Square Enix to discuss the “future of Final Fantasy” on June 11

Wednesday, 5th June 2013 20:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Square Enix will discuss the “future of Final Fantasy” during a pre-E3 event on June 11. The event will take place at 9.00am PDT. During the event, an invite of which was sent out to journalists attending E3, a Q&A with senior vice president Shinji Hashimoto will take place. Hashimoto told D’toid back in February that the firm was working on a next-gen Final Fantasy title, so hopefully fans will hear more next week. Square Enix will be broadcasting its E3 announcements and happenings on show floor live during E3 next week.

1. Clupula

Inb4 Salarta does his typical Rupert Pupkin routine about Toriyama.

2. Ireland Michael

@1 Any criticism against Toriyama is fully deserved. The man is a hack.

3. JGMR

The future? Going back-to-basics I’d say. Reserving your resources on the much-demanded Final Fantasy VII HD and a Final Fantasy I-VI HD Collection…

4. dizzygear

How about taking a good look at the Tales franchise that builds upon the mechanics of every last game instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every installment.

5. Lounds

I want FFIX HD or a PC version at least.

6. Ireland Michael

@5 I would take reinventing the wheel over barely altering the same core gameplay in every iteration. That’s why we get yearly FIFA titles and Call of Duty titles.

7. JGMR

@5 Well, that’s what has been happening. Forcing things to work, which will not work. I’d rather see them perfecting already timeless classics than creating mediocre sequels. ;-)

8. salarta

The “future of Final Fantasy,” also known as “We refuse to learn a lesson from our mistakes, and will put Motomu Toriyama in charge of everything, as well as giving him an FFX-3 and fifty million more FF13 sequels nobody wants.”

Ten years ago, I would have been excited as hell for something like this. Even 5-6 years ago, I would have been skeptical but hopeful that there might be some awesome new announcements I’d been dying to see. Now I just hope they don’t fuck up anything else that was great when it was made. Though even if they do somehow start making good FF games again, I’ve already decided on no Squeenix stuff until a proper Aya Brea game that makes 3rd Birthday noncanon.

@2: Thanks Da Man, I forgot that I was allowed to report people for things like that. I won’t report it for now, but I might in the future, and I’ll keep this article in mind if I do.

@5: You know, I was going to launch into a defense of reinventing the wheel of game mechanics for the FF franchise, but then I realized that what you suggested is actually how the Final Fantasy series operated until FF12. Every main game had turn-based combat, which evolved into Active Time Battle but was still technically turn-based. And until FF12, you were still both dealing in menus and in being able to directly control all members of your party. The only things that changed from game to game were how you get magic and the amount of equipment you could equip.

I think when it comes to gameplay, the FF franchise needs to get back to having multiple pieces of equipment (as in, not just one, two or zero), the ability to directly control all characters in your party, and to an extent customizable magic/skills. If I were in charge of an FF game, I’d also bring back secret characters and airships, and re-emphasize exploration. Also no way in hell would science fiction pre-empt fantasy and mystical elements.

9. Zana

Well there are quite a lot of people who like FFXIII and its sequel but they are not as vocal as the haters so huh, saying “nobody wants” them is not a point.
    However I hope FF will NEVER take a look at Tales of because this series embodies stagnation and shallowness. FF deserves much more than that!

10. salarta

@10: Fair point when being literal, I know both from the FF Confessions tumblr and from common sense that there have to be at least some people that like it. I can even grant that it may be a good game taken entirely on its own terms as something not related to Final Fantasy. That applied to Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, which was an excellent film but should not have been labeled Final Fantasy. It was an extreme exaggeration, but one that I think fits the general sentiment.

I’ve also seen increasing support in recent years for games that are bad or that were bad and used to get near-universally panned, so whether a game is or isn’t popular really has no bearing on actual quality anymore. Crap will sell millions, gold will sell a mere couple thousand.

Speaking of Tales, I’m getting an upcoming game, but I largely haven’t cared about that franchise. The only one I played and enjoyed was Tales of Destiny when it came out. We’ll see how I feel about the one I preordered earlier this week.