude is making things worse for everyone else in the world…Every time you buy an Xbone you are saying “I don’t care if you bend me over a barrel as long as I can teebag noobs!”…stop making the world a worse place.

The cloud is a fucking buzzword, M$’s 300k servers are fucking VIRTUAL servers running on 15k real servers, there is no way they can donate any significant processing resources to a large amount of customers, even if they could, the latencies involved would limit them to fluff and optional processes. Ironically, the less people that buy an xbone, the more cloud resources will be available to them…should have just put in better hardware from the beginning and made kinect optional.

It’s the cell processor all over again, they said it was the greatest processor blah blah, it was so great no one ever bothered to use it in anything else EVER…PC’s have had access to cloud resources for decades and guess what, it’s practically useless for gaming, for all the extra costs, latency, extra programming and development, people way smarter than all of us learned long ago that it was cheaper and more efficient to push the processing resources to the edges(end users) and the management resources to the center(cloud). That’s why M$ wants the cloud, they don’t give two shits about your gaming “performance” they just want the ability to manage/control that gaming.

#91 1 year ago