Zynga: ‘tablets becoming the ultimate gaming platform’

Monday, 18th March 2013 15:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Zynga’s president of games Steve Chiang has explained in a new interview why he feels tablets will become the ultimate gaming platform in the near-future.

The company has come out of a rocky year, which saw it bombarded with financial woe, claims of copycat development and a heated lawsuit with EA.

Regardless, the company sees new life in the tablet market, which it will be fully embracing moving forward.

Speaking with GI.biz, Chiang said of the attractive tablet market, “I think the tablet’s becoming almost the ultimate game platform. I play before I go to bed, and when I wake up, I play on my tablet.

“Imagine FarmVille 2 on a tablet, you can see the detail on a bigger farm and be able to manipulate things, getting a full experience on a tablet. We announced in the earnings call that FarmVille 2 is coming to mobile, and tablets. I expect a number of our ‘Ville games to come to tablets in 2013.”

Elsewhere Chiang explained that Zynga’s focus on the mid-core market and tablets makes for a perfect match. Tablets are easily accessible and usually by our side, while the games produced by the company are perfect for quick bursts of play and a casual approach.

What do you make of tablets as a viable gaming platform? Let us know below.

1. _LarZen_

Tablets is a viable gaming platform, no doubt about that. The power in tablets are just going to get better and better.

Giving us visuals one would not dream of having on these kind of devices some years back.

But even with all this technological progress gaming on tablets will be very limited to special types of games.

The lack of a control mechanism will hold back the tablets, but already this year Samsung will deliver a game controller for the Galaxy S4. That could be the start of a change or evolution of the gaming landscape as we know it.

Exciting times indeed!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Djoenz

Title is misquoted. I see what you did there lol.
    He thinks its almost becoming ultimate gaming platform.

Depends on what types of games you are into. I dont want no freeking touchscreen based games which is al about microtransactions or premium items. Piss off ultimate gaming platform my ass.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 Quite right, thanks. I’ve changed it so it’s accurate. Thanks for spotting :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. zinc

Actually, thinking about it, I agree with #6.

I can imagine a gaming tablet, bundled with a controller, that you can link up to your big screen telly.

Wouldn’t pay $599 for it though!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Sini

Tablets have really shit controls, never going to happen. It will never rise from being a casual trash.

#5 1 year ago
  6. G1GAHURTZ

Not current tablets, but I think I’d happily pay $599 for a console in tablet form!

A dockable tablet/console hybrid is surely the future of gaming…

#6 1 year ago
  7. polygem

@6: now let´s see what ms´s next thing will look like. i got a feeling it could be just that. i mean they surley want to have a share in the mobile gaming market…they never really faced the competition against ds/3ds psp/vita. with a xbox720 tablet/console hybrid, combined with xbla, they could catapult themselves into pole position.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DrDamn

Yeah, think MS may well have seriously considered this, but it would take a lot of balls to do this. Sony and MS are hampered to a degree by their direct competitiveness. Hence they end up going for lower risk options. If they went that route they’d need to cede a serious amount in the power stakes and that could be damaging to their existing customer base for unknown success elsewhere.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Samoan Spider

You can already connect a tablet via HDMI to a tv with a wireless controller in tow. But all it would take is for someone to seriously take up this challenge with a decent dock. I think Apple are considering this as their next step. There’s been talk of an Apple ‘console’ for a while now and Apple will take their time and release something for the magpie’s amongst us when its right to do so. Not a fan of iThings lately though so my money would be on an Android tablet to do this more competently in the not too distant future. Especially with its open source nature and abundance of quad core devices. With octo core/tegra 4 devices on the way soon they could very well rival a console for visuals if they’d only give us a decent control method.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Phoenixblight

There have been rumors of an Apple console since the first Nintendo. Time and time again they have shown they are not interested in it and if the AppleTV has shown anything they aren’t doing anything related to getting the console market. They make more money off the iPad and iPhone.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Samoan Spider

@10 Aye, that’s definitely true, but they can’t ignore the fact that there is a huge number of games on their platform, a huge number of users and a huge number of blind masses willing to pay extortionately high prices for shiny iThings so whilst they make a lot of money off iPad, iPod and iPhone, they need something new and exciting to make the shareholders comfortable. If you’re doing well, the last thing you do is sit back and wait, else you have nothing to keep you going if business slow downs down on your current products.

#11 1 year ago
  12. mistermogul

Tablets are great for touch-based games but shit for traditional console titles. It’s that reason why I think they will never be the “ultimate gaming platform”.

#12 1 year ago