Wii U: Nintendo sees 125% sale spike in UK

Tuesday, 2nd April 2013 12:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U console sales leapt 125% across the UK last week, according to retailers. The boost is thanks in part to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate’s release.

MCV reports that several retailers enjoyed the rise in sales, suggesting that recent price-cuts have worked a charm. For example, the site highlights HMV’s £140 price-point for the basic Wii U model as a particular success.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate also accounted for almost 50% of total Wii U software sales for the week, which should delight Capcom.

We’ll update if and when exact figures are released into the wild.

1. Showmeyomoves!

I waited a looong time for this game. Feels good to finally play it! It’s only been a week and I already spent 80+ hours on it… D:

#1 1 year ago
  2. Goffee

So, if retailers sold 1,000 last week, this week it was 2,250? I can’t say I’d be wild about that given in Japan console sales can leap 400% on the arrival of a single game.

Without specific information, this news is meaningless. Welcome, but meaningless. Bet MCV won’t run a story next week if sales are down 100%…

Come on VG247 dig out the real numbers!

#2 1 year ago
  3. ps3fanboy

yah… vg247 give us the real numbers.. this is a joke.

#3 1 year ago
  4. viralshag

An increase is always good but as others have stated percentages are useless without actual numbers. At this stage they could pretty much make up whatever they wanted as it would all just be an attempt to get people in the store to buy a price-cut WiiU.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Gheritt White

You mean it sold 25 units this week? LOL

#5 1 year ago
  6. Djoenz

You guys are like totally missing the point. Its about the fact it increased its sales this much just because of one single game.

-__-

Well 50% :P

#6 1 year ago
  7. Francis O

Got a bunch of trolls in here, an increase is an increase…

And if Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate made the sales jump, what happens when a Zelda, 3D Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart come out for the system?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Goffee

#7 – No, if VG24/7 is a proper games news site, shouldn’t it do some investigative digging to find out real facts, rather than feed us company spin?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Djoenz

Agreed! Zelda oh I might buy a WiiU just for Zelda HD alone. Nintendo should make more rpg’s for WiiU mature rpg’s.

Read the last sentence no?:

“We’ll update if and when exact figures are released into the wild.”
    Patience good Lord.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Francis O

#9

Xenoblade 2, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, The Last Story 2 (or Mistwalkers secret Wii U game)

All of those games have a mature theme to them. Fire Emblem has permadeath.

#10 1 year ago
  11. dreamcastnews

It doesn’t matter if it’s good or bad news, the trolls will continue to do what they do when it comes to Nintendo, I shouldn’t worry about it.

Don’t forget it’s the same mentality that has counted Sony as the next gen winners when Microsoft haven’t even shown anything yet.

The Wii U can clearly become a ‘second console’ for most gamers much like how the Wii was in the last gen, I’ve got a Wii U and I’m certainly not ruling out a PS4 or XboxNext even though I’ve always been a Nintendo/Sega gamer – it’s all about the games and Nintendo platforms are starting to take shape.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

@10 Its such a shame that “mature” games are on such a causal console, its like shoving causal games on an hardcore console.

#12 1 year ago
  13. dreamcastnews

@12……

Which is what Kinect and Move are for?

Doesn’t ‘casual’ mean that the Wii U would sell bucket loads…? Cos, it ain’t……

#13 1 year ago
  14. viralshag

Are people really trolling though? I don’t think asking for solid numbers is trolling. I think accepting any bit of “good news” without question is a bit more fanboyish than asking reasonable questions is trollish.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Djoenz

Sony’s first party games are hardcore and Nintendo’s tends to be casual its a fact. Except Zelda thats a whole other level for me.

That game might persuade me to go WiiU.

Besides Kinect and Move are optional.

#15 1 year ago
  16. dreamcastnews

@14 I think mine was a blanket response for later comments that will be left here, everyone’s so far seems fair and balanced – even that PS3Fanboy, that’s saying something!

#16 1 year ago
  17. OlderGamer

“Sony’s first party games are hardcore and Nintendo’s tends to be casual its a fact.”

More of an opinion wouldn’t you say DJ?

I mean LBP vs Mario/Donky Kong/Kirby

LBP Kart/Modnation vs Mario Kart

Uncharted vs Metriod/Zelda

I also think it depends on the game in question, the persons defenition of hardcore/casual. And all it really boils down to is on persons opinion vs another persons. Neither one can truely be wrong in the eyes of said person. But also, neither one could be objectivly refered to as a fact either.

