New screenshots show off Final Fantasy X-2′s HD upgrade

Thursday, 9th May 2013 14:41 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Square Enix has released a selection of screenshots of the Final Fantasy X-2 part of the Final Fantasy X HD releases, showing how the game has been improved and upgraded for the PS3 and Vita release.

The screens show off Yuna, Rikku and Paine on their costume-changing adventure that divided fans. The cleaned-up high resolution textures end up looking pretty lovely.

Final Fantasy X-2 HD will launch as part of one package with FFX on PS3 and separately on Vita. Both will be out in 2013.

1. Peetry

Depending on the early reviews on the quality of the inter-connect-ability of the PS4 and the PS Vita, I am now seriously considering getting one now. The fact that remote play is pre-baked requiring little if any effort from developers, I can see the sales of Vita picking up significantly in the year after the PS4 launch. That said I’m still not willing to buy one yet

#1 1 year ago
  2. salarta

I’d complain about this more, but I really can’t expect anything different from Squeenix than to re-release this game when the consumer base for video games has lately shown that they want female characters to be treated poorly even when they’re the main protagonists.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dark

I wish more JRPG developers will make more characters designs like this.

but instead we get shit like this ..

#3 1 year ago
  4. salarta

@3: Squeenix was considering maid costumes for FFX-2. And these designs didn’t fit the characters in the first place. I don’t see how we can complain about Neptunia yet give Squeenix a pass for trying to change an established character into something completely different.

#4 1 year ago
  5. theevilaires

Taking you back to the golden age of gaming. I’m so buying this for my Vita. This game made me realize two things growing up. 1. That an all female cast in a video game can work and that you can relate to what they’re going through even if you’re a guy. 2. That real life women would/could never be this kick ass because all they do is whine,bitch and moan all day. (Can’t wait until Quantic Dreams Kara becomes a reality).

Anyway this game has one of the best Final Fantasy openers and I can’t wait to see it in HD. Enjoy noobs.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Sylrissa

To each their own, personally my best friend and I really enjoyed this game. I’ll be picking this up for sure.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Metroid455

#3 lOL someone doesn’t understand MOE!! there’s nothing wrong with it, do me a favor and stop hating on something you don’t understand.

On topic I honestly don’t care about Lighting Returns! X-2 was one of my favorite FF’s so im looking forward to this (^-^)

#7 1 year ago
  8. zardmander

Great game, never completed either fully when i was younger. Definitely will now when this comes out. This + kingdom hearts 1.5 hd, gonna be a good year. Id love if they did FFXII up like this, game already looked good for coming out at the end of the ps2 era, would look even better than this id imagine.

#8 1 year ago
  9. lexph3re

I love it, Just like all my classics I prefer them to be portable. Will get these for Vita on release. That way I know when I upgrade to PS4 I won’t have to lug my ps3 out to play this

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dark

@7 , i understand MOE .. it’s also the cancer that killed the anime industry and it’s killing the JRPG right now.

since you are defending shit like this then you are probably one the crazy Otaku’s ..

grow the fuck up and be a man.

#10 1 year ago
  11. salarta

Welp, given how thoroughly FFX-2 was demolished ten years ago for poor story yet it’s being propped up as some kind of great story today, I think it’s safe to say that standards for quality have eroded considerably over the past decade. Which in turn makes it all the more obvious why other recent games that have done things badly are treated like epic masterpieces.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Metroid455

#10, BWHAHAHA so much ignorance I don’t know where to start, maybe if you were living in Japan like me you’d understand but it’s obvious you don’t. as for the pic: so because im a moe fan you assume I have my room looking like that? yet more ignorance lol just stop your embarrassing yourself!!(^-^)

#12 1 year ago
  13. salarta

@10: Oh, okay. And since you’re defending FFX-2, that obviously means your sole reason for liking FFX-2 is because you’re a horndog pervert in the same manner as Brother (or rather, Toriyama’s terrible self-insert reimagining of him) in the game, drooling over near-adults that act like preteen girls. That must be 100% accurate, just like everyone that’s cool with Neptunia has to be the way you described them. It’s absolutely impossible for people to be any other way.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dark

@13 i’m not really defending FFX-2 or anything .. but my point was about FF characters being more realistic compared to the rest of the JRPGs.
    maybe FF wasn’t the best example for that but you got the point.

