2K Games won’t have a booth at E3 2013

Friday, 26th April 2013 20:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

2K Games won’t have a booth on the floor at E3 this year, despite one of Take Two’s biggest titles hitting in September, and the Civ V expansion on the way, not to mention the new XCOM. According to a post on the 2K forums, the publisher will instead be using Twitch and its YouTube channels to discuss its ware leading up to the June event. 2K doesn’t specifically state it or Take-Two won’t have a presence at the event, just that it won’t have anything on the showroom floor. We’ll see if we can get a clarification. The post noted to “stay tuned for our live gameplay and event broadcasts.” Thanks Splatteredhouse.

1. Stephany Nunneley

This apparently got lost on the doc someplace. I even put it there myself. Better late than never I suppose. Thanks again Splattered.

#1 1 year ago
  2. theevilaires

Everyone is going to be overshadowed by SONY and Microsoft so why even show up. I rather SONY and Microsoft have 3 hour shows that be shown stupid sport games anyway. Nintendo I have lost all respect for them. What a bunch of cowards. Because they will be overshadowed and made fun of compare to the PS4 they’re afraid of SONY once again stealing any kind of thunder from them.

I just bought two fucking Wii U’s last year and they’re going to run away scared from SONY this year. I hope their stock drop and never goes back up.

#2 1 year ago
  3. CyberMarco

@TEA – You are contradicting yourself there, you don’t hesitate to bash Nintendo and praise SONY, but still you’ve bought 2 Wii-Us and also want Nintendo to fail, thus making your investment even more crappier. On a side note, you are from the US, right? I suppose English is your primary language, but I have a hard time going through your writings…

On topic, I think 2K realized that it doesn’t have money to spare for a fanfare at E3 and rather want to deliver more info regarding its games through cheaper channels, like Youtube.

Also Nintendo is on a good/bad situation at the same time. It’s smart for them not to waste money and time at E3, going against 2 major console reveals and taking the chance to flop, but still it’s a risk because it shows that it’s in some kind of limbo regarding its future products.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

E3 is irrelevant.

It is a reality. I don’t see a reason why 2K should be there or Nintendo. the problem with E3 is that there are too many products and games and it’s a summer time.

It is time to let it go. Let E3 DIE!

@4, Relax, he didn’t buy any WiiU and he is just a Playstation fanboy. That’s it. End of story.

#4 1 year ago
  5. CyberMarco

Yeah, Erthazus is right (man the irony, joking :p). E3 was relevant in the previous years, even more on the pre-Xbox360/PS3/Wii era because it was the biggest event of the year, and 1 of the greatest ways to gather devs, the press and consumers in one happening.

But nowadays we have the Internet which is a much cheaper and more successful way to reach your audience compared to big-budget events like E3.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Joe Musashi

Well, something beginning with “E” is irrelevant, that’s for sure.

JM

#6 1 year ago
  7. Bringit

I am confused… What big game does 2K have coming out in September?

#7 1 year ago
  8. OnionPowder

@7 Besides GTA V I don’t know.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Bringit

That’s not 2k

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

@7 2K Games is a division of Take Two which houses sports games and Bioshock, Rockstar Games (GTA RDR/RD) is a division of Take Two as well.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Bringit

Yes. But that’s not 2K. Take-Two has stated 2K doesn’t have a booth. No word on Rockstar.

Although Rockstar rarely ever go to E3.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OnionPowder

Yep everybody is right and I’m an idiot. I got them mixed up with Take-Two carry on.

#12 1 year ago
  13. theevilaires

@Cybermarco…How am I doing that? I didn’t know Nintendo would punk down from SONY at E3 because they are doing so poor with the Wii U. Lets face it the only reason why they won’t go big this year is because the focus will be on SONy and Microsoft and that everyone will be up their ass trashing them on how they plan to compete….answer is they can’t so they rather be little bitches and duck out like some COD camping pussies.

I bought two Wii U’s because I wanted to see Nintendo rise back to the glory days of the hardcore. believe it or not but there was once a time I was a raving Nintendo fan. The SNES was my first game console but now I can’t stand Nintendo. They make me sick with all that casual BS* SONY is the future of gaming and always will be and Nintendo are a bunch of scared bitches hiding from SONY’s next console again just like with their so called gamecube 2 only this time they won’t get lucky anymore like they did 6 years ago.

