Durango not “always online,” contains XTV, new 360 SKU makes it backwards compatible

Wednesday, 10th April 2013 20:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A trio of next-Xbox rumors have surfaced today, and no matter whether the sources call it Xbox 720 or Durango, keep in mind we will know nothing for sure until Microsoft announces something. Click the break for today’s lowdown.

Xbox TV, or XTV if you will

First up, Superannuation has dug up information pertaining to the TV services the next console will contain.

According to a resume dug up by the Internet sleuth, a Microsoft engineer noted he worked on the Video Cognition team which was the result of Microsoft’s acquisition of VideoSurf, which developed tech which “catalogued and tagged videos by scanning audio and visual content of videos.”

MS will supposedly be using the VideoSurf tech “to radically change the way we watch TV,” using gestue and voice control to “streamline the way viewers search, consume, and share content, minimizing the time spent searching for programs, while maximizing the viewing and sharing capacities.”

Super points out this could mean MS plans to integrate its next Xbox with television content leading credence to the rumors that there will be two-SKUs with the upcoming console: one which is a set-top box and the other a console with all the bells ans whistles.

A couple presentation images mentioning “xTV” were also dug up, stating it was part of “multiplatform ecosystem that will allow a user to finish a television episode they were previously watching on their train ride home,” wrote Super. This was also mentioned in the 56-page manifesto which was leaked much to the chagrin of MS and its lawyers last year.

Via Kotaku.

No “always online”; new Xbox 360 add-on for backwards compatibility

Another report today over on VGLeaks stated that the next-box, codenamed Durango, will contain the dreaded always-online internet component – plus, it will be backwards compatible with your old Xbox 360 due to an add-on coming to the aging consoles.

The site’s source told it that while it will have always-online functionality, it will not prevent the use of second hand games nor bar people from playing local content when they are without Internet.

Furthermore, a smaller, more stripped down 360 will be arriving on shelves for around $149 or less. This sku will act more like a set-top media box with Xbox 360 and XBLA game support and it may not have disc drive.

“Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware,” says the report.

This means all content will need to be downloaded digitally. Should it be connected with Durango, users can use their disc-based Xbox 360 games on their Durango console with the small add-on Xbox.

Think of it as MS’s version of Google or Apple TV.

Thanks, CVG.

Kinect will be able to detect your shifty eyes

Finally, The Verge is reporting that this new, set-top Xbox will not only contain various channels and support for cable services, but that the next Kinect will be able to detect eye movements as well as several bodies at once.

Want to pause content? Turn your head away from the TV. Seriously. That was what The Verge was told.

No telling what else you will be able to do with it. Maybe fast forward by blinking constantly. Turning it off when you close your eyes for a period of time. I jest. I have no clue, really.

If all of this is true, eventually, it will be hard for us to discern whether we are indeed in the Matrix or not – despite the food tasting good.

Hit up all the links for more rumors and better information.

The next Xbox is rumored to be revealed on May 21.

1. The_Red

“it will not prevent the use of second hand games nor bar people from playing local content when they are without Internet. ”

Wait what? Then it’s not “always-online”, is it? Didn’t they say that programs will stop after 3 minutes of being offline? Hope the new ones are correct.

2. Francis O

Pay for Xbox Live – Check. Pay for an attachment to play Xbox games – Check. Microsoft not giving a damn about gamers – Check. Skype and TV Tuners for the Win? Pachter says check!

This system is a joke, outside of the two to three relevant franchises MS still has, I do not see why anybody would buy the Xbox 720, when the PS4 and Wii U offer free online play and better first party exclusives.

3. OlderGamer

I am kind of bored with rumors tbh.

4. theevilaires

^ agreed 1000% They need to just come out and announce the damn thing already or its true what SONY said. The next gen don’t start until they say so and SONY said so two months ago.

5. Lengendaryboss

Aren’t we all, when MS announce the 720 all of this will be put to an end.

6. ps3fanboy

LMAO! SONY HAS ALREADY WON NEXT GEN

7. Tech-N9ne

Finally some positive news on the next Xbox, no drm and always online stuff for you to bitch about and you had to dig up this crap. MS has two or three relevant franchises? You have no clue at all what kinda company Microsoft is do you.

