Sony allows developers to become PS Mobile publishers for free

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 15:44 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Sony are to waive the fee that would-be PlayStation Mobile developers are usually charged in order to encourage more developers to bring quality mobile games to the platform.

It usually costs mobile developers £65 (€80) to license themselves to become a publisher on the PlayStation Mobile platform – but Sony is doing away with that fee. Developers who want to take them up on this offer can bring existing games or upcoming ones to the PlayStation Mobile ecosystem at no cost beyond the development cost.

PlayStation Mobile includes the Vita but also other ‘certified’ devices including Sony phones and tablets.

More information on Sony’s good will gesture to mobile developers can be found on the official PlayStation Blog and the Mobile Developer Portal. The fee is waived as of today.

1. deathm00n

Playstation Mobile would be good if all Xperia phones had it. I have an Xperia U and it’s better than some of the new phones, it could easily handle the games from Playstation Mobile (I’ve saw my brother playing them on his Xperia Play), but doesn’t have it. Sony is a mess in the cellphone department.

#1 1 year ago
  2. CycloneFox

Great news. ^^

@deathm00n: Well thats too bad, especially because you have a good phone. My phone is about one year too old, too. But you have to make a cut somewhere.

But I hate to play on my mobile anyway. I’ve got a Vita for that.

#2 1 year ago
  3. theevilaires

I just want an official PlayStation app for my android phone. Is that too much to ask for SONY?

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

There is one on IOS?

Are you seriously telling me you can get one on iPhone but not Sony Xperia Play?!

#4 1 year ago
  5. CyberMarco

Let’s hope someone will create a decent app for PC remote play.

You can have PSM on a rooted android phone.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DrDamn

@MG
    Only available for certified devices. I.e. Xperia range plus some HTC and a few others.

In fact go here … http://www.playstation.com/psm/store/en.html

Certified devices in there too, mainly Sony, HTC and Sharp.

#6 1 year ago
  7. theevilaires

I have the new HTC ONE and I can’t get an official PlayStation app. Only people in Europe can get it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. zinc

^ I got the HTC one SV to replace my Xperia Neo V. BIG mistake, especially as Sony have just released the Xperia SP :-(

Asked to exchange as soon as I saw it :-)

#8 1 year ago