Durango requires Internet connection to run games, apps – rumor

Thursday, 4th April 2013 19:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft’s next Xbox console will require an Internet connection in order for games or apps to be started, according to the latest from two Kotaku sources.

The sources said the system will be “always-online,” but those who have issues with dropped connections will find the console can “tolerate” the occurrence for a few minutes.

“Unless something has changed recently, Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used,” said one of the sources. “If there isn’t a connection, no games or apps can be started.

“If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time – currently three minutes, if I remember correctly – the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started.”

However, other sources close to the site have said they are unaware of plans for an online requirement by Microsoft.

PS4 does not require an online connection.

So, until Microsoft announces such a mechanic along with its next console – in May probably – we won’t know for sure if the rumor is true or not.

Thanks, Dark.

1. zme-ul

holy cow! I can totally see MS doing it

2. monkeygourmet

That would be really, really shitty…

And I can also see MS doing this too…

3. xxJPRACERxx

I’m sure this is BS. I’ll wait for an official statement about this. But if this is true then, like many already said, MS have already lost next-gen.

4. Lengendaryboss

Hmmm. Is it just me or is every rumor of NextXbox bear some bad news? I mean its great that they thought of how to make it more convenient for people with bad connection but seriously. But then again i should take every rumor with a pinch of salt and hopes its not true right? Right?

5. tezzer1985

Is Microsoft becoming the Sony with their arrogance? I hope not, I’m sure Microsoft will see all the bad press, and change this requirement.

6. YoungZer0

Nobody is that stupid.

7. G1GAHURTZ

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

I hate Micro$ofts GUTS!!!!

Thanks for saving mi muneyzzz blah.. blah… blah…

8. Lengendaryboss

@5 Its what i am worried about and commented on.

9. deathm00n

@4 Rumours reflects what people thinks about the company. You can see how people like MS. I don’t mind them, but always on is a very shit decision. Even if it “tolerate” bad connections it’s still not going to be the same experience for everyone.

10. Pytox

If this is true and also kinect in package then no buy defo,
    and yes I have a 360

11. Fin

Yup.

Didn’t mind before, bit concerned after Simcity’s experience.

12. Djoenz

No as a Sonyfanboy believe me when I say this wont happen. Filthy rumors.

13. fearmonkey

no way this is true…. Not everyone has a broadband connection in rural areas, some people only have dialup even now. If MS does this they will only shoot themselves in the foot, cant see it happening.

14. BrahManDude

WHYYYY!!!

15. No_PUDding

Definitely don’t believe it myself.

Surely they can’t ignore that the infrastructure in America (let alone Europe) just still isn’t quite ready for it.

Maybe in the next 5 years or so, but that’s a real slow sell.

16. DrDamn

What apps does the 360 have that aren’t internet based? Don’t think Netflix starts up without an internet connection strangely enough :). Think this is other misinterpreted rumours being regurgitated. It would be madness to do.

17. RocknRolla

So this means I will be seeing more people online on the PS4? Sweet :) not that we don´t have enough people online today, but an addition won´t hurt :) M$ bought their ticket to doom with this stupid feature.. unless they see peoples rage and remove it IMMEDIATELY they are fucked.. I am getting a PS4 anyhow so no worries for me :D

18. FrayJoker

This just keeps coming up again and again. It’s a system killer, for sure, and I’m starting to think it’s true.

Here’s hoping public outcry at the announcement is enough to get in a last minute hardware revision.

19. monkeygourmet

If this is true and Kinect 2 has to be plugged in for it to work (as other rumours have suggested), well…

That’s pretty fucking dark from a privacy / security point of view, also the amount of adverts are going to be spectacular.

I really hope this is all organised bullshit and fake info.

20. zinc

What if it’s a system check that’s required for every new game? To make sure it’s not a copy or somesuch?

Once the game passes the test you can play it offline whenever you like. Does that sound plausible?

21. The_Red

Well, I didn’t get Diablo 3 because of always-online. I didn’t get SimCity 5 for the same reason and if this is true, then I won’t be getting next Xbox even though I like my 360.

Of course this could be a case of MS feeding false rumors to the media so when the system is revealed, lack of such stupid features will be seen as a bonus. It’s like saying “I’m gonna kill you” and then saying I was lying so you owe me your life!

22. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

I was only 10 comments early…

23. Diingo

This is believable after seeing the horrific release of Windows 8. Microsoft has no idea what they’re doing, they’re heading for the cliff.

24. OlderGamer

Well, G1GAs chuckle aside, if these type of things do turn out to be true. I could spell trouble for MS. Infact it will spell trouble. How ever like cooler heads said, best to wait and see for the offical info when it gets here.

25. SlayerGT

If true, it should be for a better reason than security..like enabling some awesome new game changing features. Cause if it’s just for security that’s nice..for them.

26. Erthazus

If that’s true they can kiss my ass goodbye.

Imagine, Call Of Duty releasing on that system. How fucking horrible it will be for the launch. Errors all over the place.

Diablo III suffered so much, but that was a game, now, every fucking game on one system requires this shit.

27. salarta

Ah, losing your progress in a single player game due to the router failing, how delightful.

28. Erthazus

^ Or server crash from Microsoft. SCHWING!

29. rockman29

The mistake you’re making is assuming MS isn’t like this in the first place.

Sony is the one who became like MS. Thankfully, they receded after PS3′s failure to dominate, as well as their other divisions.

MS business culture has nothing to do with being good to the consumer. Only people who love Xbox think that.

