Defiance beta goes live for PS Plus members this weekend

Tuesday, 19th March 2013 13:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Trion Worlds is offering PlayStation Plus members an exclusive beta to try out Defiance.

From Friday March 22 until Monday March 25, PlayStation Plus members can join the beta and also pick the MMO up for 20% off at launch from April 2 until April 17.

The discount means you will be paying £27.99/€31.99 instead of £34.99/€39.99.

This is the final beta test for Defiance before it goes live, and users will be able to explore the Mt. Tam and Madera regions and participate in co-op on Angel Island and the Cronkhite Bunker.

Those wanting to try out competitive multiplayer action, have no fear: the Freight yard and Observatory will provide such opportunities.

It will also be made available for Xbox 360 users.

Get more information on the PS Blog.

1. mreko3230

Am I the only one hoping that this is actually a good game?. If it delivers, it could provide hours of gameplay. We will see, I guess.

2. DrDamn

No it could be really quite good. /crosses fingers

3. zinc

All I know about this game, is that Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek) is in the linked tv series…

Is it a fps, or third person?

4. DrDamn

TPS.

PR blurb …
    “Defiance is a ground-breaking entertainment experience which connects the TV world to a multi-platform, multiplayer online video game. The game combines the intense action of a third-person shooter, with the persistence and scale of a massive online game, while its TV counterpart promises the scope, story and drama of a classic sci-fi epic.”

5. viralshag

I’ve already pre-ordered my deluxe edition directly from Trion. Love those guys, I want them to take my money.

I’m really looking forward to the TV show as well as the game. I’m hoping that there is a distinct lack of advertising in the hope this will be bit of a sleeper hit, maybe? From the snippets I have seen and the people they have on board (CGI guy from BSG) it could be a great sci-fi show, which I think TV is sorely missing at the moment.

Regarding the game, I have been playing the Alpha for a while and it’s really polished and plays well too. I’m a total Trion fanboy though, so I might be completely biased. I’m expecting a nice clean launch and their usual top-notch customer service. I really hope the game and show do well.

6. CyberMarco

Is it gonna be released only digitally? How is it gonna play, with subscription or micro-transactions? Will it be MMO only with no single-player story etc?

7. viralshag

@6, You only need to buy the game, there’s no sub. There are MTs.

Expect it to play like an MMO as, well, it is one. I don’t think there is any SP story elements to it. I could be wrong though.

8. zinc

As a longtime PS3 player, the idea of having to talk to other players disgusts me :-S

Leave all that to the Xbox nubs.

:-P