Microsoft opening stores inside 600 Best Buy outlets to promote Xbox One

Friday, 14th June 2013 09:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One will be showcased at 600 Best Buy locations across the States by Microsoft. The company will use the sites to promote the next-gen console ahead of its November launch.

GI.biz reports that the pop-up stores will showcase many Microsoft products, including Xbox One, Xbox 360, Windows 8, and Windows Surface, among others.

Launching between June and September, there will be 500 stores opened in the US and 105 in Canada.

In a statement, CMO and CFO of Microsoft’s Windows division Tami Reller said, “The Windows Store offers a large-scale, hands-on customer experience that will show customers how Windows and Microsoft devices and services can make it easier for them to work and play.”

What do you make of this plan? Is it a good step? Let us know below.

1. orakaa

Good luck with that. Instead of good PR and a good product, they’ll try to win their way inside houses via a massive marketing campaign.
    This might work, in the US.

But in Europe, you could see such “stores” dedicated to Surface when it released, with little results and success compared to the insane amount of money spent on marketing campaigns. Marketing will not help sell if your product is too expensive (and I’m not even talking about the restrictions, as I guess most “casual” won’t even know the console require a mandatory Internet connection, restrain free use/sharing of games, etc.).

We’ll see who win the war, but even if Xbox One won’t tank massively, I don’t think it will be a success like the 360.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Bloobat

Will be interesting to see who they choose to market this to, will they go for the gamer crowd like Sony or the family Kinect crowd and casuals? I think they will try both but I don’t know if $500 is really in casual territory.

#2 1 year ago
  3. KAP

Oh shit that reminds me to preorder my PS4.

#3 1 year ago
  4. tcc

…Aaaaand the monstrous Microsoft marketing machine moves into motion, with much money.

#4 1 year ago
  5. KAP

Preordered.

#5 1 year ago
  6. melonbuster1

Lol..They are laughing at sony

#6 1 year ago
  7. Digital Bamboo

@4 Exactly what I was thinking, but with more alliteration.

This will probably work, to some extent, but man, the employees in those stores are sure going to take a lot of flak from gamers. It could actually be a new sport, how badly can you break the Microsoft store drone’s balls?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Klaxusprime

There is no word about Xbox One in the press release… and it’s too early to put in on the shelves

#8 1 year ago
  9. Klaxusprime

” Each store will feature a showcase section with the latest Windows-based PC form factors such as ultrabooks, convertibles, detachables and all-in-ones — including portable devices; and a standalone area featuring Microsoft Surface.”

No consoles….

#9 1 year ago
  10. VibraniumSpork

If they do this in the UK it might help ‘em out – people love to try before they buy. I still remember getting so excited at the Bushido Blade PS1 demo in Toys R Us a few months before the console was released…man, I was *sold* that day.

Just in passing though, the word in my local Game was that since E3 the PS4 pre-orders have rocketed and the XBone’s have flatlined. Anecdotal, but there it is.

#10 1 year ago
  11. ps3fanboy

micro$haft act like vacuum cleaner and used car sales men… LOL..

#11 1 year ago
  12. gamereck36

Now Microsoft is Scrambling. Pull out the vaseline Microsoft you just screwed yourself at E3. You know what would be truly funny is if a person goes into BB and listen to the entire spill about the new Xbox One then the customer ask where can I find a PS4.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Kuwabara

the contingency plan

#13 1 year ago
  14. Gigabomber

So I get to try out the superior controller sooner? great. Lol, Microsoft, scrambling. Sony’s the company that has lost half of it’s divisions and kept their video game section purely because they have ps2 fanboys.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DSB

Microsofts money can only take them so far.

Fact is there are major internet issues in some parts of the US. If you live next to a truly major city then you might be alright, but lots of areas have shitty internet, and unlike most places in Europe, you can’t just change your ISP. Especially in rural areas, they’re often operating a monopoly.

I have no idea why that isn’t subject to antitrust laws etc. but it’s pretty bad. I spend a lot of time in the Mobile suburbs, and in that area it’s Comcast or nothing. You can maybe get a 56k modem from AT&T. I was pretty impressed to learn that ISPs were still offering 56k’s over there.

#15 1 year ago
  16. gargus

I cant believe people still go to bestbuy. They have a dwindling selection of products and horrible pricing for products. I don’t think aside from an occasional sale you can find anything in a bestbuy that you cant find cheaper on amazon.

And the upshot of amazon is you don’t have to deal with shitty customer service from employees that don’t really know much, if youre lucky enough to track one down in the store.

I cant stand that store. They have become what circuit city became in its later years.

#16 1 year ago