Watch Dogs vs GTA not even a thing, says Ubisoft

Thursday, 6th June 2013 21:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

There’s room for “more than one great game in the world”, according to Watch Dogs creative director Jonathan Morin, who doesn’t seem the least bit nervous about going up against Grand Theft Auto 5 this year.

“For the sake of every player out there, I like to believe that there is space for more than one great game in this world,” Ubisoft Montreal’s Morin told MCV.

“I would simply say that Watch Dogs is created by a very talented group of people who desire nothing more than to create something new, fresh and relevant for today’s players.”

Comparisons have been drawn between GTA and Watch Dogs because are urban open worlds, but Morin feels the two are pretty different.

“Controlling an entire city and invading its population provides a completely different way of interacting with your surroundings and offers unprecedented dynamism. For us, it’s about creating a unique experience that feels so natural and immersive it’ll seem impossible to achieve,” he said.

“With Watch Dogs, we want to push gaming forward in our own way. We do play open world games and it surely influenced us in some way. But creating an experience is never about adding elements your neighbours have. It is all about delivering the fantasy and experience you are seeking.”

Neat. As it happens, Watch Dogs has a little breathing room anyway – it’s due in November, while GTA 5 drops in September. Watch Dogs is coming to PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360 and Xbox One; the next-gen platforms are without a release date for now.

1. Tavarish

Can someone explain to me why we use GTA as measurement stick for open world games again?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Phoenixblight

Because it is the most successful.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Kieran

i read different on youtube lol

#3 1 year ago
  4. spazman

Rockstar can disappoint, but not as half as most

#4 1 year ago
  5. ps3fanboy

gta is done anyway and will not be a match for watchdogs.

#5 1 year ago
  6. SlayerGT

@5 Yeah we’ll see.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Tavarish

@2 But shouldn’t we use actually evolved open world games as measurement stick instead of game series that has been very stagnant to evolve? Not just use game series that just happens to sell most because of established brand and very extensive PR campaigns?

Naturally this is fully personal opinion and preference, but for me e.g. Sleeping Dogs would be better measurement stick for open world, GTA like, games. I found Sleeping Dogs to be superior GTA like game when I compared it to previous GTA games that I have played extensively, including GTA 4.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Hcw87

GTA V is going to piss all over anything else coming out this year, and it’ll win Game of the Year by a landslide ahead of The Last of Us. It’s just that easy to predict.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dark

I don’t think watchdogs will be big as GTA V or even IV
    maybe it’s going to be the same size as AC3 at best.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    What the hell are you smoking? :) the only thing Watch Dogs has going for it is that its releasing on more than platforms than GTA V ATM.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Tavarish

@8 It’s just because of established brand, very large and extensive marketing campaign and huge hype train that is rolling on happily. Nothing new under the sun that GTA game will sell like no tomorrow and praised by everyone.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Hcw87

Doesn’t mean it’s not deserving. GTAIV might have disappointed some, but remember it came out in 2008, _FIVE_ years ago. They’ve had plenty of time to make this the best one yet, and i really believe it’ll be as good, or even better than San Andreas/Vice City.

Also ignore the sony fanboy, he actually thinks Saints Row is better than the GTA series. To each his own i guess.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Tavarish

@12 Well I had more fun with Saints Row 3 than I had with GTA 4. GTA 4 was just… dull and boring to play for me personally. It was disappointment for me and far behind of Vice City. Sleeping Dogs, that was a lot what I expected from GTA 4 and had blast playing it.

#13 1 year ago
  14. zinc

Notice how its only 3rd person open -world games that are compared to GTA?

Whats the benchmark for 1st person open -world games ? Morrowwind?

#14 1 year ago
  15. SlayerGT

@12 Thank you…what you said.

You only need to look to every Rockstar game since GTAIV to see how V will “evolve”.

#15 1 year ago
  16. ps3fanboy

@10 don’t believe the hype, ppl are getting tired of the gta concept now… and everyone want some new game with new fresh ideas, watchdogs are gonna bring it, trust me.

#16 1 year ago
  17. SlayerGT

Someone tell me about the fun they had in Saints Row 3.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    I don’t believe most of what you said, but i am planning to buy Watch Dogs.

