“Sam will be back”: Ubisoft teases next-gen Splinter Cell

Friday, 31st May 2013 12:15 GMT By Dave Cook

Splinter Cell won’t end with Blacklist it seems, as the game’s art director Scott Lee has teased more Sam Fisher adventures going into next-gen.

Speaking with ArabicGamers, Ubisoft Toronto dev Lee said, “Sam Fisher and Splinter Cell is a big and very important franchise for Ubisoft, and yes they do support the franchise. Obviously we’re working very hard on current-gen systems and we’re super excited that we’re going to be across all platforms.

“For next-gen there are a lot of plans in the works, obviously we can’t talk about that at the moment but I definitely look forward to seeing Sam in new adventures, bigger and better as we go along. Sam will be back.”

We’ve still got the launch of Splinter Cell Blacklist to get out the way first. It drops on PC, PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360 from August 20 across North America, and from August 23 across Europe.

Thanks OXM.

1. SplatteredHouse

Ubisoft, dear?…STFU about Splintered Cell, and tell me about Rainbow Six. kthxbai! :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. redwood

can sam send someone else?

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

You really want to see a 3rd person, cover based, co-op enabled, cinematic / set-piece driven action game the only barely resembles Rainbow Six?

#3 1 year ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

@3: There’s two parts to consider about Rainbow 6 Patriots, as we knew it. There were clearly designs in place to bring in things like planning stage (you may find online an image of the concept for a multi-player “war-room” like lobby for the feature) and make it a tactical game – but they also did aim to tell a story, through the single-player. A game of two halves? Which, we’ve seen demonstrated an approximation of one early on, once.

Also, they went “dark” for several years, and the creative lead and his team was taken off the project. That could have had any number of effects. So, Rainbow 6 Patriots is an unknown. It’s also an unknown, new from-the-ground-up, reimagined Rainbow Six. You’re so right that I want to see it! :D

#4 1 year ago
  5. Hunam

Ubisoft making a sequel? Well I never.

#5 1 year ago
  6. sidspyker

Ubisoft milking franchises and making them casual? Who saw that coming…

#6 1 year ago
  7. hitnrun

@3 Does anyone actually remember the real Rainbow Six anyway?

If you’ve played it with a controller and regularly survived getting hit by a bullet, you’ve never played Rainbow Six.

#7 1 year ago
  8. AmiralPatate

Speaking of the future of Sam Fisher, eh? I wasn’t aware he had one.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

@7: I wish we would get a bankrobbery game like the old Rainbow Six games.

Though, I have to admit, I don’t think I would be too interested in playing the old Rainbow Six games again.

#9 1 year ago
  10. viralshag

More Splinter Cell is OK with me!

#10 1 year ago
  11. manamana

Ubisoft lost me since Double Agent. They totally lost their way, imo. If not for milking the franchise, I suggest a reboot …

#11 1 year ago
  12. Sadismek

Now Sam will get a new hi-tech crane to help him walk and bludgeon some baddies. Not that it’s a first for Ubi.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Belmont

Part of the PR for next game:
    “Sam has returned,he is younger and more agile.despite being older.
    Sam has a new face,new voice and Grim has bought new boobs and a tighter shirt.”

#13 1 year ago
  14. AmiralPatate

They could do that with a prequel. Splinter Cell: Old School. Play Sam as a frat boy with the mission to spy on the girl’s shower.
    That’d even be a better game than Conviction.

#14 1 year ago
  15. silverstorm

He’s too old to even be in Blacklist and they can’t wait to bring him back for more? Come on ubi

#15 1 year ago
  16. GanthKing

My 1st ever contact with Splinter Cell was Chaos Theory on Ngage, also the best of franchise so far.

#16 1 year ago