#17 1 year ago
  18. dreamcastnews

@15, I’ll agree that a larger percentage of Nintendo’s titles are aimed at ‘evergreen’ audiences, but there are more hardcore titles than just that one – they just don’t sell. I like the fact that Sony are still willing to risk on new IP, it’s one of the reasons I’ll keep buying Sony machines in future (except Vita, of course) .

Last gen Nintendo published things like Disaster, Another Code R, Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora’s Tower, Trauma Centre, Inazuma, Zac & Wiki, Resident Evil 4, Project Zero II, Metroid…. All of these weren’t casual but yes, I get where you’re coming from.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Lengendaryboss

@13 They were accessories to extend the life-cycle of PS3 and Xbox360, is that the answer you were you looking for :)
    @18 yeah Nintendo do publish/house hardcore titles but unfortunately due their image it is very hard to see anything other than the family friendly company.
    @17 Its amazing how you left out God of War, The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls in lite of LBP and Uncharted.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Djoenz

I get where you coming from too. It seems I missed out on a lot. Those titles you mentioned of last gen Nintendo titles will there be HD remasters for WiiU?

Im mainly pointing out Xenoblade and Last Story cause I have heard great things about those two games.

Zelda oh boy that brings back memories. OOT.

Not to mention Infamous and Resistance.

#20 1 year ago
  21. dreamcastnews

Heavy Rain was my favourite game for the PS3 I’m hoping Beyond will also live up to my expectations.

@20 I’d hope that they do remake Another Code, Disaster and Xeno/Pandora/LS as they were really overlooked when launched, the Wii had some awesome games as well as some outright terrible ones, I just hope the Wii U evens the balance and gets Nintendo back into getting 2nd party titles out there.

I’d personally like the see Nintendo adopt a ‘trophy/achievement’ style approach, they have the interface in Miiverse… It worked to a certain extent when putting easy gamerpoints in games that were terrible – the games still sold, maybe Nintendo could do with this to sell a few 3rd party efforts.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Francis O

@ LegendaryBoss, why are you so worried about Nintendo’s “image” why don’t you just play the core titles we mentioned and STFU. You say the Wii U is a casual console… for reasons you haven’t even proved, we mention hardcore titles, then you say their image is casual????

That doesn’t make sense. Nintendo is pushing out more core titles to the Wii U, the PS3 and Xbox 360 also have a large amount of casual titles as well. Kinect, Move, Wonderbook, Kinect Sport, Kinect animals and what not.

Be a real gamer and play good games, don’t worry about a companies image. Just worry about the games. Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem, and Bayonetta are core titles for core gamers, and have nothing to do with Nintendo’s image your bitching about.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Lengendaryboss

@Francis Whoa take your hostile behaviour elsewhere, not going to resort to your behaviour. I not worried about Nintendo’s image (you always love imagining stuff i am not saying) I am just stating thats the image Nintendo created, use it well and they can lure in more causal buyers. I can’t “play the core the titles you mentioned” because i don’t and i never plan to buy the Wii U. I say the Wii U is causal console for reasons i haven’t stated, true i guess i haven’t explained it well enough, i get to it soon. Nintendo pushing out more core titles, your right there are plenty of upcoming hardcore titles like you have mentioned. PS3 and Xbox360 Have causal titles true but although again i never said otherwise. I am a real gamer and i am just stating what i believe in. Now the majority of my message is just comprising with you, because i don’t have the energy to keep this up.

The Wii U: Reasons for it being a causal console:
    The Image Nintendo created is the family friendly company, so anything assiociated with them is most likely aimed at the causals.
    Hardcore games will never sell well on Wii U (Personal Opinion) and causal games will sell very well.
    Nintendo’s output of games is more causal than hardcore. Even though their causal games are accessible to all ages its clearly aimed at the causals.
    Its predecessor the Wii is definitely a causal console so people automatically assume its successor is also causal.
    I would put more reasons but like i said i don’t have the energy to keep this up. I am not denying the Wii and Wii U have hardcore titles, just they won’t be successful like the causal titles.
    Satisfied now?

#23 1 year ago
  24. dreamcastnews

Some fair and balanced points here tonight, this is what I expect of gaming debates.

#24 1 year ago