Curiosity update includes option to “re-grow” cubes

Friday, 19th April 2013 18:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

An update for the Curiosity app is available, and it includes an option to “re-grow” cubes via in-app purchases.

Various blocks of new cubes will run you varying amounts. For example: £0.69 will add 10,000 cublets while £4.99 adds 100,000 and so on.

Users can also remove the same numbers of cublets using the pricing scheme noted above, which 22Cans boss Peter Molyneux hopes will cause a “war of attrition”.

“We don’t know quite what will happen,” he said. “Curiosity may very well rapidly degrade to reveal its innermost secret or maybe the effects of automatically removing cubelets will be neutralised by players keen to keep Curiosity going.”

According to Eurogamer, users as of the time of the report, had paid to remove 13,780,000 cublets while adding 4,680,000, for a total difference of -9.1 million cublets on the next layer.

EG says the “new features will be deactivated two layers before the end of the cube.”

1. The_Red

Wait, what? I am I reading this right. Really? PAY to “re-grow”? I’d love to see gamers pay for creeps and other enemies to be respawned in MMOs… And more. Capcom’s bew DLC strategy could learn a thing or two from the “genius” of Molyneux.

2. monkeygourmet

The suspicious person within me says:

Molyneux’s company can ‘regrow’ the cube and say other players have done it, this creating an endless amount of people paying him in micro transactions to find out what’s inside…

How do we know an ACTUAL player has purchased a new layer?

3. deathm00n

@2 How do we know if there IS something inside this damn cube? I still think it is infinite and he’s just grabbing some money from people

4. viralshag

There are actually mugs still tapping away at this utter waste of time. And now paying for it?

So they added a way to make people think there might actually be an end to this and charge you for it? Despite not a really coming close to revealing it anyway?

I’m sorry if I’m being ignorant, which might be the case but I can’t believe this shit is still going…

5. monkeygourmet

Only one way to find out?

Tap tap £ tap tappy $ tip tap tapperoo €

:D

6. yeoung

I actually think the cube collects funding for a yet unannounced game he’d make. Like a fund-raising app.

Perhaps though that’s just me being optimistic, would be a nice twist though

7. Kabby

People paying money for this tripe need to be sectioned for their own good.

8. sh4dow

What #7 said.

Almost. I would be more of a fan of mandatory vasectomies/tube ligations. Because people who participate in this idiotic thing should NOT be able to reproduce.