Competitive gaming is as much a sport as chess, poker – Jet Li

Wednesday, 3rd April 2013 20:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Jet Li is The One, Fearless, Hero who can kick your ass from here into The Forbidden Kingdom should he take a shine to it, using his Fist of Legend, Lethal Weapon 4 or Kiss of the Dragon. He could probably do this in-game as well, if he decided to be The Enforcer on the matter.

Sorry for all the movie puns. Well, no I’m not, really.

Anyway – according to an interview translation over at MMO Culture, Li was on-hand at an Age of Wushu PvP tournament, where he stated that e-sports is just as valid as any other sport.

Take that, football.

“If poker card games and chess both have the players sitting down and are considered sports, why not virtual gaming as well,” Li said. “There are two kinds of sports: one physical and one mental. There is no good reason to debunk virtual gaming as a sport.

“I believe the participants of such virtual PvP events have the same mentality as physical athletes.”

Thanks, Massively.

1. CaptPierce

Haha anyone remember his game Rise to Honor from the PS2? It was maddeningly difficult at times and short, but it was kick ass with it’s action.

Ah, good times. :P

#1 1 year ago
  2. Froseidon

Dem puns :|

#2 1 year ago
  3. diego-rbb-93

1# Those times where Middleware games were the real food of PS2 and companies like Capcom didnt matter about risking in strange games?

You have no fuc*ing idea how I miss those times. One of many reason to explain why that was a golden age in gaming.

#3 1 year ago
  4. CaptPierce

@3 YES. Now if it’s not raking in $100 million dollars it’s first week on retail, it’s an automatic failure. And when pre-ordering games didn’t have the company gimping out most of it’s content.

#4 1 year ago
  5. YoungZer0

@2: I admit, I laughed harder than I should’ve. :|

#5 1 year ago
  6. xino

why did you type all that rubbish man?
    deceiving people thinking Jet Li is involved in this:/

#6 1 year ago
  7. Stephany Nunneley

@6 Because, man, Li was attending the recent Age of Wushu global PvP tournament because he “is” involved in it as he is the game’s spokesperson. You would have known that if you clicked the links.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Digital Bamboo

I agree with Li, competitive gaming is as much a sport as chess or poker, in that none of them are sports.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Da Man

You mean those times when the only way to play competitively was to buy an Xbox? Otherwise you were stuck with endless stream of quirky japanese single player time killing software?

#9 1 year ago
  10. NinjaMidget

Hang on, I’m so confused. Noob question I know, probably…

but are Age of Wulin and Age of Wushu the same game? I keep seeing them mentioned together or in the same articles.

#10 1 year ago
  11. NinjaMidget

They are not. The wonders that a google search can bring eh?! :D

#11 1 year ago