More details on the PlayStation 4′s social aspects and user interface

Wednesday, 27th March 2013 20:43 GMT By Phil Owen

Today at GDC, Sony gave a presentation on the PlayStation 4, and while most of it was pretty technical they gave out some new info on the system’s social features and UI. Selecting a game, for example, will take you to a screen that shows comments about it from your friends and DLC listings as well as any other relevant information. From there you can launch the game.

More:
-Using your real name on your PSN ID will be optional, but if you link your Facebook with the PSN, your real name goes.
-The friend limit will be increasing on the PS4 from the current limit of 100.
-Users spectating can send the player comments while watching
-The color of the light bar on the controller will indicate which player slot a person is occupying. Blue for 1, red for 2, green for 3 and pink for 4.
-Holding down the share button takes a screenshot.

Exciting stuff.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. NightCrawler1970

FB = Big Brother is watching you…

#1 1 year ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

Great, now I can extend my circle of real life friends over 100! What a relief, been beating them off with a stick just to keep it at 100!

#2 1 year ago
  3. manamana

Transparent citizen you already are …

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

No ‘Yellow’ light?! O_o

#4 1 year ago
  5. OlderGamer

Exciting stuff my ass lol.

I am not big on socialy aware gaming systems. If everything isn’t fully optional and by optional I mean also seperated from actualy being able to play online or off…I am not buying one.

I don’t ever want to see a prompt before my game connects asking me to sign up for this or that or to link this or that. I just want to be able to play the games. W/o letting the world have a peek and a go with the lovable me.

#5 1 year ago
  6. JRNO

@4 Colors match the face buttons.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Shuklar

I hope you can change the color ordering. I want my controller to always be green, not blue. Or maybe if it’s not an Eye enabled game, make it fade between colors. Options are always nice.

#7 1 year ago
  8. monkeygourmet

I know, yellow is my favrit though :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

The colour thing just seems like a waste of battery, what other meaning does it have?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Fin

The camera can track the location of the pad. Bit like a slimmed-down Move.

#10 1 year ago
  11. polygem

i don´t care about the social stuff much tbh. i like nintendo´s take with miiverse though, it´s fun, esp. the drawings. that said, the share button/ screenshot thingy is cool.
    i love the new dualshock! i prefer the analog stick placement of the 360 pad, but the ds4 looks like it´ll feel just right – cannot wait to check it out.

#11 1 year ago
  12. SlayerGT

Interesting thought..if you follow me. I’ll pretend OG is on my friends list to illustrate.

OG, “Hey SlayerGT I see you’re playing the new (insert game). I was thinking of picking it up. How is it?”

Me, “I gotta make dinner, why don’t you try it out yourself?”

This allowing someone to “play your game for you” deal has me interested in its capabilities.

Also, if this tech works the way I think it does..wouldn’t it be possible to play 2 player multiplayer using one game, like how the PSP can host some games? If someone can “hack” into your PS4 to play “your” game, why couldn’t they WHILE you too were playing? Hmmm curious ;)

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

I may be wrong, but I really don’t think it works like that?

I think you can spectate and maybe take part if you actually own the game? Still a cool feature, but I’m don’t sure you can try before you buy! :)

Sony are getting more generous, but not THAT generous! ;)

#13 1 year ago
  14. SlayerGT

@14 I thought that was the point of putting Giaki tech in the PS4? To be able to stream to Vitas, tablets, phones, and other PS4s?

Edit: Or are you saying that you have to run the game and by “spectating” you’re just receiving the “button inputs” from your spectatee. Its just “recreating” the game to you?

#14 1 year ago
  15. monkeygourmet

May have crossed wires, I think the streaming is possible, but not letting others fully play your games remotely unless they already own the title?

Also; Mojo has just listed a ton of features in the news forum, looks pretty awesome all in all.

#15 1 year ago
  16. OlderGamer

I am just grumpy, and set in my ways. I have a lot of reservations about the social focus is all. I don’t do Twitter, Facebook or anything social minded. All I do is sit around and chat with you wankers lol ;)

#16 1 year ago
  17. mkotechno

Wait… only 4 players?
    PS3 is able to handle 7 and the Fifa and NBA2K parties are awesome… A lot of social features and virtual friends but you cannot play with real friends… what a fail.

#17 1 year ago
  18. SlayerGT

@17 *old man voice* Back in my day we had to lug HEAVY ASS tvs to our buddies house to have what they use to call a “land party” :) Go old school man!

#18 1 year ago
  19. polygem

i don´t use fb or twitter either…with the ps4 i think i wil use the social aspects only a little bit (if i can). i hope that you can customize your account, that you can turn on/ off certain things.

#19 1 year ago
  20. monkeygourmet

But how will anyone see your beard?! :D

#20 1 year ago
  21. SlayerGT

@19 I hope you can customize most aspects of the interface also. When I fired up my Xbox to see Obama’s face right there I almost chucked that fucker out the goddamn window.

#21 1 year ago
  22. polygem

@20: i don´t want to make anyone yealous

#22 1 year ago
  23. PC_PlayBoy

The PS4 controller still looks shit. The new design looks cheap as chips with a couple of gimmicks bolted onto it.

Anyway, consoles are dead and MS/Sony/Nintendo fucking know it.

The future of gaming is: PC/MAC/Linux/iOS and Android. Deal with it…

#23 1 year ago
  24. polygem

ok boss. yess boss. will deal witit boss.

#24 1 year ago
  25. monkeygourmet

Alt account much?

#25 1 year ago
  26. Gnosis

“but if you link your Facebook with the PSN, your real name goes”

…Sooooo not happening. The last thing I need is for ppl to know how I am. Good to hear that it´s optional.

#26 1 year ago
  27. DrDamn

In the main reveal they said real name is only for people on your friends list too – not used when playing random people.

#27 1 year ago
  28. OlderGamer

Right Doc, but don’t a lot of folks use their friends list to keep track of gamers they have enjoyed playing games with? It doesn’t really mean that they want to share real life info with them.

I sometimes feel like this type of stuff get shoved down our throats. I am not the target demographic for stuff like FB or Twitter, I get that. So i try and look at it from a broader scope. What would other people want. But I can’t see a whole lot of good coming out of it. I see the range being very narrow of people that will really enjoy this type of thing.

Really what it feels like to me is a trojan horse full of marketing potiental. An attempt to learn more about me, the consumer.

I just don’t like it. As a gamer w/o FB or Twitter I won’t need to worry about it…I think.

#28 1 year ago
  29. OlderGamer

I think one of the key things that always gets over looked in these type of things is the why of it. Why does Sony, and prolly MS want to go this route? Why does EA want you to run the web and link everything to origin accounts? It is a trend. And I doubt that it is for the betterment of the gaming experience.

That being said, I am not holding a PS4 right now so I don’t know the scope of what they are looking to do. Time will tell I guess.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Gnosis

@28: Basically what you said. I’ve got plenty of ppl on my friendlist, whom I don’t actually know. They’re just fun to play coop games with. And they don’t need to know who I am.

#30 1 year ago
  31. ReadinRambo

@4 @8

It shows a yellow light in the demo of the Division in the guys hand so there is more than 4 colors http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAAy_bVbqnA at 7:07

#31 9 months ago
  32. Christopher Jack

@31, This is 4 months old…

#32 9 months ago