Steam update adds player levels based on community badges

Wednesday, 15th May 2013 09:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Valve has rolled out a new update on Steam which assigned gamers a personal level based on their community achievements, and linked to the store’s badge system.

PCGamesN reports that the Steam update has rolled out across many territories, and depending on how many community badges you unlock, the higher your level will be.

Reddit users have collated an image gallery of Steam grabs, to give you an idea of what the new-look profiles are like. Check it out here.

I logged in to Steam and my profile hadn’t changed, but then again I’m rarely on it.

Has your profile updated? Let us know below.

1. ballz

they turning this into facebook shit
    fix the fucking profile lag and client, e dont need no fucking profile achievemnts

#1 11 months ago
  2. Hirmetrium

This makes great sense when most of the community badges can’t be unlocked because you either:
    1. Haven’t been a steam member long enough or
    2. The events for them have finished and you have no chance.

#2 11 months ago
  3. NeoSquall

Just logged in, no change yet.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Ireland Michael

Seems like a completely frivolous and utterly pointless addition. The client is fine as it is. It really doesn’t need this sort of stuff.

#4 11 months ago
  5. DreamCleaver

@4 I totally agree with you. What a fucking waste of time.

#5 11 months ago
  6. DuckOfDestiny

How about they upgrade the speed of the store and community pages instead?

#6 11 months ago
  7. DreamCleaver

@6 I don’t think that’ll happen anytime soon. It seems as though Valve wants to retain Steam’s general clunk-iness for as long as possible. It’s even worse if it’s been running for awhile. Oh, God, how slow it becomes then.

#7 11 months ago
  8. iSmithyyHD

Personally, I couldn’t care less about these new Steam badges and everything in the new profile layout. I like the old one better so I think they should make this new update optional so that those who want in on it can do so but those who don’t can stick with the old/ current one. Somehow mines been updated to the new one and I haven’t joined a group neither am I signed up in the Beta Updates. Is there anyway I can revert back to the old profile, since not all of my information is view-able by my friends.

#8 11 months ago