Nintendo do me and the rest of the world a favor and just go software based only. I bought 2 Wii U’s just for you to not announce anything this E3….thanks ass holes. I support you but you don’t support me…great!

#13 1 year ago
  14. The_Red

No GTA at E3 is one thing. Heck, it’s a normal thing but NO booth for 2K at all?

I wasn’t really convinced after Nintendo’s move and while this isn’t a huge blow, it is a worrying one. Definitely hope others don’t follow suit because I love E3, even with its PR parades, hilariously bad shows and other “problems”.

#14 1 year ago
  15. ThatGamerGuyHezron

The funny thing is, I actually agree with theevilaires

#15 1 year ago
  16. aleph31

Is it possible that they are in financial trouble (like everyone else and their mother these days) and thus they are trying to save some money?

You know, it’s just that I don’t believe E3 is not relevant anymore, so looking for a probable cause here.

#16 1 year ago
  17. The_Red

I don’t think so. They recently had a huge hit with Borderlands 2 and right now, BioShock I is selling better than previous 2 games. Plus while not directly, there is GTA5 in their near future (I know, TT but still).

We know Activision likes hosting its own parties and events outside the main E3 location so, maybe they would want to do the same. I just hope these moves (Ninty and 2k) doesn’t affect others. Sure, E3 is a PR show but it still a pretty fun one to watch / follow (Though I understand that it’s a HELLISH week for poor journalists that have to cover the games and interviews).

#17 1 year ago
  18. aleph31

@17 yep you’re right, good post.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Stephany Nunneley

@12 No you’re not. xxoo It was my way of wording it which caused the head scratching.

#19 1 year ago
  20. AmeriToast

I do think that E3 is becoming less and less important year after year which I have to say makes me sad. Ive been watching it since it first started and I have noticed that its glory days are past.

I wasn’t expecting much from sony or MS last year (especially MS). So I just recorded it and watched it like 2 days later. The last 2 have been quite a disappointment for me. I only have an xbox and sony hasn’t really made any games made me want to get a ps3 again. All the great games the last 2 years have been multiplat so there was no reason to get a ps3.

I hope this one brings out alot of great games and good conferences because they are getting harder and harder to watch each year.

#20 1 year ago
  21. OlderGamer

I also tend to think E3 has lost its importance. Not to the biggest fish in the pond but to the medium and smaller guys. Mostly it has become an event about who can make the most noise.

This year all that is needed is Sony and MS to host shows. Not much else will make any sort of headlines. It is like with Nintendo. What are they going to do? What can they do? They could show Zelda, Metroid, Pikmen, Bayoneta 2, and a host of other big name games for WiiU and the only thing people will do is say they “Lost”. They can’t win. Nothing positive can come out of E3 for Nintendo.

To reach Nintendo fans, Nintendo uses Nintendo Direct. It is streamed video in the eshop. It highlights new games and new hardware features. Show you video of up and coming games. etc. That used to be what E3 was for. Showing off up and coming games to the gamers.

But now, more then ever, the media is a monster to be impressed/bought/influenced for the all important attention grabing headlines strewn out across the internet. Once you get that ball rolling in your favor you are good. So todays E3 is crafted with that purpose. That is why deep pockets from the big boys is where it is at.

What if you have a small game, are a small studio? E3 really the place for you? This year, with PS4 and XBnxt coming out? I wouldn’t focus too much on E3 unless I was a power player. It is crucial for Sony, important to MS. But to most of the fish in the pond? I don’t think it holds the same level of relevence it once did.

#21 1 year ago
  22. ManuOtaku

#21 I agree OG 100%

#22 1 year ago
  23. Christopher Jack

@21, The problem is Nintendo Direct isn’t exactly relevant to expanding Nintendo’s audience. Nintendo certainly weren’t going to ‘win’ E3 however I think it’s just a wasted opportunity at showing off what the Wii U has to offer, I mean if even Nintendo themselves don’t think it’s worth showing what the Wii U has to offer what’s to give potential Wii U owners any hope?

#23 1 year ago