8. Stephany Nunneley

@3 Imagine our position. :p *pulls new gray hairs out of her coif*

9. OlderGamer

I hear ya Steph, and you guys gotta print it too. Part of the teritory.

But I am fed up with it. Not at you guys obviously. But the constant trickle of what it might be, what it might not be. Going to be a long wait to E3.

I can only think that maybe MS is making some last min changes or they would have squashed a few of these rumor bugs. Some of them make their new system look pretty undesirable. But also makes me wonder, if they aren’t setting the record straight…maybe their is more to these rumors then fans might like.

E3 can’t get here fast enough.

10. Wen3

Yes Xbox won’t really be an awesome gaming machine …..digital games only come on dudes PS4 will rule buy one and observe what microsoft will do……let’s just observe micrsoft peeps……you can see all they want is your money

11. Fin

Hmmm, hooopefully this is true. I’m hoping it’s a tactical leak, due to the mild dislike of always online.

We’re see.

12. OlderGamer

You know Gad was right, the amount of trolls around here are bad.

Not for nothing, but Wen3 and PS3fanboy(lol gotta love it). We don’t know enough about the system to know if it will or won’t be much of anything. A little early to throw in the towel at this point.

Tho both of you might be interested to know I have already signed up on a prelist to preorder a PS4. A prelist? lol, maybe I need the break.

I thought it best to keep my options open. Wouldn’t hurt for others to do the same.

13. CyberMarco

The add-on for backwards compatibility sounds really interesting. I wonder if SONY could implement something like that.

14. OlderGamer

I don’t know if I fully understand the value for the add on tho Cyber, do you? I mean wouldn’t you be able to use your xb360? Unless they are planning to take the 360 services offline…and I doubt they would, too many users out there.

I guess I just don’t get it. An add on to be able to use xb360 games when you could just use the xb360. I guess I get it if it saves room or something. But still i have to think the market fo rthat is kind of low. Just sounds fishy to me.

15. The_Red

@OlderGamer
    You know, this could really be bad for MS (Being tired). I’m pretty sure everyone is tired of this endless rumors but in way, this means we are also kinda tired of hearing about next Xbox.

If that’s the case, even an official announcement from MS won’t help. They’ve let these rumors linger for far too long and most people have kinda lost the remainder of their interest. It’s as if we have been dealing for 720 for months, long before official reveal in May.

16. zinc

@OG, Your one of the biggests trolls here!

Do you know how upset EA get when they read your vitriolic posts about their business strategy?

17. Wen3

Sony doesn’t need to implement the shiity backward stuff …..we are moving forward dudes……and gaikai cloud will make a subscription thing and we will play the whole of the playstion history …….that will be cool it may not be at launch but eventually it will come just watch

18. CyberMarco

@14 Maybe, but for me backwards compatibility would be a +. Isn’t the next Xbox supposed to have a different architecture compared to the Xbox 360?

The add-on would be useful for those who want to trade in their console in favor of the new one, but without losing access to their game catalog, it could work for them.

@17 Talk for yourself dude. Personally I’m not really fond of digital distribution on closed systems, like consoles and I want to have my gaming collection available at any time, without the need of subscriptions etc.

I never liked subscription based services, like cellphones contracts, cable TV etc. Only exception is PS+, which I subscribed to because when I got my PS3 I didn’t have any game to play and PS+ is a nice gateway until I expand my library.

19. Francis O

I have no idea what type of company Microsoft is?

Of course I do! I have a Xbox 360 and 60 games for it. I know that I have went through 3 Xbox 360 because of MS faulty hardware. I know MS charges for online play when Sony,Steam, and Nintendo don’t.

I know MS requires gold subscriptions to access NetFlix and other Apps. I know MS cares more about Kinect, than actual games. I know MS makes Halo, Forza, and pays Epic for Gears of War.

Please, I was a huge MS fan at the beginning of the generation, but the faulty hardware, charging for online play, and lack of first party titles has turned me off to the system.

Not to mention this TV tuner crap is stupid. PS4 looks to be much better than the Xbox 720. Sony has more first party games, and free online. Plus, they got rid of the Cell so developers won’t bitch about making games for the system this time.

The Xbox 720 will be DOA in Japan to. However, I think price is going to be key. Both of these systems need to be some what affordable to push units.

20. Lengendaryboss

^ Interesting.

