Ouya store to offer SNES, NES emulators at launch – report

Monday, 25th March 2013 10:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Like Samsung Galaxy before it, the Android-powered Ouya console is said to support emulators. Word on the street is that both SNES and NES emulators will be ready for launch.

CVG reports via unnamed sources from the emulation scene, that the apps are wrapping up development now, and should be considered illegal much like their mobile counterparts.

Regardless, the illegal nature of these emulators hasn’t swayed Android app developers from creating programs that let you run retro games on Samsung Galaxy phones. It seems likely that the same trend will continue on Ouya.

What do you think? Would you like to see Ouya offer emulators when it ships to Kickstarter backers March 28?

1. Dragon246

They cant support it legally. It has to be via anonymous 3rd party people.
    I guess this would be great from some people, but not for me. I seldom play games of older consoles.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Fin

This is why you won’t see AAA games on Ouya.

Nothing to counter illegal apps (I’d consider emulators grey for sure though).

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

@Fin,
    AAA games dont exactly have PS2 graphics now do they? :)That is the most Ouya is capable of.
    I wonder whats the use of such a device. Hell, buy a PS2 instead, already has a library of 10000 games. And same cost.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Shuklar

They’re providing the emulator, not the ROMs right (the commercial ones)? Is distributing emulators illegal now? Serious question – I haven’t bothered with emulation in over a decade. I always thought emulators are fine if used to play home developed games, yet it was the ROMs that were illegal if piracy took place.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 it’s not, but people use them for illegal activity I guess. It’s a grey area that devs never seem to step in and stop. I’m guessing it’s because they can’t basically.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Fin

Yer, I just meant in relation to this rubbish: http://www.destructoid.com/the-top-twenty-games-people-want-on-ouya-231221.phtml

@4 Emulators are to roms as torrents are to piracy.
    Sure you can use them for other things, but nobody ever does.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dragon246

@Fin,
    See, that’s why I don’t trust these Ouya fellows. Half of those just NEVER would make it on that platform (FIFA, Battlefield, NFS, SKYRIM REALLY?). Its was just a marketing bs to lure some uninformed people into buying Ouya.

#7 1 year ago
  8. monkeygourmet

I will get an Ouya for XBMC and emulation / homebrew if it’s available and the pad doesn’t suck balls.

#8 1 year ago
  9. janelrobbinson

Ouya has to start somewhere and they know they can’t target AAA gamers without titles and they can’t get titles without games. So who else is there to target? The casual gamer? People who still love classics? Nostalgic gamers maybe? Allowing emulators is a obvious choice for a 32 bit generation console equivalent, what Ouya is doing is the best positioning strategy I’ve seen since the Wii. They have earned my respect and a place on my WishPlz list ( http://bit.ly/10g4Szi ).

#9 1 year ago