Darkstalkers Resurrection: Capcom boss “disappointed” in early sales

Thursday, 11th April 2013 06:39 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Capcom USA senior vice president Christian Svensson is kicking himself a bit over Darkstalkers Resurrection, which hasn’t sold as strongly as he apparently expected.

Writing on Capcom Unity, Svensson said Dakrstalkers Resurrection’s debut in the March PSN charts wasn’t up to snuff.

“Sadly, it’s not as high on that list as it really needs to be to be successful,” he said.

“We’re working on promotions and the like to improve the situation. We’ve not given up. But I’m disappointed in the opening sales response relative to any other fighting title we’ve put out on the same platforms given the frequency and urgency of requests we’ve had here over the last several years and the quality of the execution.”

The executive said Darkstalkers Resurrection is the most fully featured and possibly best fighter re-release the publisher has produced.

“And before people jump to the wrong conclusions, I’m not blaming fans who did buy it and supported the brand. I’m very thankful for those guys (thank you, to all of you),” he added.

“I’m more disappointed by my misread of the information in this particular case.”

Earlier this week, Svensson hinted that Capcom’s fighter re-releases hadn’t been doing particularly well, saying the publisher would slow down on the as it seems the novelty is wearing off. Svensson is popular among Capcom fans for his openness regarding business matters and his regular championing of much-requested projects; he was behind the Ducktales Remastered initiative, for example.

Thanks, Siiliconera.

1. Clupula

I am a Darkstalkers fan who didn’t download it, yet. I think the thing that kept it from being an immediate download is that it’s still two separate games. It’s still Darkstalkers 3 and Night Warriors, instead of combining them into one game with all the characters, all the backgrounds, etc…

It was great to play as those characters again in the demo, but it’s really inconvenient to have to switch out from one game if I want to play as Donovan and then switch out to another if I want to play as B. B. Hood.

#1 1 year ago
  2. OmegaSlayer

That’s when you wait too late for something.
    Plus…………………..
    Between my friends lots of people is boycotting every Capcom product for various reasons:
    A) Resident Evil’s direction
    B) DmC’s direction
    C) Megaman’s destiny
    D) DLCs on disc
    E) Games with endings in DLC (Asura’s Wrath)
    F) Monster Hunter skipping PS3 and 360.
    G) Handing key properties development to Western developers

I think that before doing anything new, and reap rewards, Capcom should get back on track on this stuff.

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

We all know that if DSR sold more units, Capcom would have just released a “Super DSR” or “Enhanced edition” the includes other missing DS games and features.

These stupid re-re-re-releases (MK9: Komplete Edition, Super SS4, Super SS4: Arcade Edition, Ultimate MvC3, BlazBlue ++ and more) are really ruining the fighting games.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DeVitowned

I may be well behind the curve here, but who the fuck asked for Ducktales Remastered?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

@3 – Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition is just the regular game with all the DLC included. It’s no different from a Game of the Year edition. And Arcade Edition was also available as DLC to anyone who had Super SF4.

I do agree with UMVC3 and the 900 BlazBlue iterations, though.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Judicas

Best fighter re-release they have ever published? What… have they completely forgotten super street fighter 2 turbo hd remix?? That’s the one and ONLY re-release that’s truly been revamped/remade/rereleased in true HD.

#6 1 year ago
  7. OlderGamer

I have stoped buying PSN/XB Live games untill I know more about PS4/XBnxt BC. I feel like I am throwing my money away if I am unable to play those games in the new systems.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Vice

Yeah let’s sell an ancient game and expect high profits. Make a proper sequel dammit, and not on this pitiful SF4 engine…

#8 1 year ago