Elder Scrolls Online will “cut through the noise” of crowded MMO market

Monday, 25th March 2013 08:05 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls Online game director Matt Firor has stated that having the might of a big IP like Bethesda’s RPG series in the MMO scene will help differentiate it from the rest of the crowded market.

Speaking with GI.biz, Firor said, “It is a crowded space, but this is Elder Scrolls. One of things of having a huge IP like Elder Scrolls is it cuts through the noise. It’s safe to say – looking at the lines for people to play – that everyone knows about it.

“That is the first step to getting a lot of people into the game. Part of the crowded landscape is it’s hard to get your message out there. When you say ‘Elder Scrolls’, we don’t have a problem getting the message out, which helps us immensely”.

Firor believes the IP is ripe for the MMO treatment. It’s a natural fit he believes will see players flocking to it in droves, “Elder Scrolls is definitely a quality target, but everything it brings with it intrinsically is almost perfectly suited for an MMO. Giant open world, lots of cool classes, lots of history and depth, the cool combat system that you just experienced.

“That came from Elder Scrolls. That by far outweighs the expectations of the crowd who hear Elder Scrolls and want to come in. We want to make it meet their expectations,”

On the actual hands-on experience, Firor added that fans who already know how The Elder Scrolls games work will no issue getting accustomed to Bethesda’s MMO landscape, but newcomers might need to think about it a bit.

What about you readers? Does the Elder Scrolls Online present an attractive prospect, or do you prefer to fly solo? Let us know below.

1. Hcw87

Recently watched http://www.twitch.tv/gamebreakertv/b/380963421, and there’s an interview with as guy that’s currently playing the game. Sounds really enthusiastic, and there’s alot of info about the game.

#1 1 year ago
  2. tezzer1985

Ermm I’m sure EA thought the same with Star Wars

#2 1 year ago
  3. viralshag

@2, Exactly. Are people desperate for another fantasy MMO? Are people even bothered about a TES MMO?

My bet is this will be like any other MMO in recent history. HUGE beta interest, slow numbers to start – maybe 800k-1.2m subs/players, struggles to break 2m players, rides off into the sunset and hear little about it after the first 6 months to a year.

#3 1 year ago
  4. GwynbleiddiuM

Except Elder Scrolls is not half the brand that Star Wars is and look how that helped EA in succeeding in a ‘crowded space’ so to speak.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Tavarish

@4 It could be argued that EA / BW put way too much time into voice overing every single line of dialog which caused serious lack of end game that then drove a lot people out. Only “true SW fans” sticked to SWTOR and some have went back since F2P.

ESO has change of success if they can deliver more than Skyrim: Multiplayer Edition and don’t front load all content like SWTOR did. There needs to be actual meat at the end game, more than 1x PvP BG, 1x 5man instance and 1x Yman raid. End game content and amount of it, even for fresh released MMO, means A LOT and has huge factor in it if people sticks around.

In my opinion anyways.

#5 1 year ago
  6. GwynbleiddiuM

@5 No argues there. SWTOR indeed lacks end-game content. But ESO guys haven’t exactly showed anything yet to make such statements. Personally I loved the storytelling in SWTOR, as I have said before that part is SWTOR’s one redeeming quality, but when it came to end-game content I really wasn’t motivated enough.

They need to start showing what makes ESO so special and one of a kind sort of experience instead of trying to paint an abstract picture of it. All we have is a single video footage of early stages of development.

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheWulf

I think the only MMO I’d get excited about at this point is a Mass Effect MMO which has exactly the same sort of gameplay as the multiplayer. I have four distinct problems with MMOs as they are now and they are rarely fixed. Few have come even remotely close, and I wish more would try.

Combat & AI

One of the main problems with the vast majority of MMOs out there is that the combat isn’t really very engaging. The AI makes a beeline for you and you hammer keys. Sniping, positioning, tactics, and so on are largely irrelevant. Skill, too. But if you were to play just about any faction on the platinum difficulty in the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, then you’d see the difference.

In ME3′s MP, you have great AI for one thing. Cerberus uses smoke bombs at choke points to try and pin you down. Geth bombers poop grenades in order to try to bring you out of cover. Geth Primes always have an entourage of other units with them, and never travel alone. And the units are very good at defending each other. When that atlas is keeping your attention, an engineer is setting up a turret behind your back.

And it feels fun. The mix of guns and powers (in some cases effectively space magic) is absolutely brilliant. Vanguards are a blast to play. And I think I’ve spent more time playing ME3′s MP than I have playing any MMO in long, long, long time.

Now, if a game had the combat and AI of Mass Effect, I’d be very pleased.

Story, Choice, and Consequence

Here’s one of the places where I think Bethesda will fall flat, as in general they’re just not very good at storytelling. Worldbuilding? Yes, they’re brilliant at that. But stories? Not so much. Now, Obsidian and BioWare are great story-tellers, and whilst I really hated the gameplay of SWTOR, I appreciated the writing.

The problem with SWTOR though is that the consequences were incredibly cosmetic. I wish an MMO would have the balls to actually shuffle people up into different world hubs based upon decisions. Even slightly different versions of the same world hub. If single player games can do it, MMOs can. I mean, if you make a certain choice, you end up in version 15 of a world hub, where two certain characters have died, and one other is alive. That things never change in MMOs is tiresome.

Someone needs to try that — with instantiated hubs based upon your choices. To be honest, I’m kind of bored of open world MMOs at the moment. I’d really like to see something that’s instanced in a similar manner to DDO, but with more accounting for player choices.

Limited Repertoire

In an RPG you’re usually lavished with choices. Look at something like the Mass Effect series or Fallout: New Vegas. You can solve a problem in a number of different ways. You can befriend a faction or kill their leader and take charge. To borrow an example from the first Fallout — you can deal with a corrupt governor by killing him, bargaining with him, or planting a listening device to get evidence of his misdeeds.

MMOs tend to only have “Kill Shit” stats. Statistics which are only relevant to killing things. This is what makes it a very different game than the Fallout games. Also, the existence of an MMO is devoted to the “kill shit” ethos and provides no other methods of play. This really removes the RPG part and means it’s ultimately just an MMO.

A few have tried, like with Vanguard’s diplomacy system and Guild Wars 2′s jumping puzzles. And I really appreciate that. But I wish there was a stronger effort. There’s more kinds of content out there than just killing things, and perhaps the lack of variety is what turns people off of MMOs the most.

The Copy-Pasted Theme

How many fantasy MMOs do we have, now? Even Star Wars: The Old Republic is basically a fantasy RPG but with reskinned magic. A light saber isn’t that different from a flamesword, after all. I’d much rather play as a geth in a Mass Effect MMO, or a deathclaw in a Fallout MMO. I’m tired of everyone trying to copy everyone else.

So there we go. My four big issues with MMOs. I doubt we’ll see them solved any time soon… but I can hope. Some have come close, but none of them have managed to hit on all four. Maybe someday.

#7 1 year ago
  8. GwynbleiddiuM

@TheWulf You wont see me arguing with that. But, building a story driven universe upon player choices will be quite difficult. A game like that would need an active team of writers to expand upon the ever shifting world, creating a whole bunch of content which wont be accessible by all. But man if they could make that happen it would be awesome.

#8 1 year ago
  9. KineticCalvaria

@1 how adorable, you’re really trying to hold onto the tiniest bit of hope that this game won’t suck. Bless.

#9 1 year ago