#18 1 year ago
  19. ps3fanboy

@17 whacking ppl in the head with dildos was one of the funniest moment i have ever had in a video game, saint row3 was awesome…

#19 1 year ago
  20. zinc

@17, Meeting Burt Reynolds… Jet Bikes… Creating a Joker character & Joker-mobile… Killing zombies in the nude…

It was what you made it :)

#20 1 year ago
  21. SlayerGT

@19 anything else? Not to be a dick I’m honestly curious. I completed SR3 and enjoyed it while playing through it, but I don’t enjoy playing it…if that makes sense :D

#21 1 year ago
  22. KineticCalvaria

@19, your first non-troll comment, bravo! *clap* *whooping*

#22 1 year ago
  23. Malmer

@22 Just when I started to believe that ps3fanboy was a parody account to mimic the most annoying fanboy possible, he goes and makes a non-troll comment. My world-view is shattered. :)

#23 1 year ago
  24. KineticCalvaria

@23, now we know his real passion… sex toys.

#24 1 year ago
  25. SlayerGT

@19 Im sorry PS3Fanboy. I asked a question and you were nice enough to oblige and folks now seem bent on giving you shit. Can’t have a fucking conversation anywhere on the internet, Jesus.

#25 1 year ago
  26. ps3fanboy

@25 yeah i know these fainbois ar everywhere…

#26 1 year ago
  27. fearmonkey

I didnt care for GTIV though I did like the characters better than previous versions, Roman being my favorite. The mods that were released for it have been amazing though, and the game looks incredible if you have the PC to run it. I admit id like GTA5 just for the mods I am sure are to come.

Saints row: the third was better in my opinion, and I cant wait for watch dogs.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Reklezztrini

Who is getting tired of the GTA concept? Not me? Especially because they don’t release a game every year like *cough* Call of Duty. GTA will always be at the top of open world games.
    Either way, they shouldn’t be compared.

And Saints Row is dead to me, after they botched SR3 and completely changed the concept of it, I lost interest.

#28 1 year ago
  29. xxJPRACERxx

From what I’ve read and seen of GTA V so far, it’s almost certain to be my GotY! I think nothing on the market can even approach it.

#29 1 year ago
  30. RocknRolla

@PS3fanboy
    Just because YOU think ppl are tired of GTA does absolutely not mean that we are, so speak for your self.. I am allways looking forward for a new GTA game and R* delivers every time flawless., but this time it is going to be legendary! :)

#30 1 year ago
  31. iSh3rlock

GTA is not DONE. GTA IV is among the top 10 xbox live games every time/every month. that’s after 6 years since released!!

so GTA V will be very successful.

watch dogs is just another open world game (they will start to milk it like Assassins). that’s all I have to say.

anyway, I will be buying both games.

I’m not a fanboy, have both PS3 & Xbox 360 (but I like the PS3 better).

#31 1 year ago
  32. redwood

and kids this is why we should never believe in our own hype.. GTA is a legend, watch dogs isn’t even released yet, and they are comparing themselves to gta :P

#32 1 year ago
  33. Clupula

PS3Fanboy, if you didn’t also have like 200,000 alts, I would be willing to make a bet with you that GTA V will outsell Watchdogs, with the stakes being that the loser can never post here again.

But I know you’d just take up one of your other identities, so there’d be no point.

#33 1 year ago
  34. The_Red

Of course not. One looks like a mildy fun game while the other is just the tired GTA formula with a new paint job and 2 additional, stereotypical characters (I know GTA is meant to be a satire but the whole thing hasn’t changed much since GTA3).

#34 1 year ago
  35. Scared 7

@ps3fanboy

You said Watch Dogs is something different (A NEW GAME) this is your comment – ppl are getting tired of the gta concept now… and everyone want some new game with new fresh ideas. But what is GTA V then with three playable characters and alot of other NEW things in a GTA game. No buddy, Watch Dogs is a different game then GTA V, GTA V is more realistic and Watch Dogs is a future world.

Btw on YouTube Watch Dogs had with the Gameplay video 1.568.858 views in one Month, and the last video, the GTA V Gameplay video had 15.929.899 Views in one week and the meter is still running up with GTA V.

First i buy GTA V in Sept and later Watch Dogs in Nov (LOL) i like Openworld games

#35 1 year ago
  36. Atomsk

Well considering one is being released on PC and the other one isnt, I know which one I’ll be playing

#36 1 year ago
  37. Thet Soe

@ps3FanBoy , I am with u :)
    Watch Dogs for the win ^_^

#37 1 year ago
  38. Vic 2.0

Sleeping Dogs gave GTA a beat down long ago. IMO, it’s even better than GTA 5 all things considered.

So if a Sleeping Dog can top GTA, I’m quite sure a Watch Dog can ;)

#38 9 months ago
  39. Animeboy413

I hope, Watch Dogs fails most overrated game of all time

#39 9 months ago
  40. RussellGorall

Rockstar puts the same game out every year, and get critical and consumer acclaim for “taking risks”. I don’t consider Grand Theft Horse to be taking a risk.

Adapt or Die.