21. Wen3

The plus side to this roomers is Eye tracking tech and Siri like voice control……but everybody is doing it all new line smartphones has it…….so it is obvious sony will have it too….if not at launch eventually it will…..and I hope they do them right…smarter than siri and way better than galaxy s4 eye tracking…..I wanna move the cursor with my eyes…..the pointer(aim thing) on fps games with my eyes…….that’s how good I want it to be………..anyway sony made a patent back then about contact eyes tracking tech and glasses thing it you don’t want contacts so yeah it coming…..

22. reask

Kinda interesting IMHO.
    I remember a long long long time ago doing an open university course on the internet.
    I had to read a couple of books for the course which at this point I vaguely remember, one was something like (when wizards stay up all night),
    God I know that’s not the correct name but they had to do with jobs and gates plus others.

Anyway my point been I had to submit a summary at the end of the course and part of my summary was my opinion that gates envisaged a pc in every home just like the telly.
    I was running win95 at the time.

You know we can all bitch and moan about a lot of this but imo these guys are innovators who gamble the lot on certain ideas.

I just think this new gen needs to get some bones on it from either side before any conclusions are made.

Myself personally play the ps3 mostly now having been an xbot for years.
    Why? because I want to play games and that’s why I bought a console.
    Don’t get me wrong as I love my 360 but ms appear to have lost the gaming end a bit recently.

Yet if the nextbox has tv and games which I like in a package I am in because I know both 360 and ps3 both play some pretty good games.

Think of the wii with extras and you have the perfect marriage.

23. reask

You know what frances 0.
    Just get the 4 and stop trying to pretend your a neutral.
    I fu**ing hate guys without balls.

A few others on here the same mind you.
    I wont mention names but there here.

It makes me laugh really.
    Hey live is 60 a year so there only rip off merchants.
    I mean cmon ffs.

Not sure if u take a drink or not but 60 for u and the moth wont get you the Chinese or taxi home.

Yeah well look at ps plus compared to live.
    Would it be free if ms weren’t around the gaming business?

Its fu**ing business and all any of them want to do is dominate so they get the market and then tell the customer tough shit when the games go up to 100 and pslive is 200 a year.

MS is needed as ninty are flucked as far as gaming goes next gen.
    They sold out to casuals and left the gamer behind and are now paying the price.

If MS or Sony do the same they will go the same way.
    Games are the most important thing and if thats integrated to your tv its happy days.

24. SlayerGT

Turn your head to pause? Who thought that would be a good idea!? Hahaha! Jesus, man I’m with OG. I’m done with these rumors.

25. DSB

At least we can establish that about 50% of the rumors are complete and utter fabrication.

26. Lengendaryboss

Yeah certain PS4 Rumours aren’t true i.e. Used games. Rumours aren’t always true even when we want them to be.

27. Dark

“i noticed one person in the room has not watched the advertisement,
    i will now play it again for all of you”

28. Lewis247

See, this is the thing about rumors. One person says one thing and the next say the opposite. There’s absolutely no way to credit or discredit them.

Microsoft isn’t dumb as shit, they won’t release an online console, it just goes way too far out from what customers want and expect. I haven’t enjoyed what I’ve been seeing with xbox over the last few years so I’m hoping for good things, or it’s straight to the ps4 I go.

29. Schwarzerwind

As a PC Gamer (sold the last of my consoles, a XBox 360, back in 2007) who reads all of these next-gen rumors out of curiosity (and for the Wii U stuff, because my family loves the Wii and would like a U), the closest analogy I can think of to describe how I feel is a single person hearing married friends’ problems:

It all just sounds like too much trouble for what you get in return. LOL

30. stretch215

For me this is a decision on which to get first. I will eventually own all 3 (wiiu after some games and a peoce cut

31. stretch215

For me this is a decision on which to get first. I will eventually own all 3 (wiiu after some games and a price cut)

32. drewbles82

This is annoying. I need to know about backwards comp as my 360 is almost on its last legs, it scratched my fallout NV disc, lucky as i have the Ultimate edition and it wasnt the dlc disc, i just ordered the main game for 2quid.
    Anyway I almost bout a brand new 360 today. Now im gonna wait til i hear news which isnt a rumour. If its Backwards comp, i will wait, if its not, by then im sure there will be a price cut.

33. CPC_RedDawn

I think its safe to say.

