Xbox One: 8GB RAM, Blu-Ray, new Kinect confirmed

Tuesday, 21st May 2013 18:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One has been revealed in Redmond. Here’s a rundown of the tech under the hood, as well as the new Kinect.

The console houses 5 billion transistors and 8GB of RAM, USB 3.0, a Blu-Ray Drive, native 64-bit architecture, and it’s practically silent.

It also runs on three operating systems, a bespoke Xbox One platform, a kernal of Windows that allows web access and more, then a third that ties them both together.

Kinect houses a 1080p camera and takes 13 billionths of a second to respond to your commands, processing 2GB of data a second to make sure it responds to your voice accurately and at speed. It also tracks your heart rate.

SmartGlass is natively part of the platform, and it will sync with the platform naturally, as well as other household devices.

The controller also responds to the new Kinect sensor so that you can combine motion and joypad controller in tandem.

Read Steph’s full coverage of the Xbox One reveal here if you missed anything from the show.

1. Max Payne

He said ”ROCKET SCIENCE LEVEL STUFF”
    are you kidding me.

#1 1 year ago
  2. CyberMarco

I think he said that for kinect, 2giga-something calculations… or whatever.

#2 1 year ago
  3. EdNorton

First footage of Xbox One – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWnSCKmCa3s

#3 1 year ago
  4. MegaGeek1

And I thought my Galaxy S4 had a ton of bloatware.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

”ROCKET SCIENCE LEVEL STUFF”

then my PC is an Alien spaceship.

#5 1 year ago
  6. monkeygourmet

Hahahaha! So true.

My phone is almost a rocket, I can’t wait! :D

#6 1 year ago
  7. ps4fanboy

atleast the ram is not gddr5

#7 1 year ago
  8. CaptPierce

This just sounds like a PS4 with an Xbox logo on it.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xino

looks like a piece of box!
    what about the controller? doesn’t it have any other functions than to be a xbox 360 clone?

#9 1 year ago
  10. rrw

lol. I guess that why there is alienware

#10 1 year ago
  11. salarta

I absolutely trust the accuracy of voice commands with situations like this.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Kieran

so really theres no difference between this and ps4 really ?

#12 1 year ago
  13. salarta

@12: There are several, but while the things for this seem obvious given we’re talking about it now, PS4 incorporates the Share button, as well as video capture technology, and provides for chatting with other people simultaneously with playing games. Until now, a person that wanted to capture and share video of stuff they did in games had to specially buy hardware to make that happen, and know how to set it up properly (depending on their method). Sony also 1) is focusing heavily on improving the video game experience as a whole, which is something that needs improving unlike for most mediums, and 2) isn’t trying to be everything at the same time, at least not to the detriment of their core focus.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Droid

Looks like an old VCR. Surely they could have designed something nicer than just a black box.

#14 1 year ago
  15. MidlifeAxe

It looks like something you would have in an entertainment setup which I bet is what they were aiming for.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Kieran

yea it does look like a futuristic tape player if that makes sense lol

@13 yea i do agree with you i just meant in terms with performance

#16 1 year ago
  17. powerbuoy

I’ve never owned an Xbox and have a pretty bad history with Microsoft and its Internet Explorer browser as a web developer. But, if Kinect 2 is as responsive as shown in the video AND the next UFC game does 1:1 real time motion capture I’m just going to have to buy this thing.

#17 1 year ago
  18. robmlufc

No DDR 5? That could be a mistake in a few years time when devs are screaming for it.

#18 1 year ago
  19. tmac2011

ill miss the power button circle

#19 1 year ago
  20. ps3fanboy

this gen is an easy win for ps4…

#20 1 year ago
  21. Templar_Dante

I said it a few days ago here, THEY WONT EVEN MENTION WHAT GPU IT HAS (HD7790).
    LULz.

wheres MONKEYGOUMET? I want to laugh lol.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Gheritt White

@5: You know dude, that actually made me laugh out loud. Props to you.

#22 1 year ago
  23. monkeygourmet

Yeah, you were bang on! :)

Was a piece of shit reveal In my opinion: see thread >

#23 1 year ago
  24. BrutalZen

I just hope Microsoft won’t translate some commands to the native languages of several countries (like in my case Dutch) or, and probably the better option, will give you the choice to use other languages to control your console.

Also, this console just dropped down from my ‘want at launch’ list to ‘when it will be released in a ultra slim version’ list. It’s just freaking massive.

#24 1 year ago