#14 1 year ago
  15. theevilaires

I feel the same way Lex. I want all my classics on my Vita now. Just wish the Vita came with 32GB of internal memory with 128GB expansion port :(

#15 1 year ago
  16. Metroid455

#13 look buddy i could give you a BIG wall of text about JPOP culture over here but somehow I still don’t think you’d fully understand, what western culture see’s as weird doesn’t mean it’s seen that way here and vice-versa,

believe it or not being Otaku is becoming more mainstream here and no longer frowned upon like it used to be 10 years ago not to mention the rise of more and more Female Otaku. And no im not a horndog.

oops i guess have given you a wall of text sorry!!

#16 1 year ago
  17. Rockin a Jack D

Too bad the game is shit. No make over could hide the smell of this game.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Da Man

The game’s shit, and so is the platform it’s on, along with the network, pad and pricing.

#18 1 year ago
  19. salarta

@16: You’re missing the point of my post. The point was to say that it’s wrong to assume someone is a “crazy otaku” just because they like Neptunia or its style, just as it’s wrong to say someone that supports a misogynistic game is doing so because they must be a misogynist. It might be okay to say it on a generalized scale, but saying it about a specific person is to assume you know that specific person is that way.

I don’t care about otaku culture, the only thing I’m concerned about is that I don’t want to see companies force a gimmick or concept onto something where it doesn’t belong. FFX-2 is one such case out of many. If FFX-2 was a brand new IP, I wouldn’t give a damn any which way. I don’t think expecting companies to have some actual quality and standards is asking much, but it seems like it is in this day and age where people eagerly lap up reboots that force ideas for brand new IPs onto an existing ones. Of course, all built on knowing modern consumers are too stupid to notice and try out new IPs, and too selfish and disrespectful to appreciate what came before.

#19 1 year ago
  20. dizzygear

“…the only thing I’m concerned about is that I don’t want to see companies force a gimmick or concept onto something where it doesn’t belong. FFX-2 is one such case out of many.”

What?
    If i recall correctly they made FFX-2 at the time because they had a shitload of leftover assets from FFX’s development.

Stop being a drama queen.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DarkElfa

I decided a long time ago that it would be a PS4 for me.

#21 1 year ago
  22. salarta

@20: It was more to make easy money off of a popular game by reusing most of their assets, just like we saw happen with FF13, another entry that was headed by Toriyama. And having leftover assets doesn’t make the completely inappropriate change in tone or completely nonsensical and flat out wrong reinterpretations of character like Yuna, Rikku or Brother somehow okay.

Just like with 3rd Birthday and FF13, Toriyama took an existing IP and its characters and forced ideas for new IPs into it where they don’t belong. It simply boggles my mind that the video game industry is so pathetically eroded for quality that they put up with this stuff. Book readers would never say that changing Lord of the Rings to science fiction as official continuity is appropriate, nor would film fans be for Psycho turned into a Blues Clues knockoff. Yet here we are, urging video game companies to turn very serious and thoughtful franchises into brainless pop fluff full of childish behavior and pushing the sexual components up to creepy pervert territory.

#22 1 year ago
  23. ayb91

Indeed, it looks lovely. can’ wait to finish Bevell Tower which was impossible to me back then and complete 100% of this game. Challenge accepted :D

#23 1 year ago
  24. Clupula

Can’t wait to play this on my PS3 (fuck the portable versions. These were meant to be played on a big screen). I have fond memories of my ex and I playing X and X-2, back to back during the Spring. Personally, I love the cheesiness and humor that is in X-2. I think I especially was amused by how butthurt the fanboys got. “Oh noes, Yuna is in Charlie’s Angels now! Waaah! We want her chaste and unhappy!” Hahahaha…

The only negative I can say about this (and X) is that I’m sure Blitzball will still suck as much as it always did. I don’t think I will ever platinum either of these two games, simply due to the presence of that awful pseudo-sport. If I wanted to play a sport, I’d buy a Madden game.

Otherwise, this is awesome. Amusingly Rikku’s CGI model always reminded me of someone else I used to know.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Clupula

I’ll be honest, if I could right now, I would totally give Claire and Jill a makeover like this in RE7, just to annoy Salarta. Then I’d try to talk to Tecmo about putting them in their next DOA volleyball game, in the tiniest outfits possible.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Clupula

@5 – You just haven’t met the right women then if you think that there aren’t real ones who are as cool as the X-2 characters.

#26 1 year ago