Fable MMO: Molyneux sheds light on Lionhead’s brainstorming

Friday, 3rd May 2013 12:35 GMT By Dave Cook

Fable as an MMO could do “reasonably well,” according to former Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux. The 22 Cans founder has shed light on the team’s brainstorming around the project while he was involved.

Speaking with IGN, Molyneux said, “When we were brainstorming what to do next in Fable, there was always a, ‘Maybe we should go and do the MMO route?’

“There were theories about how you would level up and class up and what the classes would be and so on, but we never got out of the brainstorming segment of that.”

Although the Fable MMO concept never broke through the theoretical stage, Molyneux suggested that it could absolutely work, but that certain elements would have to be retained for it to be popular.

“I can see that that would work,” he said. “The thing about Fable is that it was such a rich world. It was, well, what the name says it is. It’s all about Fable and Albion and this idea of legends and humour. RPGs are great for MMO transitions.

“I can see that that concept works, and works quite well. I think the charm of Fable was in the feeling of the world and definitely the humour. If they keep that in an MMO, then there’s no reason why it shouldn’t do reasonably well, I don’t think.”

What do you think? Should Lionhead turn Fable into an MMO? Could it be the unannounced Unreal Engine 4 project currently in-development at the studio? Let us know what you think below.

Thanks Gamespot.

1. Gheritt White

Inevitable.

#1 1 year ago
  2. deathm00n

“RPGs are great for MMO transitions.” Really? Who would have guessed that? This guy is a genius! :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. viralshag

Don’t bother. Just make a game that’s better than the last two. Although I did like them, I didn’t think they were as good as the first Fable, which is one of my favourite games ever.

PM gets too caught up in his own ideas that he thinks are really radical like the companionship of the dog which ended up mostly being a walking treasure detector and “touch, everyone loves touching bla bla” which was a simple hand holding mechanic that he raved on about.

#3 1 year ago
  4. KipsterED

Fable needs to do the prequel next. Lionhead has done such a fantastic job of laying out this rich history of Albion. How about a game where the character plays in the days of the Archon and the founding of the Guild. I think that would spark the interest of all Fable fans.

#4 1 year ago
  5. GwynbleiddiuM

RPGs sure, but I’m not sure any of Fable games were ever RPG. Even the Lost Chapter which was a decent and likable games was a glorified adventure action at best.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Calryon

I’m with KipsterED, I want to know & experiencce more around the early days of the guild.

#6 1 year ago
  7. noamlol2

MMO? well that’s unnessercy
    just give us a better game then the last two and include PvP FFS

co-op is boring after a while

#7 1 year ago