If you want a gaming machine, buy a PS4.

If you want a Family/Party gaming machine, buy a Wii U.

If you want a set-top box/gaming machine, buy a…. NO wait… BUILD a PC!!

Simple.

Seriously, why? Why buy this machine? Microsoft wait and wait to announce stuff and all that its doing is creating negative press for the machine which has had nothing but bad press about it for months now.

Honestly, why buy this machine when you could build a small PC that will do literally everything and better. The PC itself would only cost about £500, hook that up to your TV. You have Netflix, LoveFilm, Hulu, Itunes, GOG, Steam Big Picture, not to mention it is completely possible now to pay nothing for your games legally with free to play. Games like, Warframe, TF2, All the MMO’s, Tons of Indie games, Warface, BF Heroes, and many many more to come.

34. Diingo

^^^ It’s called a Steambox

35. stretch215

@33 Why? Seriously, why? Why make assumptions about this machine when we know absolutely nothing concrete? WHY? It’s pretty foolish to pass judgement on something you (quite literally) know nothing about.

36. lubu

“Didn’t they say that programs will stop after 3 minutes of being offline?”

when exactly thay said that ? by they said you mean rumors ? or you mean sim city ?

37. Henry

So this is my understanding.

Durango
    - will have its own Durango disc game.
    - can play second hand disc game.
    - does NOT require “always online”.
    - can’t play 360 games alone, no matter online or offline.

Xbox-mini
    - has TV related features, like AppleTV
    - no disc drive.
    - requires “always online”.
    - alone can play 360 download games (Games-on-Demand and XBLA)
    - when combined with Durango, can play 360 disc game.

Anything wrong?

38. Richenbaum

@#33 well…because not every game is on PC and some people are more interested in playing games than carrying a console war flag. pretty simple.

why are YOU ok with ps4s when you’re sitting here ranting about how consoles are redundant compared to pcs?

39. redwood

am not even following these stupid rumors anymore just waiting on microsoft to do the reveal.. these rumors are really pointless

40. bunnyking

It’s still always online… Till MS states otherwise.

Fanboy or not, XBOX next will require you to always be online and that isn’t appealing to me, regardless of the way they spin it.

I like playing offline games offline.

41. Richenbaum

It also shoots you in the face with lasers if you stop playing it. Microsoft has failed to deny this rumor so far, therefore it is true.

42. crimsondethomen

Im sorry, but if you are a gamer and don’t have a dedicated internet connection, then maybe you should get with the times. My xbox 360 is technically always connected now (except when COX goes down at 3 am), so what is the problem? What difference does it make if you play an offline game and you profile is online. None. You playstation fanboys make me sick to listen to. Its always “well ms charges for gold” piss off. It keeps poor people (ps3 owners) who complain about paying for a superior online experience from trolling my lobbies. The only thing Sony has done right recently is the Vita (I love my vita, I pissed on my ps3), and an early press conference. You cant knock a console you know NOTHING about. Oh, and tell Sony they have been using the same controller since 1995. Yes, I came to troll, but after reading some of these asinine comments, I had to say something. I will buy a 720 even if it is only to play Alan Wake. Bah, no good first party titles…Oh I cant wait to play Resistance 10 Colon Blast or watch Nathan Drake as he jumps from rock to rock….again.

43. Bomba Luigi

I do trust my Internet Connection, Its fast and the Last Time I had a Problem with it… I can’t even Remember, its long ago. And yeah, why should I care that some People don’t have that (But MS, EA or whatever probably should… ).

So, will I buy an always Online Console? No. Why? I don’t trust the Servers of MS, EA or whatever. I really don’t, why the Hell should I? I wasn’t able to play Assassins Creed 2 at launch, while my Internet Connection was perfect Fine. Ubisofts Server not. What keep most People from Playing Diablo3 or Sim City? The Servers.

And in Long Terms, even when its not that way now or too soon, I can see how a System like that goes more and more in a Direction where its about Recording what I’m doing. What do I play, When do Play, and so on. Like the PS4 that want to know what I want before I know. I want my Consoles Stupid.
    Collecting Datas, Companies love that. And when its done with a System that too does always keeping track of my Movement through a Camera… well, it can get really, really worse. Maybe not now, maybe never, but it can.

But I don’t really believe that MS is doing an always Online Console. But maybe I’m wrong.