30. Erthazus

It’s not Sony’s arrogance Microsoft is doing, it’s just with online it is basically a full Protection from piracy and that is a 100% Xbox Live monetization.

but the problem is that this shit does not work at all. Microsoft tried this stupid stuff with WINDOWS Activation since Windows Vista and you know what? This shit does not work very well.

31. OlderGamer

@Erth how about the dreaded: “All servers are busy, please try again later.” That would be fun.

Honestly I don’t see that happening. The games won’t likly be played online, just validated online. I could be wrong tho.

32. Cobra951

@6: I want to believe that, but I know better. The bigger the company, the more they convince themselves they can control the world.

If this rumor pans out, it will make next-gen decisions a lot easier for me: Scratch Microsoft off the list of candidates.

33. MadFlavour

How many times are VG247 gonna report the same rumor?

34. Erthazus

35. OlderGamer

MF I think it is less that they are covering the same rumor over and over, and more that the same rumor keeps coming up over and over. And from seemingly different sources. And that is what makes people shake their heads a bit….if it keeps coming up…is there something to it?

I think best to wait and see. But VG247 is kind of about reporting things…so, and besides Steph stuck a disclaimer in there.

36. The_Red

They have to be played like that (Always using servers) because the system checks every second. It will go offline if it fails to connect for more than 3 minutes. Plus they will never say this is DRM and instead will force some useless social feature to make the whole thing even more server oriented and in the long run, more suitable for “All servers are busy” situations.

37. OlderGamer

Great Red, I can see it now: Gold Member feature only. Upgrade Now!

38. DSB

Words like “if I remember correctly” and “unless something’s changed” kinda expose it for the big fat red herring that it is.

Microsoft is an American company, you best believe they know how shitty that grid is.

For all their cluelessness, they’re not that dumb.

Although they did kinda build the latest Windows around touchscreens…. Hmmm.

39. Moonwalker1982

Getting so tired of these rumours and not for a second do i believe this will happen. I bet some people just didn’t read it properly or something. Kinda like how people on NeoGAF all took that previous leaked document as ‘always having to be online’ when in fact nowhere in the document it said that.

MS is not stupid like this. There are still people without an internet connection that only game offline and what about if your ISP is giving you shit? Nah. If true, not a dealbreaker for me, but i really don’t believe it.

40. salarta

@38: Words like “if I remember correctly” and “unless something’s changed” are used as safety guards for if something changes or if they were misinformed, so that people hearing what the source says do not immediately assume what they’re saying is absolutely guaranteed without a shadow of a doubt.

If anything, the source’s decision to use such wording should make them MORE reliable, not less. If they were intentionally and maliciously trying to mislead people, you would see absolutely no uncertainty. They’re an anonymous source, what do they have to lose from lying? A reputation for veracity that doesn’t actually do anything for them because they’re not identified?

41. DSB

@40 Yeah. No.

Using those words means they aren’t currently part of the project. It’s hearsay, it’s not credible.

The idea that they want to protect their credibility is pretty retarded. They’re fucking anonymous, they have absolutely nothing to lose, but at least this way they get to have a bit of fun with the internet and/or their former employer.

42. The_Red

@OG
    Holy crap. This can really happen. All non-Gold members are silver, right? They have to wait in online queues but those that upgrade to Gold, will get some sort of VIP card / tag for special servers.

43. OlderGamer

Wouldn’t something like this mean that once a pub was done with a title(in otherwords the sequel comes out) and they stop supporting those log in servers you are screwed?

44. viralshag

Wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference to me considering when my internet is down I can’t do half the things I want to with most of my games anyway. And in general I’m pissed off if my internet is EVER down, luckily I can’t remember the last time I had any major downtime (I’m on Virgin).

But it would be a pain for a lot of people and if it was that dependant on an internet connection it would be a silly idea. On the flip side I imagine they are basing it on the fact that Live is so popular and I imagine they can tell a great deal from the info they gather from the service.

45. salarta

@43: That’s part of my concerns over the rumors PS4 had of disallowing used games. All possible ways of preventing used games lead to those games not being accessible 10-20 years later, as well as potentially putting countless companies and institutions such as rental stores out of business as collateral damage. It’d basically be something that has the potential to ruin millions of lives and severely damage video games as enduring culture, all for the sake of some video game publishers and developers believing they’ve protected their investments from people that will probably manage to hack their way around the roadblocks anyway.

46. No_PUDding

I guess where there’s smoke there’s fire.

But I still think if this is an issue for us in the hardcore… Imagine how much of a barrier it will be to everyone else.

47. OlderGamer

I bet most of them won’t even know till a thunder storm knocks out their ISP or something.

48. DSB

People were spreading the exact same rumor about the PS4. Supposedly it didn’t even have an optical drive. How did that go?

It just goes to show that this is a great season to fuck with people.

They’ll believe (or at least print) anything, and Microsoft have left themselves wide open to it, firstly by making their reveal into a non-reveal by waiting too long, and secondly for not answering questions about their “non-console”.

It’s a good rumor though, because there’s no doubt that this is the wettest dream of publishers everywhere. EA, Ubisoft and Activision are willing to ruin their brands just to “make them into a service”, so surely Microsoft must be willing to throw away billions of dollars – and a major brand – by doing the exact same thing to their console, right?

49. No_PUDding

@47 Yeah but you’ll have to set it up first.

I just don’t believe it at all to be honest. It’s kinda far fetched.

50. roadkill

And people being dumb enough as they are they would still buy it. GG.

51. Gadzooks!

I really can’t see this happening. It would be suicide.

Not a problem for me as I always have a stable connection, but it will put a lot of people off.