Project X Zone trailer shows off Resonance of Fate characters

Tuesday, 28th May 2013 01:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Project X Zone has an enormous cast culled from 29 games published by Capcom, Namco Bandai and Sega, all somehow smooshed together in a 3DS exclusive strategy RPG. You should probably just try it for yourself thanks to a couple of demos, but this trailer, starring a couple of the Resonance of Fate crew, gives some idea of how it all works.

Project X Zone is due in early July. It was developed by Monolith Soft, and has a cast of over 50 characters – although you only use two at a time.

The first of two demos is out now, and features characters from Sakura Wars, Cyberbots, Space Channel 5 and Valkyria Chronicles characters in the Imperial Theater stage from Sakura Wars. Another taster is due on June 27, and will include a Ghosts’n Goblins stage.

1. YoungZer0

Ah yes, Resonance of Fate, the grindiest grinder of the grind.

2. Ristas

Never would i have imagined that i’d read the words “Reonance of Fate” again in gaming news. Not only because it is such a horrible, horrible name but also because it was, as far as i know, a pretty big flop…which depresses me to no end because on the same day final fantasy 13 got released, not only getting better reviews but also selling about Threehoundertthousandfivehundertsixtyseven times more copies.

I think somewhere, in some universe, Reonance of Fate and Lost Odyssey are the jrpg franchises people care about while final fantasy was long ago dragged back behind the barn and shot in the head. Somewhere.

3. Clupula

Resonance of Fate is probably one of my absolute favorite JRPG’s of this entire generation. It’s a shame it sold so poorly.

4. Brenna Hillier

It’s such a divisive game. I always think games that are so equally loved and hated are worth trying, because even if you don’t enjoy it, there’s got to be something in there worth knowing about.

5. Clupula

@4 – That’s very true. We can already see that happening with the reaction to Drakengard 3. Some people are all, “Wah, the graphics look like a PS2 game,” while others are all excited about what the story is going to hold. A lot like the game Cavia developed, Nier, which is another hidden gem from this gen.

As for this, I bought it first day. Everything I saw about it looked like it was going to be awesome and I wasn’t disappointed in anything except how little the battle system is explained, in-game or in the instruction manual. I had to go online to get a full description of what does what and I think that may have contributed to the negative opinions somewhat.

But still, I love the characters, I love the story, I loved the battle system, and I loved the music. It took me 115 hours to platinum it, but I was very happy to play it more than once.

6. dizzygear

@5 Ah yes. Resonance of Fate was the first game i ever platinumed. Its a great game and one of the few titles this gen that really tried something new. Sure it was rough around the edges but i loved every second of it. Well except for that “get a gold star at every arena level” trophy. That was just tedious.

7. DLTDawnlight

Resonance of Fate…the most under appreciated game of all time. And you got Final Fantasy XIII to thank. Leanne is a much better gunner than Lightning.